uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
reply to The Dv8or

Re: Nationwide EAS Test 11/9 2:00 PM EST

its the internet equivalent of those nutcases we see screaming about conspiracies on the street corners in foil hats.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to Mike Wolf
hmm alright well this is wierd, gotten like five weekly tests so far this morning in Toms River. At least now I know all my equipment works lol.

heat84
Bit Torrent Apologist

join:2004-03-11
Fort Lauderdale, FL
said by Mike Wolf:

hmm alright well this is wierd, gotten like five weekly tests so far this morning in Toms River. At least now I know all my equipment works lol.

Same here. Every 5 minutes for the last hour. WTF? I was about to make my own thread.
--
Bit Torrent is my DVR.

heat84
Bit Torrent Apologist

Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

listen silver alerts are used to locate missing elderly people, but a silver alert is not part of the emergency alert system protocols currently in place. there has never been a national amber alert because its just too messy. I mean maybe a regional alert with bordering states would occur if local fails but who knows but the cops.

Anyway I look forward to the EAS national test and actually have been working hard making sure everything is going to work when it occurs. Hopefully all will be good and it lasts for like an hour each month.

Never heard of a Silver alert, but there'd be one here everyday if it was an official alert.

And I was gonna make joke and say that it was for when a rich kid went missing.
--
Bit Torrent is my DVR.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to heat84
Yeah I'm clueless as to the issue but whats nice is that basically all I get is a red banner with white text flashing across the top of my screen, the alert tones, but no voice on my SA8300 and Cisco RNG200N, a force tune to QVC with that blue screen with red border and white text on my DTA with the warning tone and no voice, and a red banner with white text scrolling across the top of my screen with no warning tone and voice on my Moxi because its optional.

What are you seeing?

heat84
Bit Torrent Apologist

Fort Lauderdale, FL
It was black and white for me(black background, white text). There was EAS related text on the screen(I can't remember what it said), And a message about somebody requesting a test scrolled across the top of the screen. There were alert tones too.

It was force tuned to channel 4. QVC is channel 4 for you? Its CBS for me.

The interval between tests was actually decreasing before I fell asleep.
--
Bit Torrent is my DVR.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

1 edit
QVC is channel 3 for me. CBS is channel 2 for me. The alerts continued up until 4:50am for me, and I noticed my Moxi and the DTA would recieve and display the alert first, then approximately 3 minutes later my cableboxes alerted, so I was able to prepare myself for photos and video. This is essentially what happened

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfcBC1p0pZk

only the message script for all devices was "THE BROADCAST STATION OR CABLE SYSTEM HAS ISSUED A REQUIRED WEEKLY TEST FOR THE FOLLOWING COUNTIES/AREAS: Monmouth; Ocean, NJ; New Jersey; AT (a time) ON OCT 26, 2011 EFFECTIVE UNTIL (a time) MESSAGE FROM NJ34025

Whats odd is the use of the word "the" instead of "a" in the beginning of the message, it doesnt sound right, does it?

Still don't know what NJ34025 means lol

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
said by Mike Wolf:

I googled NJ34025, it seems to be an locality identifier (at least for the US Census folks) for Monmouth County, NJ based on the search results that came back....

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
yeah i did the same thing, but it doesnt make any sense why it would be from that rather then from an actual organization or person.

where you seeing anything during the test frenzy?

Newsjunkie21
CM Punk-WWE Superstar of 2011

join:2011-04-19
Brick, NJ
reply to Mike Wolf
I gotta admit that tone kinda scares me.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
lol well its SUPPOSE to It gotta get your attention somehow and fear is good I think? So you excited about the national test?

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL
reply to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

That would be the FIPS code for Monmouth Co New Jersey..
EAS alerts are based on FIPS codes to determine the location.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
why wouldnt we just use 34029 for ocean county?

SmokChsr
Premium
Saint Augustine, FL
I'm not sure how NJ is set up. That said, where ever the decoding box is that generated the alert, if it was set up to decode 34025 as a valid in area code, then it would relay that alert over its entire coverage area.

I work in radio broadcast in Florida, so to give an example I have the (EAS) boxes I program set up to respond to any alert that occurs in the coverage area of that radio station. So it may seem a bit odd to a listener in the South end of the coverage area that he just heard an alert for the far North end of the stations coverage, perhaps 100 miles away.

In the world of cable, it's always a guess as to what the boxes are set to decode and from where. I know with the local cable co, they decode at a distant headend who knows where and send the alert in with all the other programing. I've seen some alerts come in that were for 2 states away.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
I've seen weirder where a customer from a small mom and pop cable provider was receiving tests from South Carolina.
Anyway the FCC and FEMA and other various agencies will be tidying up the entire system piece by piece, section by section until its a model of efficient perfection. IPAWS is gonna make it alot better. »www.fema.gov/emergency/ipaws/

SmokChsr
Premium
Saint Augustine, FL
Yes When IPAWS comes online it should get a bit better. I've been requested to give a talk Saturday on EAS at a broadcasting conference. One of my requested topics of course was on what the new rules will be, and that is currently any ones guess. I guess I get to make some guesses this weekend.

Now for those who deliver you your EAS messages, the FCC just told us this week, that we HAVE to print out a new 24 page EAS handbook and place it at each EAS box for the test Nov 9.

Bear in mind, they didn't say we needed to read it, just that we must place it at the box before the test, and that we can remove it as soon as the test is complete. Also, the Alert code used for this test is an EAN. That particular code is the nationwide "Oh poop!" code. When it is received no one has to do anything. The box should immediately switch to the alert and retransmit it. "yes we can tell the other alerts to wait a bit or even go away if we want to".

