dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to runnoft

to runnoft

Re: will Apple products suffer from the loss of Steve Jobs?

"Marketing and revenue may show the hit a little sooner due to the loss of his charisma"

Looks like sales may increase a little on the short term. I've seen quite a few stories with morons who are running out to buy Apple products as a tribute to Steve Jobs.

I saw one worshiper at Panera bread last night with a piece of black tape across the Apple logo on his Mac book. Really? The guy was great at what he did but he was not a god nor was he single handedly responsible for the way every one uses a computer or the internet.

Spork35
join:2011-07-13
Methuen, MA

Spork35

said by battleop:

The guy was great at what he did but he was not a god nor was he single handedly responsible for the way every one uses a computer or the internet.

He wasn't even man enough to talk to his own dad. Granted he was abandoned as a kid but you know your dieing and you can't even reach out to your own dad? I wonder why they aren't running that story. Maybe the 'appearance' would hurt Apple?

»content.usatoday.com/com ··· p=34news

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

I would say his dad had plenty of time to try and make contact but according to the article he didn't. Steve Jobs has made plent of dick moves but I don't think I would hold this one against him.

Spork35
Methuen, MA

Spork35

said by battleop:

I would say his dad had plenty of time to try and make contact but according to the article he didn't. Steve Jobs has made plent of dick moves but I don't think I would hold this one against him.

His dad was wrong as well but like we all know "2 wrongs don't make a right". That's where I fault Steve.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to Spork35

to Spork35
said by Spork35:

He wasn't even man enough to talk to his own dad. Granted he was abandoned as a kid but you know your dieing and you can't even reach out to your own dad? I wonder why they aren't running that story. Maybe the 'appearance' would hurt Apple?

Maybe he had father issues? Who knows, maybe there was bad blood between them or something. Steve was a very private person and we may never know what really happened. I really don't care - many people have reasons for not talking to their parents or siblings.

To the OT: I think Apple will be fine. The foundation that Steve laid will continue. As long as they continue to innovate and produce great things they will be fine. He instilled that "perfection" in Apple and I think they will continue down that path. I've used a lot of tech in my day and by far Apple's stuff is the most well thought out and feature rich out there. It's the little things that sets it ahead of the competition.

Spork35
Methuen, MA

Spork35

said by itguy05:

It's the little things that sets it ahead of the competition.

Like the high price? That definitely sets it light years ahead of the competition.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

Has not hurt their bottom line yet... If they can get people to pay it and if people see some sort of value in the price...

Spork35
Methuen, MA

Spork35

said by CylonRed:

If they can get people to pay it and if people see some sort of value in the price...

Yup like everything in life. Someone will buy anything just look at the "Pet Rock" from decades ago. LOL

Gatsby
Premium Member
join:2011-09-27

Gatsby to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
said by battleop:

I saw one worshiper at Panera bread last night with a piece of black tape across the Apple logo on his Mac book. Really? The guy was great at what he did but he was not a god nor was he single handedly responsible for the way every one uses a computer or the internet.

That is funny! Also a good point, Jobs was not a god but he sure went to apple heaven. He has risen!
itguy05
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to Spork35

to Spork35
said by Spork35:

said by itguy05:

Like the high price? That definitely sets it light years ahead of the competition.

Funny, my Macbook was about the same as a similarly equipped Dell, or an HP. Price comparisons conveniently forget that all the OEMs sell cheap and expensive computers. Dell tried a Macbook Air competitor, the Adamo. Cost MORE than the Air. The new Ultrabook movement is having trouble beating Apple on price.

My Droid X cost $199, just like my prior iPhone 3G. Apple doesn't play in the bottom of the barrel, that's all.

I use Windows 7 and OS X Lion and let me tell you the little things in OS X are what sets it apart from 7. It's those things that make me more productive and have a much better experience. And yes, its 7 Home Premium on a recent hardware. But that's not the subject of this thread.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

1 recommendation

Happydude32

Premium Member

said by itguy05:

said by Spork35:

said by itguy05:

Funny, my Macbook was about the same as a similarly equipped Dell, or an HP. Price comparisons conveniently forget that all the OEMs sell cheap and expensive computers. Dell tried a Macbook Air competitor, the Adamo. Cost MORE than the Air. The new Ultrabook movement is having trouble beating Apple on price.

My Droid X cost $199, just like my prior iPhone 3G. Apple doesn't play in the bottom of the barrel, that's all.

I use Windows 7 and OS X Lion and let me tell you the little things in OS X are what sets it apart from 7. It's those things that make me more productive and have a much better experience. And yes, its 7 Home Premium on a recent hardware. But that's not the subject of this thread.

With tax, my recent laptop purchase topped $3,000. It helped finding a discount code to bring it down to a little over $2,100. HP Envy 17 3D laptop. 17.3” 1080P 3D LED display, slot loaded Blu Ray drive, 16 GB RAM, Second Gen Quad Core Intel Core i7 at 2.30 GHz. Well worth the cost. Very nice high end laptop, and most importantly IT’S NOT A MAC! I do my best to only buy higher end electronics, and Apple is not higher end. They have boutique electronics is pretty packaging that are not worth the cost. An iPhone and a Droid X may be both $200, but you get so much more with the Droid X. The iSheep are too blind to see that though. Apple products are typically inferior to the competition, but they have good marking and brainwashing techniques.

