Search similar:

uniqs

Gatsby
Premium Member
join:2011-09-27

1 edit

Gatsby

Premium Member

will Apple products suffer from the loss of Steve Jobs?

Face it, like Apple or not, he was the Henry Ford of the computer world.

Henry Ford, with the model T, and later, the model A, brought the automobile to all Americans. Similarly, Jobs brought the handheld phone/music/handheld device into the hands of millions of Americans.

Just wondering about the future of Apple, what Tim Cook will bring, and if we will witness the decline of quality in the products Apple spills out.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member
join:2009-09-11

The Pig

Premium Member

Only time will tell!
And it's way to early to worry about it!
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

drslash (banned) to Gatsby

to Gatsby
Apple will have a lot of momentum for several years. The products will be very good for the foreseeable future. My guess is that things may change in the 5 year time frame. I don't think Steve's personal influence on the products and the business can be overstated. Once the momentum from Steve's legacy fades then we will see if the people continue to pour their heart and soul into their work. Steve demanded a tremendous amount of hard work. Tim or others may not be relentless task masters like Steve was. That will make the organization soft. That is where we will find out about product quality and margin erosion.

My question about Apple is, when will they pay a dividend?
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to Gatsby

Premium Member

to Gatsby
Apple knew marketing with the right people in control, for the most part they took already existing products, and made them seem cool. Getting people to buy them who really didn't need them, and people eventually wanted them. Before that only nerds cared about this stuff for the most part. It all played into a cult, almost religious attitude, which many gained a smug attitude about their products, some rushing out to buy the newest even if it didn't really have an real benefits over the older model that still worked. Some even taking saying anything bad about Apple, unless they said it like a personal attack.

Make the product look cooler, with things they people will think they want, and somebody will buy it. I still use my pre-iphone cellphone as an mp3 player which is awesome on battery life which I still use to this day, and I have an older smartphone I don't use as they don't generally have a good battery life when they are actually used. Standby times look great, until you realize you can drain the device quickly with actual use. Even my old pre-iphone smartphone had games, and useful applications for the years it was supported, it just wasn't great to take with you when you couldn't charge your phone every 1-2 days of light use.

While apple copied Xerox, then everyone else followed suit, they were not the original designers of a gui with a mouse, I'm too lazy to find the link, but there's an old black and white video showing a prototype of what they thought computers would be in the future that had a gui with a mouse.

I don't consider then innovators at all, but they are some great pitchmen.

»theoatmeal.com/comics/apple

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to Gatsby

MVM

to Gatsby
No way to know but they did not do well when he left the first time. They would have died if he had not come back - they have a challenge ahead of them to be sure.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to Gatsby

Premium Member

to Gatsby
Um, all of them.

runnoft
Premium Member
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC

runnoft to Gatsby

Premium Member

to Gatsby
Yes, Apple products will suffer from the loss of Steve Jobs, but only in the 3+ year horizon. Marketing and revenue may show the hit a little sooner due to the loss of his charisma, but I'm sure there's a lot in the pipeline upon which he had a lot of input.

Gatsby
Premium Member

Gatsby

Premium Member

I think the "underwhelming release" of Iphone 4S (is that what it is called?) is a clue. They knew Mr. Jobs was on his last mile, Cook did not want to overshadow this.

Tim Cook is not the iconic figure that Jobs was. New product releases will have little fanfare here on out

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol to Gatsby

Premium Member

to Gatsby
Yes.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to Gatsby

Premium Member

to Gatsby
said by Gatsby:

Just wondering about the future of Apple, what Tim Cook will bring, and if we will witness the decline of quality in the products Apple spills out.

Well due to the manufacture outsourcing, the build quality's been notably coming down from the "good old days" - but this was a phenomenon that was happening prior to Jobs' passing (and not an exclusive problem to Apple either). I'm not sure if this helps in determining the future though.

It's really too soon to tell the direction of build and/or creative quality of Apple products in the future. Give post-Jobs Apple some time to find a direction, then make a judgement for yourself. Personally, I'd like to think that the corporate think tank's been stocked with some Jobs-like minds though.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to Gatsby

Premium Member

to Gatsby
Apple took a hit, back when Jobs left for a short while. No idea about now. Jobs knew he was going to die, so he may have had a chance to groom those he passed the torch to. I'd say give it two, maybe three years, then see what happens.

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
USA

DrModem

Premium Member

I think they will suffer at least somewhat. Especially in the release hype department. If the 4S keynote is what we can expect every time from here on out, Cook definitely doesn't set you on fire to want to buy the product like Jobs did.

How much they suffer in total will take a few years to determine though.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

People spend money not because presentation was exciting (who cares about it), but because the product itself is good. And Apple has good products to offer...
(disclaimer: I don't run Mac, don't have iPhone or work for this company)
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

drslash (banned)

Yes, but most everybody familiar with Apple also trusted Steve to present great products that blow you away and Steve was able to make you think, 'I don't have a good reason to not buy it'. It remains to be seen if Cook can replicate that at all.

