join:2007-11-20
Niagara Falls, ON

DjEclipse to flipper4

to flipper4

Re: ikTel Networks - Niagara ISP

said by flipper4:

Hey Dj,

How's the phone working for ya?

Phone is working well so far, it took a while to find my Demarc from Bell but once I found that I "disconnected" the bell line coming into the house and all phone jacks work as they did before.

I am not experiencing any delay when making calls like you were, has that been fixed for you?

Also, when doing speed tests you have to use the Hamilton location from speedtest.net. The others will give you slow & inaccurate results. results.

Awol
@cogentco.com

Awol

Anon

Thanks for the info on the phone DJ, you didn't have to buy any special phones or nothing just the voip thing? I been with Iktel since june and have been waitin to get rid of my bell everything, phone has been last to go.
DjEclipse
join:2007-11-20
Niagara Falls, ON

DjEclipse

said by Awol :

Thanks for the info on the phone DJ, you didn't have to buy any special phones or nothing just the voip thing? I been with Iktel since june and have been waitin to get rid of my bell everything, phone has been last to go.

I found with a little research that you can go 2 ways.

1. Buy a bunch of VOIP phones and put them all over the house/ office.

2. But an ATA VOIP modem and plug a phone into the modem. To expand on that, if you are able to locate the Bell Demarcation point (the point where the main bell line enters your home) and disconnect Bell from your internal phone wiring, you can then have the ATA VOIP modem as your new Demarcation point. Simply plug a phone line form any existing phone jack into the ATA VOIP modem and all your jacks throughout the house will be active. But if you don't disconnect form the outside bell network you will fry the VOIP modem (and it probably wont work in the first place).
flipper4
join:2011-09-02
Niagara On The Lake, ON

flipper4 to DjEclipse

to DjEclipse
Unfortunately, no it not. Brought the ATA to allan, gave me a new one he programmed. But same thing...takes atleast 10 seconds before a calls goes through.
Yeah, I use Hamilton's server. Still getting really slow speeds...between 2-6 Mbps... Not quite the 16/1 i USED to get.
Bell's been trying to get me to switch back. Offering me really sweet deals. Phone and Internet will be paying only half of what I use to pay..