Now that Lord Jobs is six feet under, where he belongs, maybe the company will become more normal, instead of being held back by some egotistical prick and his obsessive feeling of needing to control all aspects of life.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

quote:
Now that Lord Jobs is six feet under, where he belongs, maybe the company will become more normal, instead of being held back by some egotistical prick and his obsessive feeling of needing to control all aspects of life.
And I thought I had anger issues... Same can be said about any company CEO that has a vision. He brought things to market that the market decided was good.

The fact you did not agree with the general market is - irrelevant and you can be secure that he did not control any of your life. Not that he controlled anyone's lives per se...

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to Spork35

Premium Member

to Spork35
Easy to fault someone that isn't around...

Face it, the issue with his Dad might have actually been the drive to prove he was better at what he did, how he achieved it. He left a legacy (and it's not our business whether he wiped with his left or right hand).

His ambition and vision gave me (amongst others) purpose, in which I have helped many through supporting his ideas and products. From designers, to TV celebrities, to successful small business owners to AARP folks... he sold cool, smart and status, and it still is.

I can argue that Apple has always been form over function. Gotta appeal (pun) to the masses that WANT it...but the hardware is like a watch to fix...

Spork35
Methuen, MA

Spork35 to CylonRed

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

Not that he controlled anyone's lives per se...

That sounds like a wife to me. LOL They don't control your life per say but it's in your best interest to listen to them and do most of what they want. Indirect or direct it's still a power a person can usurp on others. It's hard to deny that Apple fans seem to be a lot more devoted then most.
itguy05
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to Happydude32

to Happydude32
said by Happydude32:

I do my best to only buy higher end electronics, and Apple is not higher end. They have boutique electronics is pretty packaging that are not worth the cost.

Ok, Dude. Whatever, my expereinces have been that my Mac gear has lasted longer and been better quality than any PC I got through work (IBM, HP, and Dell) or any of my homebuilt machines.
quote:
An iPhone and a Droid X may be both $200, but you get so much more with the Droid X. The iSheep are too blind to see that though. Apple products are typically inferior to the competition, but they have good marking and brainwashing techniques.
Hardly. My next phone will be an iPhone 5. Why:

* Droid X, 1.25 years old, Vibrator stopped working
* Droid X, 1.25 years old, randomly reboots when playing MP3's
* Droid X, 1.25 years old with the latest OS updates stopped automatically connecting to my BT headphones
* Droid X, 1.25 years old is a bit laggy.
* Droid X keyboard is junk.
* iPhone 3G, 3.25 years old (I got it on release day in 2008) that I sold to a co-worker is still running fine.

Not really feeling Android - it's a decent OS but many of the features I wanted are in iOS 5 and the hardware is that much better. Android still feels a little disjointed and unorganized for me. Maybe ICS will fix that but as of now once there is a 4G iPhone I'm done.

For the rest of your rant, I can't say what I think here other than that you're a donkey....
Expand your moderator at work
itguy05

itguy05 to Anon

to Anon

edited.
Expand your moderator at work

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to Spork35

MVM

to Spork35

said by Spork35:

said by CylonRed:

Not that he controlled anyone's lives per se...

That sounds like a wife to me. LOL They don't control your life per say but it's in your best interest to listen to them and do most of what they want. Indirect or direct it's still a power a person can usurp on others. It's hard to deny that Apple fans seem to be a lot more devoted then most.

That sounds like any company\good CEO - just like GM when they started up the marketing for the SUV... Or marketing for Droid phones, Windows CE (or any other Windows OS), tablets... The list goes on because that is marketing and every company that wants to be successful will do it. Some have more charismatic CEOs but that is about it.

I don't think Apple fans are any more devoted than Linux fans, any car maker fan, PC hardware fan etc.... List goes on and on and on. They all have rabid fans - heck just between Oracle and SQL are as rabid and any fan of anything in particular out there.

Wolfie007
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

1 edit

Wolfie007

Premium Member

said by CylonRed:

I don't think Apple fans are any more devoted than Linux fans, any car maker fan, PC hardware fan etc.... List goes on and on and on. They all have rabid fans - heck just between Oracle and SQL are as rabid and any fan of anything in particular out there.

Do you think these folks who have been lined up all night to buy something they don't even need are Linux fans? Ford, Chevy, or Porsche fans? Oracle fans?

(Hint: You can't see it in the picture, but there is an Apple store there somewhere! Probably around the block and a mile further up! )

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Some people fly around the country/world for store openings like it's a religious experience, after they buy all their products... It has been compared to a religion instead of just being a business who sells products, and rightfully so. I'm sure if they started a religion enough people would support it sadly.

Spork35
Methuen, MA

Spork35 to CylonRed

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

In volume none compare to Apple fans. Look at the last few releases of any of those companies and compare them to Apple. The pictures will show you who lines up at thousands of stores for a release. Hint: It ain't PC hardware, cars, Linux, SQL, or Oracle.

I'd venture to guess if you added all the hardcore fans of all those together they wouldn't beat the number of Apple fans.