djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to dslfan90

Premium Member

to dslfan90

Re: 45 MB internet service

I had TWC cable for internet prior to switching to U-verse internet. With TWC I had periodic outages. My U-verse internet has been rock solid. I have no desire to go back to TWC.

I had TWC internet prior to U-verse and it was rock solid in my area, so I went where the speeds were fastest on paper. So far, so good.

That said, I know things can go downhill, so I do appreciate having U-verse as an option to go back to should I need it.
nephipower
join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

nephipower to fltelman

to fltelman
I know this is a thread about 45 mbit service but I thought i would post here since there seem to be some people like fakarooz who are in the "circle of trust" and know things.

It has been a long time since AT&T has announced data caps but they haven't be implemented yet for Uverse. I am guessing they are having trouble being able to find a good way to distinguish internet traffic that is from the DVR, telephone, and user internet usage which is suppose to be limited to 250 GB per month.

Does anyone know any details on what the actual technical problems AT&T is running into?

If so, do you know if AT&T might actually abandon doing data caps because they can't figure out a good way to measure bandwidth usage for just the internet portion of the services?

I guess ultimately what i am wondering is, are the data caps ever actually going to be enforced?
WhyMe420
Premium Member
join:2009-04-06

WhyMe420

Premium Member

said by nephipower:

If so, do you know if AT&T might actually abandon doing data caps because they can't figure out a good way to measure bandwidth usage for just the internet portion of the services?

I guess ultimately what i am wondering is, are the data caps ever actually going to be enforced?

I don't claim to be in the "circle of trust" but I can guarantee you that AT&T won't abandon the potential cash cow that is data caps. Ultimately they will enforce the data caps just as as soon as they figure out how to implement them.
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin to nephipower

to nephipower
I don't think at&t is a company that cares if usage meters are off by this or that amount as long as they can charge customers more. Just look at their wireless products were customers get over charged even if they don't use their phones much. Some wireless customers get notices as low as 1GB so I assume that those usage meters are 'broken' too.

I think at&t announced the CAPS to give cable 'moral' support to push their own, its like saying; We already made the move now its time to make yours... go ahead jump into the precipice and we'll follow you later.

Since Comcast has already caps the salvo was aimed at TWC that once tried and because of public backlash failed in implementing them. TWC competes head to head with uverse in a quarter of its footprint and with faster internet speeds of 50Mbps and no caps their product is much more attractive than uverse.

My guess is that at&t will not enforce usage caps unless TWC (one of the most important competitor) implements them first. After last's year TWC's caps fiasco it is unlikely that TWC will jump into the precipice first.
nephipower
join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

nephipower

I think you guys are right that they will probably implement it sometime since it would be such a cash cow opportunity.

But you also make a very interesting point that it might not be in their best interest to introduce it with competitors like TWC. I am in San Antonio and TWC is the cable provider here and I will most certainly switch back over to them if AT&T starts enforcing their data caps.

It will be interesting to see if AT&T will only enforce it in certain markets if their competitor also has data caps too. So it is possible that Uverse in my area might not have data caps enforced since TWC doesn't have one and I could easily switch over and get much faster speeds that are not capped.
nephipower

nephipower to fltelman

to fltelman
fakarooz or anyone else have any updates on the faster internet packages?

If i remember right the last update talked about 40 mbit profile which I am guessing means 32 mbit download speed.

gdm
MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL

gdm

MVM

Hopefully they increase the upload as well. When I have large data to upload I connect to my Verizon 4G phone.

fakarooz
@sbcglobal.net

fakarooz to nephipower

Anon

to nephipower
Unfortunately I no longer work for at&t wireline. I'm in the process of being transferred to mobility. I no longer have access to information regarding U-Verse or any other at&t wireline business. at&t put me on a project on their mobility side in NorCal as a special project engineer. I will be helping provide crappy lte service for norcal soon! blame it all on me when your call drops and data speed is slow! ha ha. But I'll see if i can get some of myfriends still in wireline to help you out.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Crappy lte service? Could you comment on the difference between at&t and verizon lte?

Fakarooz
@sbcglobal.net

Fakarooz

Anon

I was simply kidding about our lte service. They are basically the same service, different frequencies. AT&T and Verizon have the same vendors for their lte equipment. I don't know but the company seems to be in some rush to get a lot of NorCal especially bay area, central valley and Sacramento regions lit up by October. Don't know much about other areas. Seems to me they just want everything half a***d so we can get maximum surface area covered by October. Still don't know why they like October so bad. I'll be back with uverse in a year or so. This project is only temporary
mhetterm
join:2001-11-01
Walnut Creek, CA

mhetterm

"Still don't know why they like October so bad"

Maybe the launch of a certain phone, finally supporting LTE, from a fruit company?
PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

PowerMac to fakarooz

to fakarooz
said by fakarooz But I'll see if i can get some of myfriends still in wireline to help you out.
[/BQUOTE :

Any upcoming news for Att Uverse?

