Marcer
Premium,VIP
join:2007-07-08
Hamilton, ON
kudos:13

1 edit

1 recommendation

Digital Transitions

I’ve been asked by our new Moderator to try and clarify some recent changes with the way TV service is being provided in Cogeco areas.

There have been 2 separate but similar “Transitions” from Analog to Digital broadcasting. These transitions have the same goal, to allow Broadcasters and service providers to be more efficient in their delivery of TV service.

The first transition was the Over-The-Air transition. This occurred on August 31st as mandated by the CRTC to the Broadcasters. This change ONLY impacted people using an Antenna or Rabbit ears to receive Local stations (Such as CBC, CTV, Global, CityTV, Omni 1 & 2). These stations changed to a Digital signal, and now require a “box” connected to the antenna feed for many older TV sets (Note: Newer TVs do NOT need a “box”). These local feeds continue to be carried in an analog format as part of Cogeco’s Basic Cable package – so they are not impacted

The second transition is a Cable service Transition. This is being rolled out by Cogeco in stages across the Ontario and Quebec Systems in an effort to move specialty channels to a Digital signal. This change impacts all Cogeco TV customers, except those on “Basic Cable”. Customers with specialty channels such as A&E, History, HGTV, and Showcase will require a “box” on every TV to continue to watch these channels. Cogeco is contacting customers when our records show they need a box to arrange delivery and/or installation. This change is allowing Cogeco to provide additional services, such as enhanced High Definition offerings.

vuarra

join:2005-10-11
Hamilton, ON

Marcer:

Thank you for a detailed and succinct post. My only question on this is, if someone has an analogue TV set, will this box work for them?

Marcer
Premium,VIP
join:2007-07-08
Hamilton, ON
kudos:13

In both cases (OTA and Cogeco) the purpose of the "box" is to provide an analog Signal compatible with an "analog" TV (Usually you set your TV to channel 3)

cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently

join:2011-04-19
Hamilton, ON
reply to Marcer

should have done this months ago, man.

Kraftyy

join:2010-06-19
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Marcer

To add to this post the requirements in order to get this Adapter.

Customers on Analogue Value Pack:
Entitled to two Digital Adapters free any adapters after these two are $2.00/month each. Price of the package will drop to 47.49 from 50.49 for the first 12 months.

Digital Customers BEFORE September 1st 2010:
Entitled to ONE free digital adapter and any after that is $2.00 a month each.

Digital Customers AFTER September 1st 2010:
NOT ENTITLED TO AN ADAPTER AND NEED A RECEIVER

Anyone telling you otherwise is wrong.

Bry

join:2008-12-31
Canada

You're wrong, the year is 2011.

Bry

Canada
reply to Kraftyy

When will the price drop to 47.49?

exseven
Premium,VIP
join:2003-05-23
L8E0G6
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Kraftyy

These dates depend on the area AFAIK, as this is a staggered launch

RobA

join:2011-10-06
reply to Marcer

said by Marcer:

in an effort to move specialty channels to a Digital signal. This change impacts all Cogeco TV customers, except those on “Basic Cable”. Customers with specialty channels such as A&E, History, HGTV, and Showcase will require a “box” on every TV to continue to watch these channels

So please clarify - they call it an "adapter" - is it just a digital tuner? If I already have a new TV with a built in digital tuner will I be able to get these now digital specialty channels without an adapter?

Or this "adapter" actually a decryptor/descrambler?

-Rob A>

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:11
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

1 edit

said by RobA:

said by Marcer:

in an effort to move specialty channels to a Digital signal. This change impacts all Cogeco TV customers, except those on “Basic Cable”. Customers with specialty channels such as A&E, History, HGTV, and Showcase will require a “box” on every TV to continue to watch these channels

So please clarify - they call it an "adapter" - is it just a digital tuner? If I already have a new TV with a built in digital tuner will I be able to get these now digital specialty channels without an adapter?

Or this "adapter" actually a decryptor/descrambler?

-Rob A>

The adapter is digital tuner with a built in descrambler for use on Cogecos's TV network.

Clipper

join:2002-05-23
Stoney Creek, ON
reply to Marcer

I'd like to know if there's a channel listing somewhere indicating where all the networks are on the new DTV bands.

I re-auto scanned with one of my TV's that doesn't have a digital box and it found all the channels, but there's no way I can remember that TSN is on 87-56 and Sportsnet is 81-200 for every single channel.

