TestBoy
Premium Member
join:2009-10-13
Irmo, SC

TestBoy to fltelman

Premium Member

to fltelman

Re: 45 MB internet service

I have an inid, got it installed about a year ago now.
If my max rate is 68Kbps would that mean I can get bumped up a few notches?
Our max speed is 18Mbps and this is as much as we can get.

We plan on keeping the service as long as they don't cap it... so some faster speeds would be nice.
Mumzy
join:2009-07-30
Olive Branch, MS

Mumzy

said by TestBoy:

We plan on keeping the service as long as they don't cap it... so some faster speeds would be nice.

18Mb/s is currently the highest speed available to iNid users.
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder

Another dumb decesion. My pair bonding line reports 81Mbps max rate and we are stuck at 18.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to TestBoy

Premium Member

to TestBoy
said by TestBoy:

Not necessarily. One thing I've observed from discussions of pair bond iNid installs is that the total max bandwidth shown is well above where a set of lines are actually stable. I'm not sure if it's due to crosstalk between the lines or what, but don't expect a bonded 60mbps max rate to be equivalent to a single pair max of 60.

Nuckfuts
Premium Member
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL

Nuckfuts

Premium Member

Also, what is the max upload? I get the impression that 18/1.5 is the highest available due to the fact that pair-bonding cannot achieve 3mbps which comes with the 24/3?

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to fltelman

Premium Member

to fltelman
I cancelled my U-verse internet today. When I told him it was because Time Warner was offering faster service, the rep told me that they would have 45mbps service soon, but couldn't tell me exactly when it'd be available.

-- Rob

gdm
MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL

gdm

MVM

I'm considering leaving AT&T as well. DTV is getting installed tomorrow and I'll keep AT&T for voice/internet a bit longer but will probably end up switching to Comcast for faster speeds as well.
BigT6674
join:2011-05-02

BigT6674 to fltelman

to fltelman
Sorry if this has already been asked. Would pair bonding increase ping times at all? I play lots of online games and I wouldn't want to increase ping times more than they are already.
StLCardsFan
join:2011-06-06
Lafayette, LA

1 edit

StLCardsFan

said by BigT6674:

Sorry if this has already been asked. Would pair bonding increase ping times at all? I play lots of online games and I wouldn't want to increase ping times more than they are already.

Don't be sorry BigT ...it has been asked but no one has been able to answer it with all certainty. Most people tend to think yes, but no one knows for sure by how much.

Carbon Unit
MVM
join:2001-07-21
Saint Charles, MO

Carbon Unit to fltelman

MVM

to fltelman
I read most of this post and did some research, Im on Uverse 24/3 which is all good, my problem is the high latency, for me anything over 50 is not good, especially when Im averaging about 80-100. but back when I had the slow sbc dsl a few years ago I would average about 15 - 25ms, so I doubt I would go back to adsl, but charters 100/5 is very tempting and I have seen some runs were they are getting nice 10-20 pings, the download speeds do nothing for me, its all about the upload and latency. might get a modem and do a self install and run it side by side to see how things pan out, the price is about the same, heck I might even fair better with the 30/4 plan if the pings are rock solid...
PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

PowerMac to fltelman

to fltelman
said by fakarooz :

Ok I've received word from the company that we are not going to announce the new speed tiers next thursday (jan. 26). Seems as if we were all ready for the announcement of the roll out, but apparently our bean counters say its not worth it right now to deploy the 60Meg profile. Basically at&t is not ready to invest in pair bonding for those on the current 25/32meg profiles. The iNID are pretty expensive and labor costs to change out customer equipment and install the iNID outweighs the profit potential of Uverse.

So it seems at&t is going to wait until next quarter to announce new speed tiers. What we are currently looking at right now is simply an upgrade to the 45Meg profile to anyone that has line statistics to support that tier. If you don't you're stuck on the lower 32meg / 25 meg profiles.

