spc
Search similar:

uniqs

feesfrees
@vpl.ca

feesfrees

Anon

Not exactly a deal

For those that like to go on how $50 for 3G for life is not a bad deal when the only object of the 3G is to give you access to Amazon.com
would those same people be like hey Wall-mart only charges $5/year to access their store ...
Places like Costco charge because you are getting a "deal" that will pay back the membership but in this case Amazon has no store you can walk into and they are basically charging you to access their stuff anytime in the USA. Seems they could have just thrown it on for free considering that e-books are more expensive then most paperbacks and a heck of a lot cheaper for Amazon to ship.

asdfdfdfdfdf
@myvzw.com

asdfdfdfdfdf

Anon

But they aren't charging you to access their store. You can still, if you choose, buy the less expensive product without wi-fi or 3g, access their store through your normal internet connection, download books on your computer and then move them onto your reader(which is what I have to do with my sony reader). What you are paying for is the convenience of having the 3g hardware and lifetime 3g access on the reader so that you can buy and load books anywhere anytime without being tethered to your computer. If that isn't worth $50 to you then you can buy the cheaper kindle, but it seems reasonable to me given the high monthly cost of 3g services in the US.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

said by asdfdfdfdfdf :

But they aren't charging you to access their store. You can still, if you choose, buy the less expensive product without wi-fi or 3g, access their store through your normal internet connection, download books on your computer and then move them onto your reader(which is what I have to do with my sony reader). What you are paying for is the convenience of having the 3g hardware and lifetime 3g access on the reader so that you can buy and load books anywhere anytime without being tethered to your computer. If that isn't worth $50 to you then you can buy the cheaper kindle, but it seems reasonable to me given the high monthly cost of 3g services in the US.

Just so. You are buying an ereader...not a general-purpose tablet. Pearl e-ink format is superior for readability, but not at all ideal for web browsing. The 3G connectivity is really meant for the purpose of making it convenient to download books from the Amazon store regardless of your whereabouts...not much else.