spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Right Lane

join:2011-10-08

[DTA] DTA Unplugged Then No TV Signal

Earlier this week the DTA that controls the TV set in our kitchen was unplugged to allow the floor to be vacuumed. When plugged back in, we had no TV signal to the kitchen set and had also lost the signal to the larger set in the living room. All we get is a regular green flashing light and two calls to Comcast support have been ineffective - I'd like to fix this myself. BTW, our broadband signal is fine.

The default message is: "We've detected an interruption in your service"

When I pull the DTA's power I get: "We're searching for cable services in your area"

Comcast has issued two reset signals but they did nothing. The signal was fine before the power cord was pulled on the DTA and that caused the downstream outage of the large TV too. This isn't making any sense to me and I'm hoping that the knowledge base here will help me solve this. Goodbye and thanks!

mark5019
Premium
join:2002-03-30
Atlanta, GA
i would get a service call

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to Right Lane
I don't see how unplugging the DTA could affect both TV's. Are you sure some other connection didn't get disconnected by mistake while vacuuming? Maybe an in-line amp was unplugged?

Right Lane

Absolutely not. This just doesn't make sense to me. No changes or adjustments, just unplugging the power cord on the DTA and nothing but the messages that I quoted earlier after replugging it. We never had boxes until Comcast jammed them down our throat (we've never had anything more than expanded basic service) and now we have troubles like this just to ensure that it is a bit tougher to steal a Comcast signal!!! Any and all advice appreciated!

ricon

@comcast.net
How many tv do you have.
Do you have signal booster(amp)?

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1
reply to Right Lane
said by Right Lane:

Absolutely not. This just doesn't make sense to me. No changes or adjustments, just unplugging the power cord on the DTA and nothing but the messages that I quoted earlier after replugging it. We never had boxes until Comcast jammed them down our throat (we've never had anything more than expanded basic service) and now we have troubles like this just to ensure that it is a bit tougher to steal a Comcast signal!!! Any and all advice appreciated!

Comcast removed a group of analog signals, either extended basic or all analog signals, to get bandwidth for more channels. The DTA converts the digital channels to analog and has nothing to do with stealing a Comcast signal.

For both TVs to be affected, it sounds like something happens before the signal gets to the DTA box. You can try to figure out where the signal is lost or have a Comcast tech do it.

Right Lane

reply to ricon
I do have a signal booster and two TVs. My TV signal would badly pixelate (?) and I purchased a bi-directional Motorola that was highly rated wherever I looked. No pixelating or any other problems since it was installed a year and a half ago.

I need to restate this, absolutely nothing else was touched. TV works fine - Unplug DTA for a 5-minute vacuuming of the kitchen floor - DTA plugged back in - No picture on either set. I realize that this makes no sense but Comcost technical support hasn't a clue and if this gets fixed (if I don't bring in FIOS), it'll have to be me. Needless to say, I'm hoping that a forum member has the answer. Thanks. RL

RalphKramden

join:2007-01-10
Newtown, PA
said by Right Lane:

I realize that this makes no sense but Comcost technical support hasn't a clue and if this gets fixed (if I don't bring in FIOS), it'll have to be me. Needless to say, I'm hoping that a forum member has the answer. Thanks. RL

Why not have Comcast come out and fix it? Seems like the simplest solution...
Expand your moderator at work

Right Lane

reply to Right Lane

Re: [DTA] DTA Unplugged Then No TV Signal

Service restored. I took the DTA to the local Comcast facility and traded it. They recorded the serial number before I left and told me that I'd have to call Comcast to have it activated once it had been installed. When I got home I notice that I had a solid red light on the box for the big set. My wife tried that set and it worked. As soon as I installed the DTA, the small set worked too. Obviously, something took place while we were out of the house and the only thing that that could've been was the registration and activation of the new DTA. I won't waste anymore time speaking with Comcast because they'll never explain to me what the real issue was. The bottom line is that our signal has been restored and we can watch the Pats vs. the Jets this afternoon. Thanks to everyone who thought my problem over.