spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Steve100

join:2011-10-13

Suspended ATT account -- what happens to email

When a att.net email account is suspended and people who send email to the address get a mailer-daemon returned, what is the status of the emails that were in that account. Can they be recovered or are they purged? Also is there a period prior to this action freezes the account because of inactivity? Where can I get the info?

markell2011

join:2010-03-13
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

they downgrade you to a free yahoo account all you have to do is change the email password stays the same you get to keep yahoo answer points its just a downgrade from yahoo premium to yahoo basic and you will have stuff every where to remined you of when you a att user

Steve100

The att rep told me that the att.net account is put into suspend mode when it is inactive for 6 months. Once in suspend mode (and the mailer-deamon message appears) this means that the email has been deactivated at yahoo and the emails/contacts are purged. can someone confirm this is the process?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Steve100

Why was the account suspended? If your account was in good standing and you canceled, AT&T allows you to transfer the account to a free Yahoo! Mail account, and keep the domain. I canceled my 'at&t Yahoo! HSI Pro' account last June; replaced it with another ISP. I am still able to access all of my '@pacbell.net' email accounts. But the bills were paid current, and on time through the end of the service.

I expected only to be able to use Web Mail access, but even the free accounts seem able to use SMTP again:

Received: from nm20.bullet.mail.sp2.yahoo.com ([98.139.91.90]) by snt0-mc2-f44.Snt0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.4675);
 Thu, 13 Oct 2011 14:02:56 -0700
Received: from [192.168.102.34] (%User_Name%@173.228.18.23 with plain)
        by smtp204.mail.gq1.yahoo.com with SMTP; 13 Oct 2011 14:02:56 -0700 PDT
Message-ID: <4E9751E7.7090103@kozue.aosake.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 14:02:31 -0700
Organization: Polka Dot Ranch
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:7.0.1) Gecko/20110929 Thunderbird/7.0.1
To: %User_Name%@hotmail.com
Subject: [TEST] Four months ...
Return-Path: %User_Name%@pacbell.net
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 13 Oct 2011 21:02:56.0657 (UTC) FILETIME=[7B57C010:01CC89EB]

The message submission server that I used for the email (abbreviated headers shown) was: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com:465', not the branded version AT&T customers are supposed to use.

My understanding is that the account must be in good standing. If it was suspended for late, or non-payment, or ToS violation, then all bets are off.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:3
reply to Steve100

said by Steve100:

The att rep told me that the att.net account is put into suspend mode when it is inactive for 6 months. Once in suspend mode (and the mailer-deamon message appears) this means that the email has been deactivated at yahoo and the emails/contacts are purged. can someone confirm this is the process?

I cannot confirm/deny the process, but I do know that if the sender on the other side receives a "mailer-daemon" error, the message they sent is not retained or kept by AT&T.

Further more, it would make perfect sense to me that if a customer is not paying for an account any longer, that at some point in time the email that is retained in the account will get purged. AT&T has millions of email accounts, and I am willing to bet they probably have thousands of accounts that are going to be marked as "inactive" each months from customers moving to different providers. (they also get new customers of course that get new email accounts).

But then, as NormanS already said, it sort of depends on the situation. In the end, I would recommend non-ISP email as your main email, so you can move ISP without much hassle.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

Steve100

Is there a att.net or yahoo technical person who help me with this question? I know the suspend is initiated from att then goes to yahoo for deactivation. ATT and yahoo have been no help. They can't even answer questions.

maartena
Elmo
Premium
Orange, CA
reply to Steve100

Steve,

You are just not giving us much to go on.....

- Did you cancel the account, and asked to retain the email?
- Is the account in "good standing"?
- Did you suspend the account because you wanted to temporarily, and are planning to re-activate it?
- What do you expect to happen to the email address?
--

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Steve100

Did you suspend the account yourself, from the account control panel? I used to have ten active and a couple of suspended accounts there. Customer is allowed twenty accounts; ten active and ten suspended. But the ones which are suspended seem to go away after a while. I think those are irretrievably gone.

