reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet to cablegeek01

MVM

to cablegeek01

Re: Small CMTS installs

for what its worth -- your c7609 chassis looks like a c6509 chassis in this drawing.
more appropriate to use a 6509v-e chassis for accuracy's sake.

q.

cablegeek01
join:2003-05-13
USA

cablegeek01

Funny you mention that. IIRC we were using 6509s with the SUP720 (in effect making them 7609 routers). I cant remember if they were VE chassis or not though...I'll have to dig into my photo album and see if I can find some pics of it. That diagram is 7-10 years old.

tubbynet
MVM
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by cablegeek01:

Funny you mention that. IIRC we were using 6509s with the SUP720 (in effect making them 7609 routers).

nope.
big difference between a c6509 and a c7609. while you can run a sup720 inside of a c7600 -- there are a lot of stupid caveats that go with it. more people run the 'rsp720' in the c7600 -- which has a lot more features and better performance as a 'router' -- instead of a campus switch with routing features.

both are used extensively in service provider networks, but the two are not the same.

q.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to cablegeek01

Premium Member

to cablegeek01
Cool
can you go into the bonding on D3?
is it still upconverted later or does D3 require the combo cards that can self upconvert? if its up/down converted later do the channels that will be bonded have to be programed in as to port 1, 3, ect or does it use them as a port group or something?

cablegeek01
join:2003-05-13
USA

cablegeek01

I haven't done any D3 installs on the Cisco UBR7246 chassis, but from what I understand, the only card that supports D3 is the MC88V. It has built in upconversion, and outputs 4 QAMs per DS port.
Any of D3 CMTSs that I've worked with (Cisco 10K, Arris C4, CASA) all had "Upconverted" RF outputs where you selected the Downstream frequencies and QAM(64/256) on the box (or on the EQAM in the case of the cisco 10K when using linecards like the 3g60 and manual depi sessions).

Killa200
Premium Member
join:2005-12-02
TN

Killa200

Premium Member

said by cablegeek01:

I haven't done any D3 installs on the Cisco UBR7246 chassis, but from what I understand, the only card that supports D3 is the MC88V.

And it has a mighty pretty price attached to it too, lol. Cheapest i have seen is 25k a card. At 100k for 4 cards, and then reserve cards to boot, that is what is keeping us from upgrading to d3.

tubbynet
MVM
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

$25k/card is not a bad price -- all things considered.
most of the d/c work that i do requires n7k-m132 cards -- list of about $45k/card. and you have to buy two chassis if you want all of the neat features.

i'm sure that if you get in touch with your friendly cisco se -- they can work something out with you.

q.

Killa200
Premium Member
TN

Killa200

Premium Member

said by tubbynet:

$25k/card is not a bad price -- all things considered.
most of the d/c work that i do requires n7k-m132 cards -- list of about $45k/card. and you have to buy two chassis if you want all of the neat features.

i'm sure that if you get in touch with your friendly cisco se -- they can work something out with you.

q.

As small of a system as we are, at 25k a card it would far surpass a return doing the retro... but i could always dream

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_ to tubbynet

MVM

to tubbynet
Who pays list price though... Only fools.

Killa200
Premium Member
TN

Killa200

Premium Member

said by TomS_:

I wish the 25k was list on those mc88v's, so i could get them for less, lol.

tubbynet
MVM
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet to TomS_

MVM

to TomS_
said by TomS_:

thats for sure.
the enterprise customers i've worked with have received anywhere between 50 and 65% off -- with nearly 67% off smarnet in some cases.

of course -- these customers are buying 15-20million at a time -- so cisco can bend over a little bit for them.

q.