Im little confused on availability of 45 and 60mbps profiles. Is At&t is rolling out the new tier at 36mbps down / 6mbps up now? Or both new profiles will be available later in summer?

fakarooz
@sbcglobal.net

fakarooz

Anon

The planned 60meg profile has been scrapped due to management feeling the ROI on installing pair-bonded iNID on home that want the faster speeds is not sustainable at this time. The 45meg profile is currently in the works, but you will need a max sync rate of at least 56250 kbps to support in on a single pair. Pair bonding will not be deployed to customers who request the higher speeds (36/6). This theoretically limits it to customers 1000-1200ft from the VRAD depending on line conditions. The reason behind this is because at&t labs is currently working with alcatel-lucent to see how much VDSL2 line vector can clean up your signals and possibly increase your max. sync rates. Alcatel-lucent claims VDSL2 speed increases of 90-150%. We will be testing line vectoring in the field in about a year and hopefully deployed soon after that. Line vectoring seems to be the better way forward since hardware upgrades would only have to be done at the VRAD and a simple firmware update to your RGs should be about it. Vectoring as you might not know, uses a lot of processing power, so another hurdle maybe the hardware needed to retrofit the VRADs for vectoring can get expensive so it may take 1.5-2 years from now till anyone greater than 1200ft from the VRAD see any profile upgrades, not to mention our bean-counters high up in corporate will be analyzing the ROI for this. Most of you won't be seeing any type of Uverse upgrades (other than STB software/RG firmware) for at least 2 years as at&t is currently rolling out 4G LTE on our mobility side. No news/plans for FTTP customers =(.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

It makes no sense to not just go for fttp. But this at&t, when have they made sense?
StLCardsFan
Lafayette, LA

StLCardsFan to fakarooz

to fakarooz
wow ... really? ATT is a continual downward spiral. 1.5-2 years? Shit dood ..by then docis5 and the eoc over cable or whatever will be offered at well over 100mbit... 4g lte RIGHT NOW is faster than what most of att offers. I can't imagine being stuck at 24mbit or 18mbit for 2 years heh. I mean a new customer can get 100mbit x 5mbit from charter for 54.99 RIGHT NOW.

Is ATT hoping cable will just slow down advancements and let ATT catch up?

houkouonchi
join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi to fakarooz

to fakarooz
Oh well I guess uverse at my dad's place will be SoL then. His max sync rate 47-51k. I think I got it in the 52-53 range when I moved the gateway right down by the drop:

»uverse.houkouonchi.jp/2w ··· max.html

Are they going to be that strict on internet-only even? I guess he has a pretty good signal at his places considering I am pretty sure its 1700 ft from the VRAD.
Mumzy
join:2009-07-30
Olive Branch, MS

Mumzy to fakarooz

to fakarooz
said by fakarooz :

Pair bonding will not be deployed to customers who request the higher speeds (36/6).

Umm.. what if we are already on pair bonding?

TestBoy
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

TestBoy

Premium Member

said by Mumzy:

said by fakarooz :

Pair bonding will not be deployed to customers who request the higher speeds (36/6).

Umm.. what if we are already on pair bonding?

Same question as me.
Already had it for a year now.. are we stuck at 18?

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky to Mumzy

Premium Member

to Mumzy
Once again, AT&T is showing that they have no idea what the hell they are doing. Pandering to their completely stupid, brain dead, shortsighted investors. That's the only thing that I can think of when they keep doing stupid stuff like this.

The cable executives must be smiling right now.

AT&T... dead in two years. Why? Cable will continue to eat their lunch and smiling all the way to the bank.

This reminds me of a quote that some brain dead executive at AT&T once said. Someone asked him if he felt that cable was a threat to them. He said something along the lines of... "Cable is not a threat, they don't have mobile access." So, let me get this straight... just because cable doesn't have a quad-play bundle you don't consider them a threat? God, this guy is a brain dead fool!

