Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to owlyn

Re: Nationwide EAS Test 11/9 2:00 PM EST

I've heard plenty of ads on local radio with the fcc chairman telling people that a nationwide test of eas was occurring on november 9th and that it will ONLY be a test not an actual alert.

moes

join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT
reply to Mike Wolf

Gratefully accepted mike

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to mikedz4

i think the issue is more in regards to television because people with disabilities such as the deaf or people with equipment that cannot transmit the audio portion of the alert such as TiVo and Moxi (when banner text alert is used) (the audio portion saying "this is only a test" ) may panic since visually it will look like a real alert due to the nature of the test using live code i.e. the actual code used during a real emergency. Here's something I dug up from Comcast »www.comcast.com/MediaLibrary/1/2···ints.pdf

heat84
Bit Torrent Apologist

join:2004-03-11
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to heat84

said by heat84:

said by Mike Wolf:

hmm alright well this is wierd, gotten like five weekly tests so far this morning in Toms River. At least now I know all my equipment works lol.

Same here. Every 5 minutes for the last hour. WTF? I was about to make my own thread.

Its happening again.
--
Bit Torrent is my DVR.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

testing probably for the national test tomorrow.

moes

Cedar City, UT

Mike I am hearing from my source they cut down the testing to 30 seconds because of the broadcasts bitching rofl!

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

1 edit

Actually it was because of other issues from radicals who think there's some conspiracy. »www.theglobalconspiracy.org/2011···ill.html and unofficially because certain agency officials believed people wouldn't be intelligent enough to know it was a test. Shortening the EAS test was ordered by Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano. I read it in one of the internal newsletters. I'm still ticked off about the shortening of the test, when one of the reasons why it was 3 minutes long in the first place was to test the hardware to see if it would continue working past the 2 minute mark that weekly and monthly tests are limited to, since national action notification messages have no time limits. I guess we’ll never know now.

wdsnls

join:2003-06-19
Palm City, FL
reply to owlyn

I don't know if this is the way the EAS test was supposed to work but on my system at 2:04PM EST, the display on my cable box went to EAS. The video went to a Tylenol commercial and there was no audio. It lasted about ten seconds and then returned to regular programming.

hpc99

@comcast.net

Exactly the same thing happened here in Jupiter, FL (maybe we are on the same system). approx 2:05pm - was watching a recorded show on the DVR, channel/time display changed to "EAS", Tylenol commercial appeared for a few seconds, then (instead of returning to the recorded DVR show) the box tuned to the last channel on which I was watching live TV earlier in the day.

moes

Cedar City, UT
Reviews:
·Revol Wireless
·Optimum Online

none of the boxes here went to EAS at all, All I received was the local broadcasts and the other box sitting beside it (yeah I dragged a tv downstairs) stayed on discovery and never changed and never went to EAS. This is the Indianapolis MSO that I refer to not changing

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:6

While I was not near any TV or radios at 2PM ET, I see that there are some early media reports saying there were many problems with the test:

Gizmondo: So That Emergency Alert System Test Was Pretty Much a Failure
»gizmodo.com/5857970/so-that-emer···-failure

NYT: It Was Only a Test, but What a Test
»mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2···-a-test/

"Many of the reported failures affected cable and satellite television subscribers, and some were quite head-scratching: Some DirecTV subscribers said their TV sets played the Lady Gaga song “Paparazzi” when the test was underway. Some Time Warner Cable subscribers in New York said the test never appeared on screen. Some Comcast subscribers in northern Virginia said their TV sets were switched over to QVC before the alert was shown.

In some cases the test messages were delayed, perhaps because the messages are designed to trickle down from one place to many. A viewer in Minneapolis said he saw the message about three minutes late. A viewer in Chattanooga, Tenn., said she saw it about 10 minutes late."

GTFan

join:2004-12-03

As predicted, epic fail and waster of time and money.

Is anyone surprised? Probably not, so let's spend even more time and money to get it to work, then never use it!

I'd be LOL'ing if it wasn't so sad.

jackro

@comcast.net
reply to miscDude

Sorry, this fails logic 101. When a tornado is coming, both systems fire off, even if their is a person on air showing exactly where it is and where it is going.
The difference is between a power grab and a non-power grab. Bush has set up a lot of stuff and Obama has pushed the envelope further. If they wanted to test it, then why not do the first test at 2AM and not 2PM?

mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

said by jackro :

Sorry, this fails logic 101. When a tornado is coming, both systems fire off, even if their is a person on air showing exactly where it is and where it is going.
The difference is between a power grab and a non-power grab. Bush has set up a lot of stuff and Obama has pushed the envelope further. If they wanted to test it, then why not do the first test at 2AM and not 2PM?

