join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to openbox9

Premium Member

to openbox9

Re: all I hear is...

said by openbox9:

said by n2jtx:

What LightSquared really wants, according to industry analysts, is a frequency swap for more valuable spectrum WITHOUT having to pay for it.

Given the FCC's bungling of this whole Charlie Foxtrot, that's exactly what needs to happen. Swap spectrum, eliminate/mitigate the interference issues, and most everyone is happy.

No way.
Lightsquare originally intended to offer only satellite broadband. They took a gamble to try and convert satellite only spectrum for ground based use and lost.

Lightsquared needs to buy ground based spectrum like everyone else instead of trying to screw americans out of our GPS network that we have been paying for and building since the 70s.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

I'd agree with you except that the FCC waived LightSquared's use of the spectrum for terrestrial use. LightSquared's poor engineering efforts and the FCC's negligent oversight brought this issue about.
Ulmo
join:2005-09-22
Aptos, CA

Ulmo

said by openbox9:

I'd agree with you except that the FCC waived LightSquared's use of the spectrum for terrestrial use. LightSquared's poor engineering efforts and the FCC's negligent oversight brought this issue about.

Yes, that is the oft-quoted public storyline. I find it disgusting that the follow up to that pair of stinky errors is the insistence that they be allowed to go through with it. They messed up, and need to retract. Can't businessmen and politicians find a way to make mends without continuing the garbage? That's why some of us are allowing the "spectrum swap" idea as a (unfair to legitimate users like other cell companies that bought at auction) solution, since it at least solves the main issue (GPS interference). After that, the damn phone companies can rowl in the mud for all I care to even that score, as long as they don't mess up GPS while they're duking it out.