The cable companies are already making rumblings of partnering up with Verizon Wireless to provide a quad-play bundle. When that happens... Look out AT&T! You're done!
trparky

trparky to fakarooz

Premium Member

to fakarooz
said by fakarooz :

This theoretically limits it to customers 1000-1200ft from the VRAD depending on line conditions.

This translates to about less than 15% of their combined customer numbers. You practically have to have the damn VRAD as your next door neighbor!
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin to fakarooz

to fakarooz
said by fakarooz :

The planned 60meg profile has been scrapped due to management feeling the ROI on installing pair-bonded iNID on home that want the faster speeds is not sustainable at this time.
Most of you won't be seeing any type of Uverse upgrades (other than STB software/RG firmware) for at least 2 years as at&t is currently rolling out 4G LTE on our mobility side. No news/plans for FTTP customers =(.

What baffles me is that Comcast by introducing DOCSIS3.0 back in October, 2008 opened a can of worms for uverse. »Comcast Launches DOCSIS 3.0 In New England [66] comments

It took Comcast only 3 years to go from 16 or 22Mbps to what they offer now, roughly 105Mbps and with plenty of room to grow.

When you say that it will take at least 2 years to see any movement in uverse internet speeds it amazes me the 'eternity' that 2 years mean within this time frame context. 3 years is all it took for Comcast to go from 16 to 105Mbps. When and if uverse gets upgraded to 36 or 45 Mbps where will Comcast and the rest of the cable industry for that matter be in 2 more years? 200, 300 Mbps, 1, 10Gbps?

»www.theregister.co.uk/20 ··· le_adsl/

»fibertothewhatever.com/w ··· ver-coax

I just can't understand why there are so many uverse subscribers when the competition in the form of DOCSIS3.0 is so much better.

Hate the cable companies all you want, rant all you want but get their better service.

TestBoy
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

TestBoy

Premium Member

said by etaadmin:

Hate the cable companies all you want, rant all you want but get their better service.

I think it depends on area.
In my area the incumbent cable co is Time Warner.
The reason we went to UVerse is because it was marginally cheaper and offered speeds that were faster.
TWC offered 10/384k here and I think they are up to 15/512k (note the crappy upstream caps)

I was content with what we had but the thing that pushed me over the edge was that between 6 and 11pm the speed would fall off so much that we were getting about 512k down and maybe 3k up.
No amount of complaining helped until I refused to get off the phone with a rep at TWC. That rep got so tired of me that she found someone that admitted to me that the neighborhood is oversubscribed and they were in the planning stages of a node split.

My neighbor had TWC and changed to UVerse 3 weeks ago and there still was high latency and slow speeds in the evenings which is why they changed.

Also note that in the Columbia, SC area they supposedly deployed their new DOCSIS 3 network yet it's still s--t slow in my area and oversubscribed as of 3 weeks ago.

Cable has it's flaws too and it's not all peachy when they oversubscribe, as it is in our case.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky to etaadmin

Premium Member

to etaadmin
AT&T is acting like they have no competition. They are completely oblivious to the fact that they have competition.
said by etaadmin:

When you say that it will take at least 2 years to see any movement in uverse internet speeds it amazes me the 'eternity' that 2 years mean within this time frame context.

Yep, it might as well be an eternity. What AT&T doesn't understand is that technology and the consumer market moves fast, it's not like in the old days in which the market moved at a snail's pace like it did in years past. AT&T continues to work with the mentality of years past.

Meanwhile, the cable companies know this and have been sinking money into their networks. Then again, it's not very expensive for cable companies to do these upgrades. DOCSIS 3.0 is relatively cheap to deploy. It virtually eliminates the need for node splits to alleviate node congestion because of the channel bonding. Need more bandwidth? Turn up two more DOCSIS channels and instant upgrade. A couple of config changes at the headend is all that's needed.

Cable is in the perfect place to be able to kill the telcos. They have the network capacity in their HFC network to be able to do quick and cheap upgrades without a lot of capital expenditures. The telcos don't have it that easy, they have to spend the money or risk falling behind because of their limited infrastructure. Twisted pair is very limited in what it can do unlike COAX because of the heavy shielding that COAX has.

