share rss forum feed
« Here's a Tip...Speed? »
This is a sub-selection from No need for USF

asdfdfdfdfdf

@myvzw.com
reply to elray

Re: No need for USF

quote:
We don't need another welfare program, just so the "underprivileged" (whatever that means) can access Facebook,
The purpose of the universal service fund isn't to pay for service for the underprivileged. It is, at it says, to get service availability to everyone and to make sure that there aren't drastic differences in services available or extreme disparities in the cost of the same service to different people.

quote:
that is more wisely spent by the individual, than the government.
Individual consumer behavior isn't going to have any impact on whether areas that do not have service will ever get service. There are areas with unmet demand. Coverage has stagnated. It is clear that coverage by the free market has expanded as far as it is likely to expand in the next decade or two.

quote:
Broadband is CHEAP, even before you adjust for inflation and bit-rate.
Broadband isn't cheap for those who don't even have access to broadband services. Again universal service is intended to make sure that everyone has access to the services that people such as yourself have access to.
And no, it isn't about giving people service for free on your dime.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
said by asdfdfdfdfdf :

quote:
We don't need another welfare program, just so the "underprivileged" (whatever that means) can access Facebook,
The purpose of the universal service fund isn't to pay for service for the underprivileged. It is, at it says, to get service availability to everyone and to make sure that there aren't drastic differences in services available or extreme disparities in the cost of the same service to different people.

I guess you didn't read the article.

asdfdfdfdfdf

@myvzw.com
You mean the connect to compete article? If so I'm not a fan of this idea. It is a distraction from doing something substantive about the problem. Still it isn't an argument against the idea of universal service, nor is it the purpose of the universal service fund, which was intended to make sure there was universal access, not universal adoption. The incumbents don't want anything substantive done and are pushing for initiatives that focus on "consumer education" to avoid the fact that we don't have universal service and aren't going to have universal service in the present market.

jeepwrang3

join:2011-02-24
North East, MD
reply to elray
I just want USF to help me get something. I live in an area that has 0 Wireline broadband options. Comcast is planning a buildout, but it may take over a year if it is approved. I dont care, give them a chunk, so i can actually take advantage of my employers Teleworker program again, and not suffer thru a 3g card giving me 100kbs max.