uniqs

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau

Premium Member

Epoxy on top of epoxy?

I had to fix some wood windows, of course I didn't have enough of epoxy. I need to apply some more. Can I use the same of the same product and just put some more, obviously cured by the time I apply more? Will it bond? Rather fix the window than to replace it.
49528867 (banned)
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

49528867 (banned)

said by Warzau:

I had to fix some wood windows, of course I didn't have enough of epoxy. I need to apply some more. Can I use the same of the same product and just put some more, obviously cured by the time I apply more? Will it bond? Rather fix the window than to replace it.

Yes you can, if the old epoxy is been on for a time you might want to rough it up a little but either way give a good cleaning with acetone and you should be good to go.

Wayne

Warzau
Premium Member
Naperville, IL

Warzau

Premium Member

Thanks!! I just ran out today. So it's fresh but will be hour old so it would be cured by the time I get back to it.
Crescent
Premium Member
join:2003-01-22
canada

1 recommendation

Crescent

Premium Member

The near perfect bond is both chemical and mechanical bond.

Mechanical bond is best done by sanding with sharp 60 grit sand paper.

Chemical bond is best done just after the epoxy hardens but has not reached full cure. This time is very "fuzzy" because it depends on the product cure time, (fast cure/slow cure) the temperature of the surroundings and the exothermic reactions (self generated heat that gets "hot as hell" in a huge lump"

Epoxy is very good, It bonds well to both it's self and many other things (but not most plastics) Meaning, in general you have little worry of getting a good bond.

The one thing to watch for is "amine blush" a very annoying thing that happens with there is a lot of moisture in the air while it is curing.
You will see a white milky look on the surface. The second coat does not stick well to it.

Wash with vinegar, sand with 60 grit and you should be good to go.

Warzau
Premium Member
Naperville, IL

Warzau

Premium Member

Thank again, turns out there was more rot and part of the brick molding was affected so I had to buy some epoxy wood putty. Pretty cool stuff! It's exactly like that mighty putty stuff. come in a malleable stick, knead it to mix the parts and then jam it in, the consistency stay clay like for 15 min, till it hardens, in a hour. Best part it is cream like my trim so no rush to paint it to hide the repair .
Crescent
Premium Member
canada

Crescent

Premium Member

Epoxy is good stuff.
I often buy the one gallon kit resin and hardener, with calibrated "ketchup pumps" to get the mix right.

I mix my own filler to change the properties of the resin. Different fillers can radical change the epoxy, from tough as nails to something sand-able.

Once cured it is very strong, but UV rays from sun light breaks it down on the surface. (it will start to go chalky)
A quick sand a paint will keep the damaging sun off the epoxy.

For regular home users, the kit you picked up is handy but pricey. (makes sense if using a small amount)
The gallon kit I use is in the $140>150 range, plus the fillers.(3 big tubs of fillers (3 different kinds), about $10 to $15 each)

Good old Bondo does quite a good job, a coat of paint, and only you and your pocket book will know the difference.
boaterbob
Premium Member
join:2005-08-01
Moncks Corner, SC

boaterbob

Premium Member

PC Epoxy -
»www.pcepoxy.com/index.php
seems to have a good product line and many of their products are available from Home Depot (may need to order on-line from Home Depot for some items).

I recently used some PC11 (underwater cure epoxy to repair a concrete seawall crack) and it worked great. The company's tech service gave excellent e-mail support.
49528867 (banned)
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

49528867 (banned)

A really good place to pick up many things epoxy related is US Composites, good pricing and fast shipping.

»www.uscomposites.com/

Wayne

Warzau
Premium Member
Naperville, IL

Warzau to Crescent

Premium Member

to Crescent
Were do you get it, I went to three big box hardware store. All they had were the small dual syringe type..
Crescent
Premium Member
canada

Crescent

Premium Member

Well I am in Canada EAH?

I do not get it from BIG BOX places, marine supply if I am in a bind, or specialty plastics type places have better prices.

I seem to like "industrial formulators products" It was a local company but got bought by system 3 in the USA I think. "System 3" sometimes, "West system" (the "benchmark" company for boat building, but the price is more) "East System" is good

Using different epoxies, one on top of the other, is "probably" ok, but the manufacture will never tell you that.

Bondo over epoxy or the other way around, let the product reach full cure time times 2 before putting different over top.

There are 2 words that are used, hard, and full cure, better instructions will state that, and then tell you it changes with temperature. (in other words, you figure it out

Products that are 100% or very near 100% solids is better.

I use epoxy mostly because I am more familiar with it. (it does not stink like polyester (bondo like product)
Bondo makes more sense due to price and availability. (Not every thing I do makes sense