spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jonc101
join:2006-11-09
Calgary, AB

jonc101

[ALL] Opinions on the SMC DOCSIS 3.0 modems

After having waited 3 months I finally received my SMC Broadband 50 modem. I plugged it in and was instantly disappointed at the lack of features available through the web interface.

I'm coming from the DD-WRT WRT54G angle where the firmware is just godly. Does anybody have any opinions on these SMC modems? Good/bad? I've heard that the Cisco modems are better and so I'm leaning towards the side of returning this SMC one.

My SMC modem was running in Bridged Mode when I first plugged it in (as per request of Shaw because I didn't want a modem with a wireless interface), the problem is, even when configured in bridged mode it *still* broadcasts an SSID and there's no way to turn it off unless I call Shaw and have them reset the firmware to Router mode, turn off the wireless interface, call Shaw again to enable Bridged mode.

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty

I'm running the Cisco on Business BB50 in bridge mode, with a DIR-655 behind it, followed by a netgear 16 port switch. Works absolutely perfect. Rock solid speeds, no issues at all. I've heard some haven't had issues with the SMC, others want to burn the thing. Haven't heard of really any serious issues with Cisco at all. Once it's in bridge mode, it's a dream. Entered my static IP into the 655 and haven't had to reboot since. If you are experiencing issues with the SMC, I personally would suggest getting it swapped for the Cisco unit and see how that works.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to jonc101

Premium Member

to jonc101
To put it simplely, Shaw has crippled the software. Both Cisco and SMC.

I find the SMC firmware and hardware to be lacking in the first place, especially when comparing the Cisco to SMC, but to have Shaw cripple it after,

If you have a powerful enough router, leave your modem as a modem, and use your router. You will be much happier.
shawuser3
join:2010-10-15
Vancouver, BC

shawuser3 to jonc101

to jonc101
Use your own router. (Not a WRT54G as those are ancient and their NAT won't reliably transfer at the higher speeds of BB50).
jonc101
join:2006-11-09
Calgary, AB

jonc101

Really? How does DD-WRT have issues with NAT?

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to jonc101

Premium Member

to jonc101
the WRT54G series, have issues with doing NAT at 50mbps, too slow of CPU and not enough memory for a large number of sessions

shawuser said, "higher speeds of 50mbps"
shawuser3
join:2010-10-15
Vancouver, BC

shawuser3 to jonc101

to jonc101
Not that it has troubles with NAT, just the throughput WAN->LAN may impact performance. Many forums I've read say users of the WRT54GL (the newer versions) are only capable of about 30Mbps through the NAT.

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to jonc101

to jonc101
WRT54GL is meant for ADSL 6Mb or 15Mb connections. Trying to push 50Mb speeds on such an old router will not work so well. The hardware on those just are too out dated to handle it. Best bet is upgrade your router. Brutal, but honest.
squeeky
join:2011-12-15
Seattle, WA

squeeky to shawuser3

to shawuser3
Hmm that explains why I am only getting 30M with my new Shaw 50M service and a WRT54G. Guess I am shopping for a new router. Thx for the info.
saberon6
join:2011-05-27

saberon6

Yes the WRT54GL is a rock solid router but will only handle around 30Mbps. It worked great with Extreme but I upgraded to an ASUS RT-N56U for BB100.

Dodom
@74.198.150.x

Dodom

Anon

NETGEAR wndr3700 v1 here on BB50. Replaced my old wrt54gl with latest tomato. This NETGEAR is ripping smooth, really love that router.