Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
reply to en103

Re: VZ top and bottom

I wonder what the median DSL speed for Verizon actually is? Where I live I don't know anybody who gets less than 3.0/768 unless they willingly pay for less. This chart suggests that 1.5mbit/s is the average though.

Sucks for people with an HD set; I've seen some HD movies average nearly 5mbit/s when run through Netflix on my TiVo.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
In a lot of areas 3Mbps IS the Max for Verizon's DSL. Some people wind up getting 1.5Mbps on a 3Mbps connection due to some known issues and some simply get stuck at a lower speed. Then there's those homes who have everyone using the connection...

bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY
reply to Crookshanks
They provision entry as 3.) mbit and I know a lot of people get 1.3-1.7mbit. The next tier around here is 1.0 which with PPPOE overhead is worse for Netflix than 768K RR lite.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
I find that interesting. Is Netflix trying to play at exactly 1Mbps or is it playing at the same rate of Roadrunner Lite? Overhead from PPPoE/ATM shouldn't be reducing the throughput that much...

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
Netflix users can set their account to stream at
Good quality (up to 0.3 GB per hour) (ok for celphone/small screens)

Better quality (up to 0.7 GB per hour) ok for small tablets small tvs and laptop, or people with low caps or speeds

Best quality (up to 1 GB per hour, or up to 2.3 GB per hour for HD)
HD (720) looks pretty good on medium large screens (40-50") if you have the consistant bandwidth.
if you've got the 70"+ jumbotron or MUST HAVE full HD best quality at all times get the blu-ray shipping or find a diffenrt stream provider, netflix doesn't meet your streaming needs