share rss forum feed

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:3

This is futile.

They blocked Piratebay in Denmark, and according to Piratebay themselves there is no change in traffic (actually, I think they mentioned there was an increase) from Danish IP addresses.

People just use OpenDNS instead of their ISP's website, ot visit one of the dozens (if not hundreds) of other torrent sites that mirror-publish the PB tracker, and/or add their own tracker to the torrent. As the article already states, these kind of blocks are easy to navigate around, and won't stop piracy one bit.

Here we see the Belgian copyright hunters, taking YEARS to get 1 website blocked, and from what happened in Denmark, it will probably increase traffic to the site now that it has got media attention. Over the years we have seen it time and time again.... some copyright organization spends millions in legal fees to get one site taken down, and 10 others have already popped up.

Furthermore, P2P with encryption is slowly starting to gain some ground. It needs more users to get more speed, but projects like I2P (»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I2P) are starting to become used more and more. If the industry really continues on the warpath, they will find that P2P will move and fight back.

The industry should really focus on DRM-free media for an affordable price. I don't want to be told I can't make a copy of that DVD for the backseat of the car, and that I HAVE to leave my originals in the baking California summer sun when we go on road trips, and I don't want to be told I can't rip my favorite CD's to MP3 so I can listen to them in the car, and I certainly don't want to be told I can't take 20 movies on my laptop when traveling to Europe, and that I have to lug along 20 original blu-rays.

As long as the industry just doesn't get that.... Piracy will simply prevail. They are continuously shooting themselves in the foot by protecting their media, with protections that will have been cracked within weeks of the first media hitting the market. Music and Video are not GAMES you have to activate (hence the success of steam).

But the industry is probably never going to change.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"