spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

meiryo

join:2010-10-14

1 edit

Anything I can do with the glitchy 2wire 2701HG-B (AT&T)?

The router is frustrating, when you give it more than 30 connections it drops connection and you have to wait 2 minutes, and when more than one PC is connected by wi-fi it starts to lag and I see the yellow triangle icon "no connection" in Windows 7 more than one time a day. Is this the worst router ever and nothing I can do about it? (I brought one to AT&T, they gave me another one, but they're all the same anyway)

Not to mention that I had to set AT&T DNS servers in the system connection settings directly to make it stop displaying "page not found", cause there's something wrong with built-in system and it doesn't always work properly. This is complete bull in a customer-ready router.

Admin interface shows that no updates are available, isn't there a hidden downloadable firmware update or some custom-modified Linux one like for D-link?

jd

@sbcglobal.net

Having same problem. Just started couple of days ago

meiryo

reply to meiryo

Yeah, for now, only re-plugging it from the power outlet from time to time seem to help.

dusti jones

@qwest.net
reply to meiryo

said by meiryo:

The router is frustrating, when you give it more than 30 connections it drops connection and you have to wait 2 minutes, and when more than one PC is connected by wi-fi it starts to lag and I see the yellow triangle icon "no connection" in Windows 7 more than one time a day. Is this the worst router ever and nothing I can do about it? (I brought one to AT&T, they gave me another one, but they're all the same anyway)

Not to mention that I had to set AT&T DNS servers in the system connection settings directly to make it stop displaying "page not found", cause there's something wrong with built-in system and it doesn't always work properly. This is complete bull in a customer-ready router.

Admin interface shows that no updates are available, isn't there a hidden downloadable firmware update or some custom-modified Linux one like for D-link?

K

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

Many AT&T customers are profoundly unhappy with this model.

I've got one sitting in the closet...not good for much else than a paper-weight.

Save yourself the aggravation and get a different modem/router, there are plenty to pick from. I am using a NetGear DGN2200 modem/router, and it has been absolutely trouble-free.
--
Deeds, not words

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2

The Motorola/Netopia 3347-02-1022 business-grade modem (sold by AT&T for the same price as the 2701HG-B) is an excellent choice, since it is far more solid and reliable than the 2Wire. It is supported by AT&T (even on a residential line), whereas models such as the Netgear DGN2200 are not.

SteelersFan

join:2001-02-12
Rockwall, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to meiryo

I just purchased the Netgear DGN2200 from BB for $99. With a manual set-up, it easily replaced the existing 2701 and AT&T helped me install it (albeit it wasn't that difficult). So far I get less "page not found" errors, and my speed tests are way more consistent whereas before they would spike back and forth. Also, my LAN seems incredibly responsive all of a sudden. Happy with the investment.

meiryo

reply to meiryo

Man, another $100 for the modem? Does anyone know if I could bring 2wire back to AT&T shop and exchange it for a Motorola?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
reply to meiryo

said by meiryo:

when you give it more than 30 connections it drops connection and you have to wait 2 minutes, and when more than one PC is connected by wi-fi it starts to lag and I see the yellow triangle icon "no connection" in Windows 7 more than one time a day

att has a one year equipment warranty
You can put the 2wire in bridge mode and use a router to do the routing.......you should be sure the router you choose can handle the "number of connections" made by your devices

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to meiryo

said by meiryo:

Man, another $100 for the modem? Does anyone know if I could bring 2wire back to AT&T shop and exchange it for a Motorola?

I don't know, but it well may be worth a try. Sometimes, if you approach it with the right touch, you may get it. I would be "frustrated, but reasonable" in my approach...
--
Deeds, not words

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to daveinpoway

said by daveinpoway:

The Motorola/Netopia 3347-02-1022 business-grade modem (sold by AT&T for the same price as the 2701HG-B) is an excellent choice, since it is far more solid and reliable than the 2Wire. It is supported by AT&T (even on a residential line), whereas models such as the Netgear DGN2200 are not.

Agreed! I only mention the DGN2200 because it is what I went to, and what I "know". Obviously there is an advantage in that the Motorola 3347-02-1022 is an "ATT supported" solution. Having said that, as one who uses a NAS, and Roku, the 11N radio of the NetGear model made it a better over-all solution for what I do. The 11B 3347 is absolutely fine for the dsl connection, but I prefer the 11N connectivity for my NAS throughput within the network.
--
Deeds, not words