uniqs
share rss forum feed

inGearX
3.1415 9265

join:2000-06-11
New York

AutoAssure - what do you think?

Hi what do you think of AutoAssure? »www.autoassure.com/

They provide insurance for things like have cover things like the engine, transmission, and drive axle. what do you think?

I have a 2001 Chevy Impala with 116K miles...

And I'm thinking of going on a roadtrip form NYC to Florida... would be nice to have something like that covered?

Any experience with them?

Any ideas?

tips?

tricks?

what to watch out for? (they say "You must continue to maintain your vehicle according to the manufacturers recommended maintenance schedule." their fine print might say I need to provide proof of prior maintenance - else it will invalidate my claim ... many things... )

They'll give me a call and I'll get a quote and I'll report back...

Any other companies like that?

really

@optonline.net

Like every other thing they are a scam...

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to inGearX

No worth it. First of all it's not a warranty. It's a service contract. You'll spend a minimum of $1000 if not twice that or more to cover the the listed components. They are only covered up to the value of the car, so average trade in value around $3000 currently. There's almost always a list of exceptions that are about as long as the list of covered parts. You'd most likely be better off putting the money that you would have paid for the service contract in a rainy day fund should you have difficulties down the road.

Tappedout

@rr.com
reply to inGearX

Most of those service contract deals are a scam.
They have loads of restrictions that are basically impossible to fulfill.
If you notice they change names almost as often as most people change undies.

fixrman
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Hatboro, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to inGearX

Most aftermarket warranties are not worth it. First off, they are usually what is known as "exclusionary policies", which basically means they cover some things but others are specifically excluded. For example, for engine protection, they may cover "any internally lubricated part". any other engine failure or problem is specifically excluded. Also, often times consequential damage is excluded which may result in an unexpected charge for repairs. An alternator's electrical failure may be covered, but a failed *bearing could be excluded (and saying that an electrical failure occurred may not work).

Secondly, most policies are too expensive for what they cover. Most owners would do better to create their own repair account, such as placing $1000.00 in an interest-bearing account and adding money to that either weekly or monthly. All vehicle repairs including maintenance should be paid for from that account. If the only expenses are regular maintenance items and annual or other mandated inspections, by the time the vehicle has reached the end of its normal useful life, there should be an excess of funds available for a down payment on a replacement.

Finally, realise that repair control is lost if a third party is involved. The administrators of the policy get to dictate how the repair is performed (unless the policy holder agrees to pay for additions) and the timing of said repair. Although rental coverage may be provided, it may not be provided for parts or other unavoidable delays and may also only cover the time of repair. Time of repair means the flat rate time it takes to complete a repair, and there is usually a minimum number of repair hours to qualify for rental coverage. For example, a four hour repair may not qualify for a rental vehicle, but an 8 hour repair may qualify - however rental coverage might be one day or eight hours only. The policy administrator also reserves the right to *inspect the vehicle through an adjuster which could take up to 48 hours.

*The repair facility must work with the adjuster(s) to prove failures and cannot begin repairs or diagnostics beyond a certain point before contacting the customer and the policy administrator. Any diagnostics that do not result in a covered repair are the sole responsibility of the consumer in nearly all cases.

If a purchaser is "lucky" enough, a repair exceeds the price of the policy and they then think that the policy was "worth" the purchase. This isn't always the case. I submit that if an owner self-insures, they accomplish the same thing on their own terms. It does however require discipline, but the self-protection could be had at the same or lower initial investment; perhaps $30.00 a month or $10.00 per week added after the initial investment should be enough to cover most maintenance repairs. It also will nearly always guarantee more intentional vehicle maintenance which should eliminate those "surprise" big ticket failures. Surprise is in quotes because engine and transmission failures are usually the result of maintenance neglect and rarely is there no warning of impending doom.
--
"from a broken heart to a hole in the sky"

inGearX
3.1415 9265

join:2000-06-11
New York
reply to inGearX

thank you everyone good info

wow well via way back machine I see that they are new! and recent! I wonder what they were called before

»wayback.archive.org/web/20100501···sure.com

well some updates

so I got a call from a salesman - and it was not nice

it was a very thenceforward pressure tactic - not to give a chance to the consumer to think, to reflect...

so I get a call:

quote:

Sales rep says he needs the VIN# - so I give it to him

then he says because the vehicle is over 10 years and has 116 miles - they need to get me to the authorization department

the authorization sales rep says - hmmmmmm this one time only he is going to do me a favor and make an exception and let me join - but on this call only!!! it was comical! I wish I could record that!!!

gets me back to the sales rep (they probably sit side by side and laugh ... ) sales reps says - it's a 5 year plan with $714 per year and total is $3570
and gives two options for a $495 down payment and payments for next 12 months or $299 down payment and payments for next 15 months
and asks what credit card will it be?

I reply: I would like to read the contract and the fine print... he says well you have 30 days month back and you will get the papers in the mail in 14 days and I can review them...

tehgodgoogle

@optonline.net

Or you could go to the BBB and see they are like from 2010...

»www.bbb.org/dallas/business-revi···90309899

Additional Information
topBBB file opened: 12/27/2010
Business started: 09/01/2010

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2
reply to inGearX

With few exceptions they are not worth it.

psafux
Premium,VIP
reply to inGearX

said by inGearX:

gets me back to the sales rep (they probably sit side by side and laugh ... ) sales reps says - it's a 5 year plan with $714 per year and total is $3570

Do you have $700 worth of -eligible- repairs on your car per year?

Invest the cash or put it in a savings account. You will be far ahead.

Run from this "deal".

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus

join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL

1 edit
reply to inGearX

How is anyone stupid enough to fall for this?
$256.25 a month for 12 months + $495 down for $3,570 in very limited protection on a car that is worth $3800 in great condition.
If you can afford $256.25 a month you are better off just buying a new car when yours dies.

You are better off just charging the repair to a credit card and making payments. Most repair shops have no interest for 1 yr credit card offers.

psafux
Premium,VIP

said by Oh_No:

How is anyone stupid enough to fall for this?

Fast / sleazy sales tactics win many times. Don't give them a chance to consider. The OP explained how this occurred with his scenario. "I can't usually do this but for you...." Make it sound like you are doing -them- a favor and a sale is all that much more guaranteed. People are willing to pay a steep premium for "peace of mind" that comes along with a warranty. You sign up and have 30 days to reconsider. You don't get the paperwork for a couple of weeks and don't have time to really read it for a few days / a week. Soon time is out to change your mind or they have some other 'gotcha' that is in the contract which you agreed to over the phone without even reading the paperwork.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus

join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL

I like to believe that americans are not that stupid.

psafux
Premium,VIP

said by Oh_No:

:\

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Oh_No

said by Oh_No:

Ever read about the mortgage fiasco when LOTS of people were told they could afford a McMansion and instead of thinking about it they blindly said "OF COURSE I CAN AFFORD A MCMANSION - sign me up"....

Lots of people were stupid...

--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
reply to inGearX

are