Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

WhyMe420
Premium
join:2009-04-06
kudos:1

New 3800HGV-B Firmware

So, I was playing some Dead Island with a friend a few hours ago and I got disconnected. The 2Wire rebooted, took forever, and then finally reconnected. For a moment I thought it was dying, but it's back up and running fine now. My DMZ+ and firewall settings luckily weren't erased either. Haven't really looked too much into it but I do know that it is now at 6.3.7.42-plus.tm (previous was 6.1.9.24-enh.tm.)

I'll snoop around some more with it tomorrow, but so far the only difference I have noticed is that the Ethernet light now blinks a tad slower than it used to during activity.

I have noticed that my noise margin, max rate and line capacity have gotten worse, however I am about to do a reboot to see if there is any difference.

Upon rebooting I have noticed it reboots quite a bit faster now. It also syncs just a tad faster than it used to. I have checked my stats again, and they are again lower than they used to be. Noise Margin has dropped from 20 dB to 19dB. Attenuation is about the same, Max Rate dropped from around 53300 to 50175. Line capacity is up to 64.2% from 59-60%.

I'm not sure if my line conditions have actually changed or that this is due to the new firmware, as it has been quite a while since I checked all the stats. Line has been rock-solid overall, so haven't really felt a need to monitor the stats. Bitloading graph is roughly the same as it usually is, though.

Anyway, I'll lurk around the configuration pages sometime tomorrow, as it is now 5am and I need to get some sleep.

By the way, I need to figure out how to get UV Realtime working on Windows 8, as WinPcap keeps saying unsupported operating system when I try to instal UVRT. Tried Win7 Compatibility Mode as well, no go. Maybe I can try and install WinPcap separately tomorrow. Windows 8 is pretty much Windows 7 with a new interface currently, so theoretically it should work just fine on Win8. For now, I'm just on Win7 checking out UVRT on the new firmware. Still works fine.

PremTech101

@aircloud.com

Funny how they keep rolling FW's out for the 3600 and 3800 but not the INID's. Damn shame!

Nuckfuts
Premium
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL

Just noticed today that mine is changed to 6.3.7.42-plus.tm. Also noticed the ethernet light not blinking as fast during activity. My line capacity is usually around 60,000 but at 58,113 but I noticed I need to reboot weekly to keep my line at 60,000. Noise margin is a tad higher but everything else looks the same.

utoo

@sbcglobal.net

Mine is upgraded to 6.3.7.42-plus.tm too. Don't know what this does but hope for the better. Been having intermittent loss of broadband connection almost everyday and only a reboot would bring it back. At one point, had to reboot the modem/router three times in one day.

Splork

join:2001-02-20
Austin, TX
reply to WhyMe420

Any idea what this new FW is offering? Or is it just a stability release?

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:3
reply to WhyMe420

I did find this:

»forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Ga···/2890867

"There is a firmware update coming for the 2Wire 3800HGV-B and 3600HGV routers - an upgrade from version 6.1.9.24 to version 6.3.7.42.

My UVRT stats database show that it is beginning to roll out, with about 8-9% of the 3600/3800 gateways in the database upgraded so far.

This version is likely to include some of the newer code that the 3801 and iNID have, including newer HPNA code and possibly overallocation of bits on the line to increase error robustness."

--

I don't know what it all entails, but since my line was maxing out at 24/3 before the upgrade, and still is maxing out at 24/3 now, it is safe to say it didn't break anything.

At least, not for me.

As for Windows 8: There are significant "under the hood" changes that you don't see in the interface, and WinPCAP needs the tcp/ip stack to be a certain version, which is why it often need an upgrade when changing a service pack. WinPCAP can work in Windows 8, if WinPCAP gives us a version that is compatable with it.

That said, I wouldn't run Windows 8 in a production environment.... it is really just a developer release, and there is still plenty wrong with it at this early stage.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

WhyMe420
Premium

Checked my stats, they're a little better than before, as long as I get the 32/5 profile I'm good. 24/3 still going at 23/2.86 with 26ms ping so no probs. Basically the new firmware isn't all that exciting it seems, at least compared to when we first got 6.1.9.24-enh.tm.