David0417
Premium Member
join:2001-02-22
Clover, SC

David0417

Premium Member

Everything that has been posted is just rumor and speculation, there has been no confirmation from anyone officially at AT&T, we have to be patient, and wait for official word.

fakarooz
@sbcglobal.net

fakarooz to fltelman

Anon

to fltelman
The customers that currently have pair bonding are going to be stuck with the 25meg profile for sometime until vectoring is available. The reason why we can't upgrade the pair bonded customers even though they have very high sync rates is because you don't have the upload speeds to support the higher internet speeds. In order to support the 45meg profile, your max sync rate must be at least 56.25mbps down and 8mbps up. Most pair bonded installs can support the 56.25mbps down but can't support the 8mbps upstream necessary for the profile and that is why they are still limited to the 25/2profile.

Just fyi. I may or may not work for/with at&t. All information is subject to change and I'll try to keep everyone updated. Its against company policy to comment on unannounced services, so I use my local library's wifi to comment on this forum as an unregistered guest. I also work for / with a company called surewest. Surewest completed active FTTP in the Sacramento/Roseville region buildout in 2006. We use the same motorola receivers at&t does. All i can say is, as much as i want at&t to go all FTTP like surewest, I don't think it will happen anytime soon.
doubleohwhat
join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

doubleohwhat

Is AT&T going to stick hard to the 56.25mbps requirement for internet only customers? Surely they would at least try to be a bit more accommodating for business internet-only accounts due to the higher rates.
StLCardsFan
Lafayette, LA

StLCardsFan to fltelman

to fltelman
I dont think ATT knows what they want...and definitely don't know how to do it.

Im shocked no major shareholders have raised an eyebrow to cable wiping them up. The business isn't tv ... its internet stupid.

You can either compete with price or speed... which ATT can't on either level. I guess one could also compete on quality ...but yeah sorry you lose here too ATT.

What att CEO should do ... is tell everyone they are rapidly falling behind... the the point where re-investment in infrastructure is less expensive than losing customers to competition. the end.
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin to TestBoy

to TestBoy
said by TestBoy:

said by etaadmin:

My neighbor had TWC and changed to UVerse 3 weeks ago and there still was high latency and slow speeds in the evenings which is why they changed.

Also note that in the Columbia, SC area they supposedly deployed their new DOCSIS 3 network yet it's still s--t slow in my area and oversubscribed as of 3 weeks ago.

Cable has it's flaws too and it's not all peachy when they oversubscribe, as it is in our case.

»DOCSIS 3.0 Live In Ronda NC

NC now have docsis3.0, switch to TWC evaluate it and if it doesn't work for you switch back to UV, what do you have to loose?

BTW TWC doesn't have CAPS.
etaadmin

etaadmin to trparky

to trparky
Exactly,

While at&t plan ways to compete with cable Verizon find new ways to cooperate with them. This Verizon/Cable deal is bad news for at&t.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky to StLCardsFan

Premium Member

to StLCardsFan
said by StLCardsFan:

losing customers to competition. the end.

That's the problem, they don't think that they have competition.

I said it in a prior post that there some executive thinks that cable isn't a threat just because they don't offer quad-play. If that's not an example of someone with their head in the sand I don't know what is.

Forosnai
join:2011-09-30

Forosnai to StLCardsFan

to StLCardsFan
I don't see any harm in waxing about ATT's broadband development (our lack thereof), but the one thing that everyone in this thread seems to be skirting is the simple business model.
95+% of the people who actually use U verse don't have a clue. The current technology will more than meet their needs for many years to come. People with a need for better or different service will choose a different provider, and it won't hurt ATT because the Uverse saturation is still extremely low.
Fakarooz is dead on as far as the tech development goes. VDSL vectoring and or mobile broadband replacing/supplementing residential wireline are the only real developments that will increase bandwidth across the board.