Search similar:

uniqs

prncss5286
@direcway.com

prncss5286

Anon

[HN9000] Connecting linksys router to HN9000

Hello,
I have been trying for a week now to connect my linksys WRT54GS2 router to my HN9000 modem. I had the information from hughesnet with the IP address and all that to set it up, when I did that it still didn't work I have looked and tried to figure out what I am doing wrong as to why it won't work. I tried calling hughesnet (as in the past the cable company has walked me through with the correct steps to set it up correctly with the IP address type) but they are unable to help me bc they do not deal with router setups. If I plug directly to the modem internet works just fine. If I plug the modem into the "internet" port on the router and the "port 1" to the computer all I get is a local connection without internet, same if I try to go wirelessly. I am desperate to get this set up as it is much easier for me to be wireless on my laptop rather than be wired in to the modem. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I hope someone has some advice out there. I do know that when I have set it up, it was not a static IP it was another selection, can't remember the name at the moment. I have never had any problems setting up this router before with my other company, but moved and had to get Hughesnet and cannot for the life of me get it figured out. Thanks in advance for any and all advice/help.

Tweakbl
join:2008-09-25
Rosedale, WV

Tweakbl

First hook your Linksys Router up by itself.
Then you will need to access the Router with User Name and Password,Usually Admin Admin or admin admin.Under WAN Connection Type....

Username=Admin or admin
Password=Admin or admin

Then you need to enable DHCP for automagically working pretty with Hughesnets modem.

Now this will get you the ability to get your Linksys Router to automagically talk with the Hughesnets DHCP enabled modem.

Do remember you need to enable DHCP in Windows/Linux or what ever OS you are running on your computers.

Hughsnets Modems will not work without DHCP enabled on your other hardware.
Tweakbl

Tweakbl to prncss5286

to prncss5286
I myself have a WRT54g rev 3 I believe hooked at the moment.I have 4 others to in a box but they are spares.

Don't forget to enable WEP or WAP wireless security.You will then have to enter a key to access your router thru your wireless devices but at least no one will be sponging your connection and using your allowance.
One More Too
join:2010-09-09
Galena, IL

One More Too to prncss5286

to prncss5286
First, I'd suggest re-setting the router to factory defaults by pressing and holding in the re-set button on the back of the router. That will insure that you haven't done something that is causing the router to be non-functional.

Then, make sure that you have your connections as you stated in your post.

If you then press the auto set up button, which I believe on the WRT54GS2 is the button on the left side of the front of the router you should get a basic connection set up automatically for the computer that is hard-wired to the router. If this does not happen, there could be an issue with the router.

If the auto set up button does establish a connection, you should be able to access the router by going to 192.168.1.1. As suggested above, the default user name and password for Linksys routers should be admin and admin. Once you have accessed the router, you can set up your wireless connection and security, block broadcast of your SSID, etc.

Also, I'd suggest considering a router upgrade. The WRT54xxx series routers have been around for a while. Linksys' current series of routers offer significantly better range, data flow rates, etc., and prices are fairly reasonable.
tobicat
Premium Member
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ

tobicat to prncss5286

Premium Member

to prncss5286
read this

»How Do You Network Your Home System

Tweakbl
join:2008-09-25
Rosedale, WV

Tweakbl to One More Too

to One More Too
Yeah I had just woke up when I responded to this one.
I forgot to tell the address for it (192.168.1.1)

On the other note,I do not need nothing more at the moment then the WRT54G running DDWRT as it covers my little Home nicely.Also since I have 3 others,I can set them up to if needed.
One More Too
join:2010-09-09
Galena, IL

One More Too

said by Tweakbl:

On the other note,I do not need nothing more at the moment then the WRT54G running DDWRT as it covers my little Home nicely.Also since I have 3 others,I can set them up to if needed.

I wasn't as clear as I should have been about my recommendation that the OP consider upgrading the router.

For use with a Hughes connection, an older wireless G router should be more than satisfactory because its data transfer speeds exceed, by far, any speeds that the Hughes connection is capable of providing. But the reality is that there are more and more uses for a home network all the time. For example, I have my network set up with a networked printer. If I want to print, say, a high resolution photograph from my laptop, with the wireless N router that I have now, the large photo file will be sent from my laptop to the printer virtually as fast as if I had the laptop wired directly to the printer. On the other hand, if I used my older wireless G router, it would take a couple of minutes before the file was sent from the laptop to the printer. I also now have a couple of DIRECTV DVRs networked via my router, which allows TV programming to be shared with TVs and computers throughout the house. If I want to send HD TV programming, say, from a DVR to my laptop, with the wireless G router, the video will occasionally stutter. With the wireless N router, performance is flawless. Also, with the wireless N connection, I can take the laptop out on the deck or even quite a way into the yard and still be able to watch video sent from a DVR. With the wireless G router, that was not possible.

So, my thinking is that, if I already had a wireless G router set up and if everything was working fine and meeting my current needs, I wouldn't bother upgrading the router yet. On the other hand, if I was going to have to go through the trouble of setting up the router/network from scratch, I think it would be worth spending a few dollars to upgrade the router to a wireless N router, which would give me a set up that was more likely to meet the needs of my network in the future. Right now, I'm using my home network for things that I wouldn't have imagined a few years ago, and I'm confident that, 5 years from now, I'll be using my home network for things that I can't imagine now.

As I said in my previous post, wireless N routers are now fairly reasonably priced. And if you go to the Linksys/Cisco site, you are likely to find refurbished ones even cheaper. A couple of years ago, I bought a refurbished Linksys/Cisco Powerline adapter off of their site for less than 1/2 of the normal new price, and it has worked flawlessly.