how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

got_milk

join:2007-08-22
Georgetown, ON

Email on Mobile Devices

Does Cogeco allow access to e-mail services on mobile devices (specifically the BlackBerry)?

cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently

join:2011-04-19
Hamilton, ON
My gmail works fine on my android.

Unless you're referring to Cogeco's mail server on your device... which should also work, because PC-based POP/SMTP clients work just fine too...

Marcer
Premium,VIP
join:2007-07-08
Hamilton, ON
kudos:13
As pointed out POP3 access would work fine, but SMTP would be provided by your carrier (as our SMTP server will not allow out of network connections)

cog_biz_user

Hamilton, ON
said by Marcer:

As pointed out POP3 access would work fine, but SMTP would be provided by your carrier (as our SMTP server will not allow out of network connections)

yes, i should have mentioned that. whoops.

but to poke fun, it doesn't send my outgoing mail half the time, either. A guy named Michael swore up and down that it was my fault, but I hadn't changed my configuration in years. I had to turn my whole network upside down before I found a configuration that works.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to Marcer
said by Marcer:

I still wonder why you guys haven't moved to an authenticated model like practically everyone else.

got_milk

join:2007-08-22
Georgetown, ON
said by Marcer:

Thanks Marcer.

said by Gone:

I still wonder why you guys haven't moved to an authenticated model like practically everyone else.

$$$

cog_biz_user

Hamilton, ON

3 edits
said by got_milk:

said by Gone:

$$$

i doubt it. their email server(s) are already running on linux or BSD.

i imagine the real reason is that it's a pain in the ass to configure on the user end. sure, its only two more fields in any mail client, but it's easier to set a CIDR block ACL on the SMTP server, than get every user to re-configure their mail clients.
--
Myth: It's only fair to pay for quality first-run movies.
Fact: Most movies shown on cable get two stars or less
and are repeated ad nauseum.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by cog_biz_user:

i imagine the real reason is that it's a pain in the ass to configure on the user end. sure, its only two more fields in any mail client, but it's easier to set a CIDR block ACL on the SMTP server, than get every user to re-configure their mail clients.

No reason you can't grandfather existing users but have all new users on the new platform, and then transition the grandfathered users over time.

Sure, it may be easier to do it the way they're doing it, but things have evolved to the point where unauthenticated local network-only SMTP just doesn't cut it any more.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
said by Gone:

said by cog_biz_user:

No reason you can't grandfather existing users but have all new users on the new platform, and then transition the grandfathered users over time.

Sure, it may be easier to do it the way they're doing it, but things have evolved to the point where unauthenticated local network-only SMTP just doesn't cut it any more.

...If it ain't broke don't fix it? ...That'd be the $$$ part of the equation...

In reality its probably just a matter of not breaking what is there...if that means a little inconvenience for people, then so be it.

Bry

join:2008-12-31
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to got_milk
You could install an SSH client that supports TCP port forwarding, or use a VPN.

Once you're on your home network, you can connect to port 25/110 on Cogeco's mail servers without issue.

-Bry.
--
Sometimes I'm rude, this is known.

jpaik

join:2002-01-09
Hamilton, ON
reply to got_milk
This issue has been discussed a few times on this forum. Perhaps one reason for a lack of initiative on this is that Cogeco does not play in the handheld devices/cellular/"data network" sandbox. Unlike Bell and Rogers, it's not a carrier. Cogeco sees no compelling reason to be proactive?

I also use Gmail on my android and the problem was solved long ago.
--
minimum waste, maximum joy

cog_biz_user

Hamilton, ON
reply to got_milk
doesn't cogeco still offer webmail service? i'm not sure how it would look on a blackberry, but i surf quite a bit on my atrix, and have no problems.

jpaik

join:2002-01-09
Hamilton, ON
said by cog_biz_user:

doesn't cogeco still offer webmail service? i'm not sure how it would look on a blackberry, but i surf quite a bit on my atrix, and have no problems.

Yes, webmail is still offered. I don't use it on my samsung galaxy as I like more screen real estate.
--
minimum waste, maximum joy

chdude3

join:2003-07-29
Oakville, ON
reply to jpaik
said by jpaik:

This issue has been discussed a few times on this forum. Perhaps one reason for a lack of initiative on this is that Cogeco does not play in the handheld devices/cellular/"data network" sandbox. Unlike Bell and Rogers, it's not a carrier. Cogeco sees no compelling reason to be proactive?

I also use Gmail on my android and the problem was solved long ago.

I ran into the problem years ago when we took our laptop to our in-laws place, and I was unable to send email as we weren't on the Cogeco network anymore. I used the webmail solution until I got fed up enough with it and just transitioned to Gmail.