Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to gigahurtz

Re: How is this company still in business?

said by gigahurtz:

I just don't understand how Blackberry still exists. I know "they're enterprise friendly" but Apple/Android has become much more enterprise friendly with newer updates. Blackberries are outdated and as made very clear from this post, unreliable.

RIP RIM.

Security and encryption.

iPhones and Androids are jailbroken and rooted before they're even released.

Blackberries remain the device of choice for security reasons.

The President doesn't have an iPhone or an Android. He has a blackberry.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
said by fifty nine:

Security and encryption.

iPhones and Androids are jailbroken and rooted before they're even released.

Blackberries remain the device of choice for security reasons.

The President doesn't have an iPhone or an Android. He has a blackberry.

Security and Encryption? Is that the primary focus on this? Ugh.. Here we go.

1. How can you tell if "security" is really secure? I'm sure there were several stories on here when RIM spewed out a customers information at the request of anyone.

2. Blackberry's aren't the device of choice when you have to monitor and handle several servers from a remote location. Have you ever SSH'd into several servers from your BB? Doubtful. What about VNC?

3. That's just fail in itself. Most people that high up don't even know how to run a smartphone, let alone how to properly use one. Not to bash Obama, though. At least he has a smartphone.

I don't run an iPhone due to me not bring an Apple fanboi. I run a Droid because I like the interface, the decent-sized keyboard, and the fact that my wallet doesn't get raped every time I get an app.

For an actual IT guy, Blackberrys are borderline useless. I'd prefer a Droid any day.
--
Bresnan 30M/5M
MyWS[i7-870@4.1G,16G RAM,2x1T HDDs,Win7]
WifeWS[A64@2G,2G RAM,120G HDD,Win7]
Router[2xP3@1G,512M RAM,18G HDD,Allied Telesyn AT2560FX,2xDigital QP DE504,Compaq DP NC3131,2xSun QP GigaSwift, SMC 8432BTA, FreeBSD]

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
kudos:6
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk
reply to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

The President doesn't have an iPhone or an Android. He has had a blackberry.

The President was told he could not use a Blackberry after he was in office because it was not secure enough. He actually has another device that is like a Blackberry but is officially blessed by the NSA as secure enough to handle even classified documents, e-mail, and Web browsing.

»news.cnet.com/obamas-new-blackbe···ure-pda/

quote:
One thing that security experts can agree on is that despite RIM's efforts, a BlackBerry probably isn't up to the security standards for a leader of the free (or even unfree) world.

BlackBerrys can become infected with viruses that install spyware or turn the microphone on and record conversations, malware can be inadvertently downloaded, e-mail and text messages can be intercepted, and, of course, they can be lost or stolen, said Dan Hoffman, chief technology officer of SMobile Systems, which sells antivirus software for the devices.

The National Vulnerability Database, which is sponsored by the Department of Homeland Security's National Cyber Security Division, lists 14 vulnerabilities for BlackBerrys. Those include ways that a malicious attacker can install malware, and perhaps crash the device through a so-called denial of service attack.
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/

Ulmo

join:2005-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to fifty nine
Using the President as an example of what is right is the most obscene thing to ever say. By the time the President gets it, it is outdated. That goes for every president.