spc
Search similar:

uniqs
loki993
join:2010-04-02
Warren, MI

loki993

Is it worth it to buy your own modem?

Just wondering as I just started looking. It seems that the general consensus is that the Moto SB6120/21 and the Cisco DPC3000 are the best to get. Thing is they're about 80 to 90 bucks. So yeah in the long run it would be, but the upfront cost is kinda steep for someone on a budget, especially with a lot of other stuff to buy for a new house.

That said the lease fee, along with all the other fees that come with cable in fact, are annoying for a service that is already really expensive in the first place. that however is a discussion for another time.

You cant really do anything to the modem if you have your own right? No tweaks or anything like that, Comcast still controls everything.

What do you think?
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

Buy your own.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

1 recommendation

baineschile to loki993

Premium Member

to loki993
Yep. Motorola SB6120.

Retails for about $80. At $7/mo, youll make your money back in a year.

You cant update the firmware or anything like that, but it beats possibly getting an older model one from your ISP. When it becomes out of spec (should last at least 3 years) you can sell it online to someone who has an ISP thats still compatible with it. In the longrun, its worth it.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to loki993

Premium Member

to loki993
The Zoom 5341 is right up there as well.

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b to loki993

MVM

to loki993
said by loki993:

You cant really do anything to the modem if you have your own right? No tweaks or anything like that, Comcast still controls everything.

This is correct.

You only own the hardware so there will be no monthly rental fee. Comcast supplies the software (firmware) so it can communicate with their systems properly. Tampering with that is illegal, the same as if they owned the hardware.

Dest
Bolo
Premium Member
join:2000-03-21
Naperville, IL

Dest to loki993

Premium Member

to loki993
if you are willing buy on ebay, probably can get it cheaper

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
Cape Cod

2 recommendations

jack b

MVM

Bad move. ONLY buy a modem from a reputable authorized dealer, otherwise you'll likely wind up with a stolen or broken device that Comcast won't activate. Not worth the trouble.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

said by jack b:

Bad move. ONLY buy a modem from a reputable authorized dealer, otherwise you'll likely wind up with a stolen or broken device that Comcast won't activate. Not worth the trouble.

Couldn't agree more. That could spell t-r-o-u-b-l-e !!

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium Member
join:2009-01-17

C_Chipperson to loki993

Premium Member

to loki993
yes!
ctggzg
Premium Member
join:2005-02-11
USA

1 edit

ctggzg to loki993

Premium Member

to loki993
Yes, get your own modem, but buying an overpriced DOCSIS 3 modem is a bad idea. Get a solid, reliable BEFCMU10 or SB5100 for $20 - $25 and buy a D3 modem in a year or two when prices are reasonable. You won't see any difference unless you're paying for 50 Mbps.
said by jack b:

Bad move. ONLY buy a modem from a reputable authorized dealer, otherwise you'll likely wind up with a stolen or broken device that Comcast won't activate.

"Likely" meaning 1 in 50? Are you saying that from experience or only because you don't like other people getting stuff cheaper?

Dest
Bolo
Premium Member
join:2000-03-21
Naperville, IL

Dest to EG

Premium Member

to EG
talking about New in box one, not the used one. There's also buyer protection and of course only buy from reputable seller

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

Whatever floats yer' boat....

cae
@comcast.net

cae to loki993

Anon

to loki993
as time goes on more modem will be classed as end of life so better get retail docsis3 last longer. ps if you got cdv service you still have to pay the rental on emta but not the retail modem you buy.

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol to loki993

Premium Member

to loki993
Yes.
loki993
Warren, MI

loki993

So whats wrong with ebay? I've bough stuff from there before?

Also I would be in a DOCSIS3 area. I don't like buying old tech, If I'm going to get something I like to get the latest, but then again If I'm never going to use it.

some say its not worth it for a DOCSIS3 modem, some say it is. What if they upgrade the speed? How fast do the Non 3 modems support?