But you really need to explain how the account was suspended. My ten active accounts remain active four month after I cancelled service. Somewhere I have a letter they sent stating that I could use them indefinitely (which I would take as, "until they change their mind"). I also have a free AT&T Web Mail account, which was not associated with my legacy SBC DSL account, but completely new and separate from that.

Here is a screen shot of the current account management page, which I just learned about earlier this afternoon:

Account management.

If you suspended the accounts yourself, from this page, I don't know how long they last before they are removed.

If you canceled your service, and the email addresses were migrated, you should not have lost them.

But if they canceled for cause, you likely wouldn't be able to keep them.

So, please, what were the circumstances of the suspension? Or just accept the fact that the only way they would survive a "suspension" is if you canceled the service with your account "in good standing". Everything I have read from the long running thread on the subject of keeping an email account after cancellation indicates that the account must be canceled in a state of "good standing". And it must have been migrated to "SBC Yahoo! DSL Service" (prior to their purchase of AT&T), or "at&t Yahoo! HSI".

Here is the thread:

»Keep sbcglobal.net or att.net email address after DSL cancel

If you don't trust my word, post in the AT&T Direct forum. They are the only ones who would know for certain.
--
Norman

Steve100

More information --
DSL cancelled in Oct 2010
Email was not migrated
Account inactive for about a yr
ATT suspended the account and now when you email it you get the mailer-daemon notice with suspended comment back from yahoo.

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

Remote host said: 550 [SUSPEND] Mailbox currently suspended - Please contact correspondent directly [RCPT_TO]

What does the 550 (SUSPEND) mean at ATT and at Yahoo?
Are the email/contacts now purged -- gone forever or does it mean the access is just denied?
If I go through ATT or Yahoo to reactivate the account, will they be able to reestablish the account (with contacts/mail)?

If contacts/mail is still there ,will yahoo be able to move the mail/contacts to a yahoo account?

I guess the notion that something is suspended appears to me to mean it can be reinstated? Or is it only the email address can be reinstated? thx

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by Steve100:

Email was not migrated

From the link that I posted:

»Re: Keep sbcglobal.net or att.net email address after DSL cancel

quote:
It will apply to those ONLY if they were migrated to AT&T powered by YAhoo portal . Meaning you can access them at att.yahoo.com.

Not migrated means this doesn't apply to the accounts.

ATT suspended the account and now when you email it you get the mailer-daemon notice with suspended comment back from yahoo.

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

Remote host said: 550 [SUSPEND] Mailbox currently suspended - Please contact correspondent directly [RCPT_TO]

I guess the notion that something is suspended appears to me to mean it can be reinstated? Or is it only the email address can be reinstated?

Really, only AT&T can answer that. You will have to post to AT&T Direct and see of one of the techs there knows. Normally, back then, canceling an account which was not migrated normally meant you had 60 days to reconsider, then everything was gone. About the only way to find out for sure would be to sign up for new DSL service, and see if you can use the old service primary account username to activate the service. Or ask in the AT&T Direct forum.

My suspicion is that everything for those accounts has been deleted. But I don't work in the system, so I can't offer a definitive statement. Ask AT&T Direct, but don't get your hopes up.
--
Norman

maartena
Elmo
Premium
Orange, CA
reply to Steve100

It looks to me that AT&T, after an account has been cancelled, and the user has not asked AT&T to migrate the account, disables the account from any use after about a year after cancellation.

You might be able to re-instate the address if you sign up with AT&T again for DSL.

I'm not quite sure what you are expecting from AT&T, and what you expected to happen to an unused email account that hasn't been paid for for a year now. I think you pretty much gave up the rights to that account in October 2010 by not migrating.

The only way to find out is call AT&T. And start explaining the situation, and perhaps have it escalated to the next level support.

I don't know how long the account will stay in "suspend" mode, but It is probably also about 1 year or so, as it gives the account time to "cool off" so to speak. If it were given to someone else with the same name, they wouldn't want you spam, right?
--