spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

join:2004-02-05
New York, NY

What's the point?

First of all, I bet the video quality is going to be shit. Will they be delivering the full 18 Mbps 1080i MPEG-2 feeds Verizon currently broadcasts some of their better HD channels (HDNet, EPIX) at?

Secondly, it requires Xbox Live Gold? What kind of a joke is this? AT&T U-verse's application on the Xbox 360 does not require a Gold subscription. In fact, you can use it without connecting to Xbox Live at all. This is just Microsoft trying to squeeze their way into the middle of everyone and extract money from all parties involved again. This is the entire point of the Xbox 360: build a proprietary computer, charge licensing fees to everyone who wants to release programs on said proprietary computer, charge fees to everyone who wants to run said programs on said proprietary computer, charge fees to everyone who wants to add new content to said programs, and on and on and on.

Finally, a superior solution to use the Xbox 360 as a set-top box/DVR on any cable provider (including FiOS) already exists. You can get a CableCARD tuner such as the Ceton InfiniTV 4 (which can record/view up to 4 channels at once), stick it in a Windows 7 PC, and then connect to that PC via your home network and watch your cable TV on your Xbox 360 already by using its "Media Center" function. This solution is here now, it doesn't require subscribing to Xbox Live Gold, and it works great.

This CableCARD-based solution will be cheaper in the long-run, probably offer better quality video, and it will be more flexible - as much storage as you want to put in your Windows 7 PC, that's how much storage you get on with this CableCARD tuner. So if you have 10 SATA ports on your motherboard, and you want to put in 10 4 terabyte hard drives, congratulations, you now have a 40 terabyte DVR.

If they REALLY wanted to shake up the market, Verizon could be offering their FiOS TV service over the Internet to anyone on any ISP who wants to subscribe. Deliver HDNet and NFL Network via the Internet like Netflix to Time Warner Cable DOCSIS 3.0 subscribers living nowhere near a FiOS area? That would sure shake up the market.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2

said by 45612019:

Finally, a superior solution to use the Xbox 360 as a set-top box/DVR on any cable provider (including FiOS) already exists. You can get a CableCARD tuner such as the Ceton InfiniTV 4 (which can record/view up to 4 channels at once), stick it in a Windows 7 PC, and then connect to that PC via your home network and watch your cable TV on your Xbox 360 already by using its "Media Center" function. This solution is here now, it doesn't require subscribing to Xbox Live Gold, and it works great.

This CableCARD-based solution will be cheaper in the long-run, probably offer better quality video, and it will be more flexible - as much storage as you want to put in your Windows 7 PC, that's how much storage you get on with this CableCARD tuner. So if you have 10 SATA ports on your motherboard, and you want to put in 10 4 terabyte hard drives, congratulations, you now have a 40 terabyte DVR.

I have this solution and you are mostly spot on. However you won't get better video quality (impossible, it's digital video and bits are bits.)

40TB DVR...eh ok. I have 2TB and no time to watch all that I've recorded. Besides to put 10 drives in your PC you need a really hefty power supply. Probably something like 1000 watts (just guessing here).

With my Ceton and 4 OTA Tuners I record all of primetime with tuners to spare. Nights with Dancing with the stars, American Idol and X-Factor are no worries!

If they REALLY wanted to shake up the market, Verizon could be offering their FiOS TV service over the Internet to anyone on any ISP who wants to subscribe. Deliver HDNet and NFL Network via the Internet like Netflix to Time Warner Cable DOCSIS 3.0 subscribers living nowhere near a FiOS area? That would sure shake up the market.

Cable providers will never be allowed by the networks to do this. Trust me on this one.

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1
reply to 45612019

I have a CableCARD device and I can't get On Demand content with FiOS with this solution. I already pay for an Xbox Live Gold subscription, and this would give me the option to watch On Demand content using equipment/services that I already own.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
reply to 45612019

Many people already have Xbox Gold subscriptions.. those that do will have access.. those that don't, well, then the traditional cable box must be their option then right? $60 a year = $5 a month. Xbox 360 = far super UI over Motorola Box with iGuide. If they expand more and more TV and eventually the full cable box experience, then that $60 Xbox Gold subscription that many people already have is a non-issue.

As for the "superior solution" you offered - not everyone out in the pay TV world wants to build an expensive computer solution at the tune of hundreds of dollars, or more,.. for some it's great! For others, the simplicity of an Xbox might be better.

Choice is wonderful. I just love when people work hard to debunk these new choices being offered when they often forget that no one option is "best" since the solution has to match the need.

join:2004-02-05
New York, NY

You know, choices are wonderful. I welcome new choices. But not when they're blatantly inferior choices. I just don't see the point.

Verizon needs to be focusing on adding MORE HD CHANNELS! Not screwing around with limited Xbox 360 IPTV applications... unless they're going to do it the right way. Only having 26 channels available to the service, requiring you subscribe to Xbox Live Gold to obtain the service, likely charging you an additional fee on your monthly bill to use the service, and not offering the service to people without a physical FiOS connection... is not the right way.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

said by 45612019:

You know, choices are wonderful. I welcome new choices. But not when they're blatantly inferior choices. I just don't see the point.

Verizon needs to be focusing on adding MORE HD CHANNELS! Not screwing around with limited Xbox 360 IPTV applications... unless they're going to do it the right way. Only having 26 channels available to the service, requiring you subscribe to Xbox Live Gold to obtain the service, likely charging you an additional fee on your monthly bill to use the service, and not offering the service to people without a physical FiOS connection... is not the right way.

They can't just go out and offer the content to anyone. To do that would they would need approval from the content providers which would probably mean they would have to pay them more money, negotiate contracts etc.. And that is assuming the content providers would want that, which they do not.