how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

humanoid jed

join:2011-10-08
l1v

[TekTalk] Can't make outgoing calls

Hi all. As of a couple of days ago I haven't been able to place any outgoing calls from my TekTalk line (which isn't even a month old).

I get a dial tone, but after dialing any number I immediately get a busy signal. Incoming calls work just fine.

I've yet to hear from tech support. FWIW I'm using a SPA2102 voip device. Is there anything I can do on my end?

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

Have you contacted us about this?
You can post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum for additional help.
--
TSI Martin (Escalations) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

Nemo888

join:2005-12-25
Canada
reply to humanoid jed

Mine was doing the same thing intermittently. Then no outgoing or incoming. Then after resetting it many times it started working again. They gave up and replaced it eventually. New one seems to work fine, but it's only been a few days.

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Anveo
·Shaw

I've seen a couple of reports of this elsewhere. What is the solution other than replacing the device?

Has anyone with access to the System tab in admin/advanced set up a Syslog server to see what is going on?

m.
--
Recommended ATA Settings | e164 - make your DID accessible via SIPBroker!

Mango
Premium
www.toao.net

Bump. Has this issue been resolved for all clients?

NewTekusr

@teksavvy.com

That's the beauty of direct forum. We dont know what happens. TSI wont post here that its resolved.

humanoidjed2

@teksavvy.com

Hi all, I'm the OP. I'm sorry I kinda just posted this and then went AWOL... suffice it to say we had some family issues.

Finally today I was able to find a couple of free hours to call Teksavvy. And yes, TSI Martin, I had contacted you about this via email... It took you over 10 days btw to simply reply "you'll have to call us" ... hmph. I can give you my phone number over private msg if you want to look at the support logs.

So after a 43 min wait I finally got someone. After power cycling both my router and voip device (a spa2102 purchased from teksavvy), he asked me to give him logmein access and also had me dial the following in my phone: ****

"•Press 73738# to perform a full reset of unit to the defaults as it shipped from Linksys. This will reset the Admin account password to the default of blank."

He then asked if the voip device was directly plugged into the router. It was. Then he asked if the PC was directly plugged into the voip device. It wasn't - I have a cheapo wireless router (with dd-wrt) plugged in, and into that the PC. He said that's not what I was supposed to do, and to plug the pc directly into the voip device. Whatever, I just need to make outgoing calls, whatever you need man.

And then the call dropped! Grar! Im on my cell phone, luckily my company pays for it, but what about the cancer? (j/k)

I called back and am still waiting. Will keep you posted.

humanoidjed2

@teksavvy.com

Update: I was called back by Al (at least it sounded like "Al"), he was very nice but my main problem was that my PCs and routers are all down in the basement.. where cell signal is very spotty. Calls kept getting cut off, so I ended up looking for next steps online by myself.

In the end I was able to find on this site the line to enter in Provisioning, and that did the trick, I now am able to call again.

For future reference, this is how the outgoing calls thing was fixed on my end:

Issue: Unable to place outgoing calls - I got a dial tone, but after dialing any number I heard something like a "busy signal" but faster tones. Incoming calls worked just fine.

Equipment: Linksys SPA2102 (no "R" revision number) sold by Teksavvy

Procedure:

1. Reset the router to factory defaults by dialing the following in a phone connected to line 1:
a) Dial four stars - "****". You should hear a recorded menu.
b) Dial "73738#" and then confirm with "1". This resets the voip box to factory-shipped defaults (not teksavvy defaults, linksys defaults)

2. Using a PC directly connected to the voip box, use a browser and enter this URL: »192.168.0.1/

3. Click "Voice", then "Admin Login", then "Advanced", and finally the "Provisioning" tab

4. Enter the following in the "Profile rule" field:
[--key $SN] »p.teksavvy.com/spa/$MA

5. Power cycle the voip box. Hell, power cycle everything.

6. Try again on your phone, remember only line 1 works. You should get a dial tone, and you should be able to dial out again.

That's how I got outgoing calls to work again. Hope this helps.

Nemo888

join:2005-12-25
Canada
reply to humanoid jed

Till it craps out again in two weeks. Not worth the trouble. I'm sending the piece of crap back. Random phone blackouts are not acceptable. It's a phone. Every other device on my network, WDTV's, linux netbook, iPhone and 3 PC's never had a problem. Obviously the SPA is a cheap piece of crap. I can't keep A PC locked to the incredibly slow 7Mb/s that is the SPA's max throughput. Plus I hate turning off uTorrent because my voice sounds garbled. My speedtests hit 49Mb/s and I DL torrents at over 3Mb/s on a good day and 2Mb/s on a bad one.

Tek Talk is trash. I'll stay with Teksavvy for phone, but not this annoying amateurish Tek Talk rubbish.

Mango
Premium
www.toao.net
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Anveo
·Shaw

I agree with you that the SPA-2102 isn't great as a router, but it's an EXCELLENT piece of VoIP hardware. Just for the record, there are plenty of us that have been using SPA-x102s and PAP2Ts for VoIP long-term with results indistinguishable from a landline. I'm sorry to hear you're having troubles, however I wouldn't place the blame on the SPA-2102.

sneaks

join:2011-12-08

Although the spa-2102 isn't a great router, it works fine as a switch in bridge mode. If your cable/dsl modem is giving out more than one ip address from your provider i would recommend this setup as the spa can still take priority over all other packets.
modem->spa->router

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

Keep in mind Teksavvy recommends:
modem->router->spa

Due to issues with the spa not being able to handle faster internet speeds..

Its not that difficult really to set things up in the router to give the spa priority...