spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

modemizer

@spcsdns.net

Mc760 usb modem antenna port type?

i cant seem to find any information so if anyone can point in me in the right direction or just tell me what it is that would be great.

fro starters i live in a really out of the way area and i get 1-3 bars weather permitting.. i figured getting an antenna for the modem since it has a port for an antenna hook up would help with some signal gain. but i cant find what type of port it is for instance i think its a FME male hook up but you never know.. from there i can find antenna's no big deal.

modemizer

@spcsdns.net

please dont post any hate information i dont care or want to hear it i live in an area where its dial up 200$+ satellite or virgin mobiles bb2go 2.5gb unlimited plan and to be honest i kinda like the virgin mobile plan even if you get throttled down after you hit 2.5gbs which i did first day i had it.

hell to be honest i would pay more if the gb cap went up alot more on regular 300kbs -1mb services i had at my previous residence i would use any were between 20-40gbs a month easy. 50$ a month is reasonable for me at least and as of this posting i've only had it for a couple weeks so we'll see if my opinion changes after i re-up.

Max Signal
Premium
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to modemizer

Antenna adapter cables for that device are available from all amplifier / antenna dealers out there . the connector is based on the dealer and what his antennas/amplifiers use.
i.e Wilson dealers have cables with FME connectors / Cyfre dealers have TNC connectors on their cables and Digital Antenna dealers have mini UHF connectors on their cables . The connector that goes in the USB card is the same with all dealers. You need to check out Millenicom.
»www.millenicom.com/
The unlimited plan is on the Sprint network and it gives you 50 GB per month , with no long term contract or taxes.

modemizer

@spcsdns.net

unfortunately Millennium doesn't have coverage in my area except for there 20gb a month plan which i assume is on a 3g network and im already on a 3g network with unlimited data month to month.

if a 4g network would just come to my area with unlimited data i would happily pay 70-100$ a month but yah thanks for the info i gotta wait till pay day and im gonna go grab a antenna.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to modemizer

»Virgin Mobile USA Broadband2Go »Ovation MC 760 (USB device)

The MC760 uses TS-9.

Max Signal
Premium
Buffalo, NY
reply to modemizer

If you are using Virgin Mobile , yes it does . Virgin mobile operates on the sprint network same as the Millenicom unlimited plan

Max Signal
Premium
Buffalo, NY
reply to dib22

TS-9 is not a good fit for that adapter . It is actually a smaller connector that works best

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas

1 recommendation

reply to modemizer

said by modemizer :

i think its a FME male hook up

That is correct.

The adapter I use with my VMC760 is the Wilson 359927.

That connects to a 971107 N Female to FME Female connector which in turn hooks to my LMR-400 coax w/N Male ends.

I also have a lightning protector at my grid antenna. And no, this was not easy to figure out!

dib22

Kansas City, MO
reply to Max Signal

said by Max Signal:

TS-9 is not a good fit for that adapter . It is actually a smaller connector that works best

Well that is interesting... but the connector is a TS-9.

»www.novatelwireless.com/index.ph···temid=51

»www.novatelwireless.com/index.ph···20Series

Max Signal
Premium
Buffalo, NY

2 edits

Not lying dude . Know my business . Ts-9 is a standard adapter. The adapter that fits that device best and has less play in it is actually smaller. Don't have to take my word for it . Check with any vendor that sells a lot of adapters for that device. Here is the link for another vendor. You can see the connection on the actual adapter is much smaller

»www.wpsantennas.com/359936-anten···dem.aspx

dib22

Kansas City, MO

I am not saying you are lying, just answering him as to what connector it is

I have never had a problem with any TS-9 to *whatever* adapters.

When I started playing with antennas on these not so long ago I was also very confused (like the OP) and once I found it was a TS-9 it was smooth sailing.

I am certain you can get several connectors to fit it... but the connector that Novatel installs on them is a TS-9.

Have a good one!

By the way OP if you haven't already check out »evdotips.blogspot.com/

The index for different topics is on the right and down the page a bit. Great information.

laserfan

Texas

said by dib22:

the connector that Novatel installs on them is a TS-9.

That's apparently correct per Novatel spec, but I'm not sure why that meant "smooth sailing" for you as the TS-9 designation is rarely mentioned in any product descriptions for the adapter cables we need.

It is interesting to look at the novatel spec sheet as firstly it confirms the 760 has an on-board switch (though I can't actually make-out how it physically occurs) which I surmise is responsible to disconnect the internal antenna when a plug is inserted.

It also asserts a "half-locking mating mechanism with the plug, providing a good clicking sensation" and I have never thought about a "clicking sensation" when inserting my adapter--now that I try it, it's there.

I can't reconstruct why I bought the 359927 and not the 359936; maybe someday I'll get a 359936 and see if the plugs are identical.

dib22

Kansas City, MO

said by laserfan:

said by dib22:

the connector that Novatel installs on them is a TS-9.

That's apparently correct per Novatel spec, but I'm not sure why that meant "smooth sailing" for you as the TS-9 designation is rarely mentioned in any product descriptions for the adapter cables we need.

What I meant by smooth sailing is that once I realized the connector type I just jumped over to ebay and ordered a TS-9 to *whatever*, where *whatever* was the cable type I was connecting to

laserfan

Texas

said by dib22:

What I meant by smooth sailing is that once I realized the connector type I just jumped over to ebay and ordered a TS-9 to *whatever*, where *whatever* was the cable type I was connecting to

Hmmm, what's "ebay"? A teknuckle site I've not heard of before!