Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Clipper

join:2002-05-23
Stoney Creek, ON
reply to Marcer

Re: Digital Transitions

I'd like to know if there's a channel listing somewhere indicating where all the networks are on the new DTV bands.

I re-auto scanned with one of my TV's that doesn't have a digital box and it found all the channels, but there's no way I can remember that TSN is on 87-56 and Sportsnet is 81-200 for every single channel.

I'd like a channel guide or something.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:6
No point getting a guide. Those channels are re-mapped by the digital box to the Cogeco "virtual" channel numbers, and the map can change from time to time. Cogeco might re-shuffle different mixes of streams on to different QAM channels based on conversions from SD to HD, channel lineups, etc.

Cogeco will likely also end up encrypting many if not all of those channels, so you'll need the box any way.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to Clipper
said by Clipper:

I'd like to know if there's a channel listing somewhere indicating where all the networks are on the new DTV bands.

I re-auto scanned with one of my TV's that doesn't have a digital box and it found all the channels, but there's no way I can remember that TSN is on 87-56 and Sportsnet is 81-200 for every single channel.

I'd like a channel guide or something.

C'mon Clipper you remember how it works, unencrypted until they make sure when they encrypt it that it doesn't break anything .

And yeah they'll move the muxes around so having a guide would be pointless unless this would be a "dynamic" guide meaning Sportsnet is on 81-200 but then you have to rescan probably every day to make sure it hasn't moved from 81-200...

And eventually they'll encrypt and be gone .

I'm going to guess there is some sort of GI# or M# or identifying serial number on these tuners so that the channels get authorized on the DAC at Cogeco's end...wow, I remembered DAC I'm impressed with myself...unless its called something else now, or if its even around .