The main reason why it wasn't conducted at 2am is because most radio and some tv stations are fully automated during that time with no people being around at all. A station would have to spend money to have a person for this test, and that sure as hell won't happen with the cheapskate media conglomerates.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

While I was not near any TV or radios at 2PM ET, I see that there are some early media reports saying there were many problems with the test:

Gizmondo: So That Emergency Alert System Test Was Pretty Much a Failure
»gizmodo.com/5857970/so-that-emer···-failure

NYT: It Was Only a Test, but What a Test
»mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2···-a-test/

"Many of the reported failures affected cable and satellite television subscribers, and some were quite head-scratching: Some DirecTV subscribers said their TV sets played the Lady Gaga song “Paparazzi” when the test was underway. Some Time Warner Cable subscribers in New York said the test never appeared on screen. Some Comcast subscribers in northern Virginia said their TV sets were switched over to QVC before the alert was shown.

In some cases the test messages were delayed, perhaps because the messages are designed to trickle down from one place to many. A viewer in Minneapolis said he saw the message about three minutes late. A viewer in Chattanooga, Tenn., said she saw it about 10 minutes late."

my area only had the alert tone sound with static for 30 seconds and then the test ended tone. So there was no "this is a test" alert in my area but just static. This is in North Texas and this was on an FM station.

moes

Cedar City, UT

we got an image on the screen and the tones and then static like a message was supposed to be played atleast the local broadcasters handled it right and even apologized for the issue about the audio

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

1 edit

this is what my test was like

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUT0v1xhoLo

Basically the duckfarts were heard, an echo of it, a voice attempted to speak "thi-" then just silence.

Basically the official FEMA view on the malfunctions: "If everything worked perfectly we'd feel we missed something"

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to owlyn

when I got home from work today my box was stuck on QVC until I did a power cycle. Guessing it was likely tuned to QVC by the EAS test.

odd thing is that I have seen this box work with EAS just fine, once for a storm and several times for Amber Alert.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

QVC is Comcast's emergency alert messaging channel for those who weren't aware.

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

Some DirecTV subscribers said their TV sets played the Lady Gaga song “Paparazzi” when the test was underway.

This made me laugh.

CSD8086

join:2004-03-12
US
reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

the duckfarts were heard, an echo of it, a voice attempted to speak "thi-" then just silence.

My local broadcast station (Boston-based) indeed played the spoken audio message in its entirety. It's sad that the quality of the message made the broadcasts from the moon sound like they were in 5.1 surround.

You would think that in 2011, we'd have something that was a few notches up from Morse code...

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

1 edit

New hardware updates should solve this problem in future tests, Just gotta wait for IPAWS and CAP *sigh*

In January 2010 Alaska conducted a live code emergency action notification (the same code used for this national test) and proved that the national EAS was functional but identified necessary improvements. The next Alaska EAS test in 2011 the following year proved a success and reinforced the idea that continued EAS testing and exercising improves the system. It’s important to remember that this is the first test. The Nov. 9 test should provide us with an accurate snapshot on where we are as a nation so we can improve the EAS incrementally.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to Oregonian

This isn't the first time directv has played music during an EAS lol

»youtu.be/zhrWUG8MO7Y

CSD8086

join:2004-03-12
US

said by Mike Wolf:

This isn't the first time directv has played music during an EAS lol

»youtu.be/zhrWUG8MO7Y

Ya know, the least they could do is limit the songs to those that were contained on the Clear Channel banned songs list:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Clear···morandum

It would at least set the mood...

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to Mike Wolf

Directv plays music on the holding / info slides / channels.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:6

An article on the Broadcasting & Cable site about today's test:

EAS Test Reveals Deficits - Emergency alert worked in most areas of the country, not in others
»www.broadcastingcable.com/articl···cits.php

jkj860
The Final Frontier

join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN
reply to wdsnls

I was listening to a local radio broadcast when the test occurred. The sounds went off and someone started to speak saying it was only a test and then it went silent cutting off the message.
--
I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant. Nixon

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

As we say in the I.T. world, this is why we test. Now that we know what doesn't work, it can be fixed. The only problem is that it hasn't been tested sooner.

Of course, if we ever do have to use it, the point will be moot, as it would be such a catastrophic event that it really won't matter if we were warned or not. It will just be BOAKYAGB.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Verizon Broadban..
reply to telcodad

"Many of the reported failures affected cable and satellite television subscribers, and some were quite head-scratching: Some DirecTV subscribers said their TV sets played the Lady Gaga song Paparazzi when the test was underway"

I can hear it now on tomorrow's 700 club: "that here queers with directv are trying to indoctrinate our youth!" haha!
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to owlyn

true but it gives us engineers something to do so we don't become bored and build robots out of old set top boxes lmao