Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

One day companies will learn..

Not to trust someone else to get their data through.

Second, I must not be living in North America or working for a North American company because except for a brief period yesterday, my Blackberry has unfortunately been working fine.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

1 recommendation

said by ropeguru:

Not to trust someone else to get their data through.

So where do you get your internet connection from again?

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit
reply to ropeguru

Well, more like do not put all of your eggs in one basket. In the case of the Blackberry network, while it does sound like they had some redundancy in the network to at least keep things somewhat running, the fact that the Blackberries seem to run everything through the Blackberry network first, INSTEAD of allowing the phone to run like Android or iPhones do sounds like the major flaw here. I would imagine that if Blackberry were to go down, functions such as mail (non-Blackberry) and Web Browsing would still work as the phone should technically be connected to the cellular provider's network and be holding an IP address. In the case of Android or iPhone, this holds true since essentially, you can operate if the Android Marketplace or the Apple Store goes down. You just won't be able to use apps such as iTunes (to it's fullest), the App Store, etc.

Now if I'm misunderstanding how Blackberry phones work, since I have not used one, please tell me

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to cdru

I get my internet connection from whomever is available. As a corporation it could be multiple providers for redundancy.

For Blackberry messaging all your eggs for message delivery go through them with no other choice.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to Smith6612

said by Smith6612:

Well, more like do not put all of your eggs in one basket. In the case of the Blackberry network, while it does sound like they had some redundancy in the network to at least keep things somewhat running, the fact that the Blackberries seem to run everything through the Blackberry network first, INSTEAD of allowing the phone to run like Android or iPhones do sounds like the major flaw here. I would imagine that if Blackberry were to go down, functions such as mail (non-Blackberry) and Web Browsing would still work as the phone should technically be connected to the cellular provider's network and be holding an IP address. In the case of Android or iPhone, this holds true since essentially, you can operate if the Android Marketplace or the Apple Store goes down. You just won't be able to use apps such as iTunes (to it's fullest), the App Store, etc.

Now if I'm misunderstanding how Blackberry phones work, since I have not used one, please tell me

I think you pretty much nailed it in how it works. Although, I concur as to not knowing how regular internet data flows through their network.

supergeeky

join:2003-05-09
United State
kudos:3
reply to Smith6612

With blackberry, everything goes from phone service provider direct to blackberry's datacenter(s) then on to the Internet.

Whereas every body elses phone goes from phone service provider direct to Internet.

This single point of failure should have been considered a design flaw, but rather they market it as improved service and security - I'm glad the ruse is coming to light for more sysadmins that fell trap to this. I won't miss you RIM, nor your expensive, overpriced bloat-ware that had to be installed server-side.

Learn to use Exchange which has built-in mobile syncing capability or Google Apps which offers the same via Exchange emulation of sorts: »www.google.com/mobile/sync/

NOCTech75
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Marietta, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by supergeeky:

This single point of failure should have been considered a design flaw, but rather they market it as improved service and security -

Well it does improve security.. shit is so damned secure not even you can access your stuff.

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to ropeguru

When I had a BlackBerry ALL internet access was proxied through their servers. Visiting google.com resulted in being redirected to google.ca.
--
PRescott7-2097