Retired6
Premium Member
join:2002-11-09
Earth

Retired6 to The Pig

Premium Member

to The Pig
said by The Pig:

Only time will tell!
And it's way to early to worry about it!

x2.

I'd be a trillionaire, if i could predict the future.

*And welcome to DSL Reports..:+)

Spork35
join:2011-07-13
Methuen, MA

Spork35 to OZO

to OZO
said by OZO:

People spend money not because presentation was exciting (who cares about it), but because the product itself is good. And Apple has good products to offer...

Presentation is as much of it as the product itself. Apple didn't get where it is now based on products alone. Why would anyone advertise if presentation didn't work?

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to OZO

MVM

to OZO
said by OZO:

If this was true then marketing would not be needed but quite frankly - marketing works on a LOT of people and the presentation is part of that.

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26 to Gatsby

Premium Member

to Gatsby
said by Gatsby:

Face it, like Apple or not, he was the Henry Ford of the computer world.

Henry Ford, with the model T, and later, the model A, brought the automobile to all Americans. Similarly, Jobs brought the handheld phone/music/handheld device into the hands of millions of Americans.

i don't mean to hijack the thread however Henry Ford may have intended to bring a car to all Americans........However it did not work out that way. I know people and some very well off to do who live in big metro areas who did well without the need of a car. Henry Ford brought a car to MOST Americans.
join:2000-10-10
Decatur, GA

8744675 to Gatsby

to Gatsby
Ford Motor Company has survived after Henry Ford died, so will Apple.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to runnoft

to runnoft
"Marketing and revenue may show the hit a little sooner due to the loss of his charisma"

Looks like sales may increase a little on the short term. I've seen quite a few stories with morons who are running out to buy Apple products as a tribute to Steve Jobs.

I saw one worshiper at Panera bread last night with a piece of black tape across the Apple logo on his Mac book. Really? The guy was great at what he did but he was not a god nor was he single handedly responsible for the way every one uses a computer or the internet.

Spork35
Methuen, MA

Spork35 to 8744675

to 8744675
said by 8744675:

They also produced something people 'need' where Apple produces some thing people don't 'need'. Hard to compare these realistically.
Spork35

Spork35 to battleop

to battleop
said by battleop:

The guy was great at what he did but he was not a god nor was he single handedly responsible for the way every one uses a computer or the internet.

He wasn't even man enough to talk to his own dad. Granted he was abandoned as a kid but you know your dieing and you can't even reach out to your own dad? I wonder why they aren't running that story. Maybe the 'appearance' would hurt Apple?

»content.usatoday.com/com ··· p=34news

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

I would say his dad had plenty of time to try and make contact but according to the article he didn't. Steve Jobs has made plent of dick moves but I don't think I would hold this one against him.

Spork35
Methuen, MA

Spork35

said by battleop:

I would say his dad had plenty of time to try and make contact but according to the article he didn't. Steve Jobs has made plent of dick moves but I don't think I would hold this one against him.

His dad was wrong as well but like we all know "2 wrongs don't make a right". That's where I fault Steve.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to Spork35

to Spork35
said by Spork35:

He wasn't even man enough to talk to his own dad. Granted he was abandoned as a kid but you know your dieing and you can't even reach out to your own dad? I wonder why they aren't running that story. Maybe the 'appearance' would hurt Apple?

Maybe he had father issues? Who knows, maybe there was bad blood between them or something. Steve was a very private person and we may never know what really happened. I really don't care - many people have reasons for not talking to their parents or siblings.

To the OT: I think Apple will be fine. The foundation that Steve laid will continue. As long as they continue to innovate and produce great things they will be fine. He instilled that "perfection" in Apple and I think they will continue down that path. I've used a lot of tech in my day and by far Apple's stuff is the most well thought out and feature rich out there. It's the little things that sets it ahead of the competition.

Spork35
Methuen, MA

Spork35

said by itguy05:

It's the little things that sets it ahead of the competition.

Like the high price? That definitely sets it light years ahead of the competition.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

Has not hurt their bottom line yet... If they can get people to pay it and if people see some sort of value in the price...

Spork35
Methuen, MA

Spork35

said by CylonRed:

If they can get people to pay it and if people see some sort of value in the price...

Yup like everything in life. Someone will buy anything just look at the "Pet Rock" from decades ago. LOL

Gatsby
Premium Member

Gatsby to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
said by battleop:

I saw one worshiper at Panera bread last night with a piece of black tape across the Apple logo on his Mac book. Really? The guy was great at what he did but he was not a god nor was he single handedly responsible for the way every one uses a computer or the internet.

That is funny! Also a good point, Jobs was not a god but he sure went to apple heaven. He has risen!
Gatsby

Gatsby to Spork35

Premium Member

to Spork35
said by Spork35:

said by 8744675:

They also produced something people 'need' where Apple produces some thing people don't 'need'. Hard to compare these realistically.

We didn't "need" cars at first!