I know Win8 has "under the hood" changes, as it is NT version 6.2.8102, vs Win7 SP1's 6.1.7601, and Vista SP2's 6.0.6002. However over 90% of the drivers that work in Vista, work in 7, and over 90% of the drivers I have installed on 8, are the exact same drivers I use on 7, and they work perfectly.

WinPcap is just simply refusing to even attempt to install, due to "unsupported version." Who knows, if it would actually attempt, it might work just fine, like most other drivers/software. However, it is not alone in refusing to work on Win8.

I also know that I shouldn't use Win8 in a "production environment," which is why on the two machines I have it installed, I installed it on a separate partition, instead of "upgrading" Win7, like some people do, and regret. I also even have Vista 32-bit, for things that don't work on 7 64-bit (not very many things, but they are out there.) I also know that Win8 is a developer preview, hell it says that every time I boot either machine, even when I am booting another OS (new Win8 bootloader.)

I've got Win8 running on an i7 2600K @ 4.3 GHz with an Intel SSD, alongside 7 and Vista, as well as on an Atom 1.6GHz netbook, which also has 7 alongside. 8 boots quite fast, however I have learned that when you "shut down" 8, it actually hibernates, thus explaining the "faster" boot on the netbook. On the i7 rig with the SSD, little-to-no difference in 7 and 8 boot times, no need to hibernate with an SSD unless you need to save your current state.

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
kudos:2
reply to WhyMe420

LAN Stats page looks like it got a much needed fix.
The real time HPNA test works.
»192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_5

WhyMe420
Premium

Ahh, I'll have to check that out. I have no need for the HPNA tests though, as I disconnected that over a year ago. Would've been nice to have though, and I'm sure others will make use of it. Anything else? I haven't really looked too much into the pages, yet.

arealdsltech
Premium
join:2007-02-27
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to WhyMe420

I noticed I have this new firmware (6.3.7.42-plus.tm). One difference I found is the wireless power setting is now listed in mW (50mW to 400mW) instead of (1-10). No stability issues noticed as of yet, firmware active for 12 days as of this posing.
--
All opinions are my own.!.?.

Mr Anon

@sbcglobal.net
reply to WhyMe420

I had another thread and found out there was an update going on my calling for support for a different issue. I got a reply when I asked if anyone knew what the update was for.

»Re: Rg died again, self replacement?

Hilbe

join:2002-12-13
Fishers, IN
reply to WhyMe420

My IP address allocation is working a lot better. Before I could only allocate up to x.x.x.1 to x.x.x.65 or so. Now I can allocate all the way to .255.

btur389w

join:2009-09-22
kudos:4
reply to WhyMe420

i don't know if anyone's noticed, however the USB Networking option appears under Wired Interfaces now? i don't remember seeing this before?

If you have seen it, have you tried it and gotten it to work?

teicher

join:2010-06-30
reply to WhyMe420

How long does it take for fw updates to reach the rest of us? I know that you can't force an update...

teicher

join:2010-06-30

New firmware was installed on my 3600 today. I've had a few more uncorrected blocks than normal, but otherwise the line is stable.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
reply to WhyMe420

My wifi isn't nearly as strong after this update. I used to be able to reach the RG from anywhere in the house, not anymore.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN

Did they change the default wifi power level, by any chance? If so, then maybe you can change it back.

Nuckfuts
Premium
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL

Default is 400 mW. Well, mine still was after the firmware upgrade and I saw no decrease in wireless coverage.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to WhyMe420

Yep, I checked that, it's at 400mw.

It still works acceptably, I just needed to move a couple of my devices to connect to a second access point.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:3
reply to WhyMe420

There is this thread going on about a potential new profile with a potentially new, faster internet..... I wonder if this rollout has got anything to do with that and is preparting the RG's for such a case.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

mibrnsurg

join:2003-07-28
Grosse Pointe, MI
reply to PremTech101

That .42 update was just to give us some operability that the INID already had.

Chris