I'd like a channel guide or something.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5

No point getting a guide. Those channels are re-mapped by the digital box to the Cogeco "virtual" channel numbers, and the map can change from time to time. Cogeco might re-shuffle different mixes of streams on to different QAM channels based on conversions from SD to HD, channel lineups, etc.

Cogeco will likely also end up encrypting many if not all of those channels, so you'll need the box any way.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to Clipper

said by Clipper:

I'd like to know if there's a channel listing somewhere indicating where all the networks are on the new DTV bands.

I re-auto scanned with one of my TV's that doesn't have a digital box and it found all the channels, but there's no way I can remember that TSN is on 87-56 and Sportsnet is 81-200 for every single channel.

I'd like a channel guide or something.

C'mon Clipper you remember how it works, unencrypted until they make sure when they encrypt it that it doesn't break anything .

And yeah they'll move the muxes around so having a guide would be pointless unless this would be a "dynamic" guide meaning Sportsnet is on 81-200 but then you have to rescan probably every day to make sure it hasn't moved from 81-200...

And eventually they'll encrypt and be gone .

I'm going to guess there is some sort of GI# or M# or identifying serial number on these tuners so that the channels get authorized on the DAC at Cogeco's end...wow, I remembered DAC I'm impressed with myself...unless its called something else now, or if its even around .

Steveb1986

join:2011-09-01
Hamilton, ON
reply to Bry

FYI - a CSR told me Sept 1st 2010 as well, not 2011.

Bry

Canada

That's very strange.

-Bry.

exseven
Premium,VIP
join:2003-05-23
L8E0G6
kudos:1

Especially since that was a year ago.

Kraftyy

Burlington, ON

It's the date Cogeco stopped offering Analogue Value pack which is why it's in 2010.

Bry

Canada

I see, I wasn't aware they discontinued the Analogue Value pack in 2010.

You're not wrong.

-Bry.
--
Sometimes I'm rude, this is known.

Steveb1986

join:2011-09-01
Hamilton, ON

I wasn't very pleased when I found this out as I thought it would be much sooner than Sept 2010. I started my service mid this year.
Had to get a digital receiver for my 2nd tv.
They did offer me 50% off to 12 months though...but $2/month isn't that much.

First chance I get I'll be dumping my cogeco service

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada

Are you also the same person who goes to the Music Store and makes a fuss because they stopped selling 8-Track Tapes in the 1980's? Yes there is going to be the odd person here and there who are pissed off, you fall into the odd person category weather you like it or not. This person does not understand technology, and is not willing to grasp new technologies and does not want technology to advance. If these people were still in power, we would still be watching black and white TV. thank goodness the other 98% of the population does want the technology to advance.
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

canada

I can't wait for the digital transition to hit the GTA area.

My friend has an analogue tv connected to his cogeco cable, but he has a digital tv in the main room. He always goes to his analog tv and swears when he realizes his specialty channels cant be tuned in unless he buys a box, which he knows he should get, hes just lazy, hes not mad at cogeco, hes actually mad that hes lazy. So he finally went and got a digital STB, now he never leaves the basement.
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5

I'm all for the digital transition - but at least offer the base channels in clear QAM so you don't need a box for each and every TV - even the ones that only get watched occasionally.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

canada

what do u think the DTA adaptors are for, those are for you to receive the channels. Qam is a mess right now, the frequencies will be changed and re-mapped all the time no sense to follow it, its like computer language.
--

Expand your moderator at work

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

canada

Re: Digital Transitions

is that an insult? qam will eventually be scrambled and you WILL need an STB for it just like other cable companies are already doing, so instead of learning to figure it out and insult others, might as well get a DTA and join the club instead of trying to go against everyone
--

Bry

Canada

I'd rather wait it out.

Kraftyy

Burlington, ON
reply to Marcer

Well if you're in the Grimsby/Hamilton Area you have until the 11th of november to make a decision

dusan

@teksavvy.com
reply to Marcer

I find it unfair to have to rent another box for the upstairs new digital tv set.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

canada

i find it unfair to rent or buy a box to watch satellite dish for my new tv, but i do it anyway. connecting the satellite dish wire directly to the tv will NOT work. The tuner box tells the tv what channels you are allowed to watch or not, thats the same idea as the cogeco cable box, without that cogeco does not know what channels to turn on or off to your tv.
--

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

canada

p,s, i can see you are also the same kind of person who pays for a premium station such as the movie network /hbo and complains why they can not tune it on their second tv set with no digital set top box or DTA? the dta box is to help you out too dont always look at it bad, look at the positives too mang
--