spc
uniqs
jice65
join:2003-10-08
San Francisco, CA

jice65 to wayjac

to wayjac

Re: [Modem] 2Wire 2701HG-B DC Power Adapter Failed

Thanks. I'm at 1.5 years, so out of warranty.

I've now read reports that these power supplies are unreliable. Do you know if the dsl model will run on a generic 6v power supply from Radio Shack? Or, would that be temping fate?

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by jice65:

I've now read reports that these power supplies are unreliable

There are plenty of threads here about how unreliable the 2wire power supply is
I don't agree............
said by jice65:

Do you know if the dsl model will run on a generic 6v power supply from Radio Shack? Or, would that be temping fate?

As long as the generic power supply meets or exceeds the specs of the original power supply.....yes

You should have look at the att 2wire power supply the price is likley less than a generic power supply
att 2wire power supply
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway to jice65

Premium Member

to jice65
DO NOT use a 6V power supply- this is too high a voltage. Also, you need a power supply that has a 3-pin plug where it connects to the AC outlet- the third pin (AC Ground) is connected to the phone-line surge-suppression circuitry inside of the modem.

I am not aware of any generic replacement power supplies which will work correctly. I have read that some people have succeeded in calling 2Wire and getting them to send out a free replacement power supply, even though the modem is past the warranty period.

The power supplies that are currently being provided with the 2701 have "2Wire" written in white ink (the older power supplies used red lettering) and have a flat cord connecting the power supply to the modem (the older cord was round). These are supposed to be an improved design and less subject to failure.
jice65
San Francisco, CA

jice65

Thanks.

I'm currently borrowing one that appears to be the "new" design. It came from ATT included with a 2Wire within the past year.

The one that failed was the "old" design.

The picture for the one sold on ATT looks like the "old" design. Does that represent the actual unit that would be shipped? Perhaps a new "new" version would actually be sent.

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by jice65:

The one that failed was the "old" design

I doubt that the "design" has any bearing on the life of the power supply
said by jice65:

The picture for the one sold on ATT looks like the "old" design. Does that represent the actual unit that would be shipped?

I don't know which design you'll get
The power supply will have a one year warranty
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

The newer power supply is rated for a higher current, so the version certainly does matter regarding how reliable it will be. Also, rumor has it that some of the older units were built with faulty components; supposedly, this has been corrected in the new ones. The new power supplies have not been out long enough to verify that they will actually be more reliable over the long haul, however.

If you get a new power supply from 2Wire or AT&T, it will almost certainly be the revised version; all of the original ones should be out of the supply chain by now. If you buy from eBay, etc., all bets are off regarding what will be shipped.
jice65
San Francisco, CA

jice65 to daveinpoway

to daveinpoway
Thanks for your suggestion; 2Wire was helpful in providing a replacement.