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
Cape Cod

jack b

MVM

There's nothing inherently wrong with ebay for many items, other than that, all I was saying is there is a chance you might get stuck with a broken or un-returned modem, or one for whatever reason Comcast refuses to activate. Then what?

If you're going to buy a modem, your best bet is get a brand new modem that comes with a manufacturers warranty.
Expand your moderator at work

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

1 recommendation

baineschile to loki993

Premium Member

to loki993

Re: Is it worth it to buy your own modem?

said by loki993:

So whats wrong with ebay? I've bough stuff from there before?

People sell non-compliant/broken modems on there all the time. Most commonly though, people try and sell rented modems thats the ISP end up de-activating. Read through the forums, youll see some of the horror stories.
said by loki993:

Also I would be in a DOCSIS3 area. I don't like buying old tech, If I'm going to get something I like to get the latest, but then again If I'm never going to use it.

SB6120 can support D3 speeds, multiple channel bonding, and IPv6. Both should be good for a minium of 36 months. Outside of that, no one know whats in store from the wired ISPs
said by loki993:

some say its not worth it for a DOCSIS3 modem, some say it is. What if they upgrade the speed? How fast do the Non 3 modems support?

Buy one. Non D3 modems top out at 20-25mbps. D3 can support (theoritically) 150mbps. A d2 modem will run you about $40, and a D3 modem is about $80. The rental is the same through comcast, so upgrading will pay for itself in only 6 months longer than a D2 modem wouldYou will save a ton of money over the life of the modem anyways, have the top of the line tech, and future-proof yourself in a ton of ways.
dj0521
join:2005-03-02
Orlando, FL

dj0521 to loki993

to loki993
Yes buying your own modem will save you money over time. As far as control of the device it will depend what device you purchase and who configures it at the comcast side. I personally like the Cisco Dpc 3000 modem BUT make sure you area have the boot file for the modem FIRST and I have found that not all areas have the appropriate boot file for the DPC 3000. If your going wit business class not residential service you must lease a modem and can not provide your own modem. Hope this helps.
loki993
Warren, MI

loki993

I can check on the cisco.

I was thinking the SB6121, sinc from what Ive seen its within 10 dollars of the 6120 and its the newer version.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to ctggzg

MVM

to ctggzg
said by ctggzg:

Yes, get your own modem, but buying an overpriced DOCSIS 3 modem is a bad idea. Get a solid, reliable BEFCMU10 or SB5100 for $20 - $25 and buy a D3 modem in a year or two when prices are reasonable. You won't see any difference unless you're paying for 50 Mbps.

said by jack b:

Bad move. ONLY buy a modem from a reputable authorized dealer, otherwise you'll likely wind up with a stolen or broken device that Comcast won't activate.

"Likely" meaning 1 in 50? Are you saying that from experience or only because you don't like other people getting stuff cheaper?

It really comes down to risk. Deactivated modems have been sold on ebay before, in which case you are out of luck if you choose to buy one. I always buy my cable modem equipment from a reputable dealer. Same goes for my games. I never buy a used game with a multiplayer serial number off ebay because someone probably copied the serial key and is reselling it. This is an inexpensive item. Just buy it new and be happy. I wouldn't want the aggravation if my modem didn't work and now I was out $60 if I could buy a new one for $80.

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer to loki993

to loki993
Agreed on that.

Optionally, I you aren't sure of the benefits, you can rent one for a month via the local Comcast office (I'm doing exactly that with the ARRIS WBM760A I picked up today).

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview to loki993

Premium Member

to loki993
Once you have broadband ... you never go back to anything else so that $7.00 a month can essentially be multiplied by "forever" which is a helluva lot more money than $80 to $90.
thatissick
join:2010-08-17
Atlanta, GA

thatissick to loki993

to loki993
I just got comcast internet and got my own used d3 modem for 46 bucks, through craigslist, and so far im happy. I'll make up for that rent money in about 7 months.