So now we have to have a 24 page book at every EAS box to tell us we don't need to do anything.

So for those of you who are annoyed by the alerts, don't feel alone sometimes those of us who are sending them might even be a bit more annoyed.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
If you have any questions you would like to know, please feel free to ask me in a private message and I'll try to answer them.
It couldn't hurt to read that book as it may be found enlightening.
»www.fema.gov/emergency/ipaws/eas_info.shtm
»www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/emergen···ide-test
»apps.fcc.gov/easnt/home1.cfm
Some equipment are automated and will pass along the alert in unmanned locations, where as others are manual and require intervention. Overall like I said before the IPAWS is going to make it alot more accurate so "false alerts" will be minimized. I'm mostly annoyed when people ask stupid questions, like this one thread »EAS warnings removal on comcast Motorola (HD TV boxes)
My head almost exploded.

Newsjunkie21
CM Punk-WWE Superstar of 2011

join:2011-04-19
Brick, NJ
I was watching Piers Morgan Tonight last night and saw a 30 second ad for the National Emergency Alert System test. I'm sure that it'll be running on a majority of ad-supported networks between now and 11/9.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
yes quite alot in fact, I just got off the phone with Tom Beers about that last week. big goal is to get the word out so theres no mass panic. the ads should be rolling out on most if not all channels at this point.

SmokChsr
Premium
Saint Augustine, FL
said by Mike Wolf:

big goal is to get the word out so theres no mass panic. the ads should be rolling out on most if not all channels at this point.

It's good to get the word out.. Although I think the chance of another "War of the Worlds" is quite remote.

I don't know if this is good or bad but, anymore it's hard to get the public's attention much less cause a panic. As a fire fighter we had a fire in a hotel, as we are dragging hoses through the lobby, for those in the lobby , their main concern was that the hose didn't leak and water down their drinks.

Now had this test come between 12:30 and 1:30 EST, it might have caused a revolution, interrupting 'The Young and the Restless" can cause major troubles.
Expand your moderator at work

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

Re: Nationwide EAS Test 11/9 2:00 PM EST

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
*sighs* apparently some "genius" in government decided to change the time from 3 minutes to 30 seconds.

moes

join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT
I noticed this too, RATHER have the long test instead of 30 seconds, figures...

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
reply to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

*sighs* apparently some "genius" in government decided to change the time from 3 minutes to 30 seconds.

... and only a few days before the test. Nice.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to moes
same here, I was looking forward to it. one of the points of the test being 3 minutes was to test out equipment to make sure it doesnt lock up or fail at the 2 minute mark.

SmokChsr
Premium
Saint Augustine, FL
reply to owlyn
This was apparently decided on by FEMA. I'm not sure a 30 Sec test is going to work. The anticipated "join up time" was 2 minutes. I guess if all the boxes everywhere playback from their on board storage it'll work. We'll see..

PS if you would like to see what the FCC is telling broadcasters, here is a meeting from Wed where a FCC representative was talking to the NE Florida broadcasters.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=eieCbA-Gbkw

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
and here is what they are telling everyone else. »www.fema.gov/eastest/

incompetency in my opinion to pull this stuff this close.

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1
Comcast seems really concerned that the test may cause problems with the STB. Note: The message most have been written before the length was changed to 30 seconds.

quote:
Dear Comcast Customer:

On Wednesday, November 9 at 2 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time), FEMA and the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) will conduct the nation's first ever Emergency Alert System (EAS) test. The purpose of this test is to help determine if the national-level system will work as designed, should officials ever need to send a national alert.

This test will last approximately three minutes and will be seen on all local, cable, and satellite TV stations across the country, as well as radio.

Here's What You Should Know

Your Comcast programming will be temporarily interrupted. However, as soon as the test ends, you will be returned to your regularly scheduled programming. While we do not anticipate an interruption in your service, in some rare cases, you may need to:

• Use your remote to channel up and then channel down or power down your box to fully restore programming after the test completes.

• Any DVR recordings that are in progress during this test will be interrupted, and in some cases, lost.

If you experience the Emergency Alert System message for more than five minutes, please do the following:

• Power-cycle your cable box by unplugging the power cord from the outlet

• Wait thirty seconds and then plug it back in

The guide data and Video On Demand content will take a period of time to fully restore. Please wait 20 minutes before choosing Video On Demand as this might result in other errors with your box. To watch a video and learn more on how to Power-cycle,
»info.xfinity.com/Portal/view.asp···09&w=479

To learn more about the national EAS test, visit us at: »www.comcast.com/nationaleastest/ or visit FEMA at »www.fema.gov/emergency/ipaws/eas_info.shtm or the FCC at »www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/emergen···ide-test

We thank you for being a loyal Comcast customer.

Comcast Customer Service

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
err um... um I don't know what to say about this. I'm still pissed about the shortened test. I spent a year getting things prepared in various parts of the country specifically because it was going to be 3 minutes long. In regards to using the remote to channel up and then down or power down the box via the power button wont work because the STB equipment is specifically meant to lock so the alert can't be interrupted accidentally. And in my experience sometimes pulling the power on the STB and plugging it back in while an alert is still active will cause the STB to relock after it fully reboots. This locking issue occurs for force tune events, ie when the box displays EAS on the front LED and is forced to tune to a reserved channel which is most commonly QVC, and either a black screen with white text or dark blue screen with white text and red border is displayed stating the emergency alert details, along with audible alert. In my experience if just the ticker is displayed the box isn't locked and you can go about as normal just with a red flashing banner on the top of the screen and audible alert.