wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
reply to kenrogers4

Re: pinhole vs setting up dynamic DNS

said by kenrogers4:

If the dynamic domain will get the current IP address (from ATT servers with the info) and substitute it

The nvg510 has the current public ip address

You should be able to "attach" the public ip address to the domain name at the zerigo website
You should also be able to find out how to update the public ip address

kenrogers4

join:2007-09-27
Bandera, TX

I got onto the zerigo website to try to "attach" as you suggested and went all over clicking on all possibilities. Couldn't see anything that came close. They want to use their servers (with fees of course) and don't seem to have any sort of way to do what we need. Maybe another dynamic dns outfit will. There are lots to choose from.

waltersaegir

join:2002-05-24
Los Altos, CA

Keep us posted on your progress.
I'm scheduled for an installation tomorrow and I will be facing the same problem.
I suppose there is still no documentation for the NVG510.

OpenDNS.com has some support for Dynamic IP. Not sure how their solutions compare with others.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to kenrogers4

I used the wrong term........

I found that zerigo has a api that will update the ip address....
I think this is a waste of time for you because your public ip address won't be changing

kenrogers4

Bandera, TX
reply to waltersaegir

I've been favorably impressed with the NVG510. It has lots of help definitions, almost documentation, on the control pages. So it helped me a lot in setting up the port forwarding (or pinhole.) I looked at your OpenDNS.com site and found a client called "OpenDNS-Updater-2.2.1.exe." This purportedly "sends your network's new IP Address to OpenDNS whenever it should change." I saved it and have it now but I really don't know how to use it. Working.... Suggestions welcome!

kenrogers4

Bandera, TX
reply to wayjac

It has changed once since we got Uverse. Granted...seldom. What's the API and how do you use it? And thank you for sticking in there with me!

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

said by kenrogers4:

It has changed once since we got Uverse. Granted...seldom

That ip change was prompted when the modem was changed

I have no experinance with the use and configuration of the software or the api

kenrogers4

Bandera, TX

I just went poking around Zerigo and found their API areas. I guess their API is like the "OpenDNS-Updater..." client and I presume you would launch it periodically (perhaps daily) to update a file that the sets the IP address on the website that links to the catalog. All pretty vague so far. Groping.