ImpldConsent
Scouts Out
Premium Member
join:2001-03-04
North Port, FL

ImpldConsent to fltelman

Premium Member

to fltelman
Thread resurrect. -- been outa the loop for awhile here in Afghan, any updates on this rumor?
WhyMe420
Premium Member

WhyMe420

Premium Member

Pretty sure there is no "45 MB" internet service, nor are there any apparent plans by AT&T to make it available.
doubleohwhat
join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

doubleohwhat

According to a couple of different techs I've had working on line issues over the past month, they did actually put a couple of new profiles through trials but that was it. Neither of the techs had heard anything for a few months. The last tech I talked to just moved here from Atlanta where they supposedly did one of the trials. Who knows though. *shrug*

Either way it seems they definitely don't have any immediate plans to roll anything out. So at this point I'm working with a neighbor who's a Charter tech to get a line ran. I can get their 50/5 business plan for the same amount I'm paying AT&T for their 24/3 business plan.
WhyMe420
Premium Member

WhyMe420

Premium Member

50/5 business for same amount? Really? I have a feeling that there are bundles or special pricing involved... If not, hell I'll get Charter myself!

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

I wanna know this too...
doubleohwhat
Birmingham, AL

doubleohwhat to WhyMe420

to WhyMe420
Yeh, don't ever go by charters website for their business pricing if you're in a metro area. It varies wildly from area to area based on competition. My house is in a new development that is literally right off of business corridor serviced by a local company providing dirt cheap metro ethernet access. So in my area that has driven the price of charters business plans down a good bit. With no static IPs, only one dynamic IP and not leasing a modem I can get the 50/5 plan for $110. I'm paying AT&T $109 for the 24/3 plan now. Kind of a no brainer. Although, to be honest, I'd happily pay the full price of $175 listed on their site if I had too.

The only catch is that Charter doesn't plan on running lines in my neighborhood until the end of the year. We're trying to get them to run one to the first couple of houses (*cough* mine *cough*) sooner.

Anyway, if you're interested I'd definitely give them a call and see what they can do for you. A friend in another part of town got their 30/4 plan for $112 by only getting one dynamic IP (3 are built into their advertised price) and using his own modem.

Edit: I realize all that sounded like an ad for charter. Sorry about that. For most folks AT&Ts 24/3 plan will do just fine. I just sorely need the upload.

Forosnai
join:2011-09-30

Forosnai

24Mbps plan is $63 a month with no discount/promotions. Even if your leasing a modem at $6 a month, that's no where near $109.
Your paying $109 for 24Mbps + some extra services which you fail to note.
WhyMe420
Premium Member

WhyMe420 to doubleohwhat

Premium Member

to doubleohwhat
Umm yeah think I'll stick with 24/3 and no modem rental fee for $65 a month... You got my hopes up though... Not sure why the 24/3 costs you $109... Sounds like bundling to me...

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

YOu could try calling them?
doubleohwhat
Birmingham, AL

doubleohwhat

Nope. No bundling here. All I have is the 24/3 business plan.

Anyway, I'm not going to argue with you guys

moancebi
@sbcglobal.net

moancebi to WhyMe420

Anon

to WhyMe420
No new news. The offering for the 36/6 plan is now scrapped and the major consensus is the company doesn't want to spend anymore money on the plant.

On the bright side, at&t is planning a huge coverage increase of its 4G LTE network by September called "Project Blitzkrieg". Cell site upgrade have just started this month, so if you see some cherry pickers around an at&t owned/leased tower, they are probably installing LTE.
PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

PowerMac

The cheapass AT&T:
Your World....... Not Delivered.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Anyone in any at&t area that can get other service should. Esp. if it's faster and cheaper. Make at&t lose money on this uverse gamble.
WhyMe420
Premium Member

WhyMe420 to fltelman

Premium Member

to fltelman
As long as U-verse remains uncapped, I'm not going anywhere.

DPain
Premium Member
join:2004-02-19

DPain

Premium Member

said by WhyMe420:

As long as U-verse remains uncapped, I'm not going anywhere.

thought uverse had a 250gig/month cap? I just signed up last week, and service has been great so far(18/1.5). Loving the ping I get to a regular server I play on, previously with comcast it was 40ms to a Los Angeles server and now with uverse pingin 12ms Though my situation may vary from others I have FTTP and having no problems with youtube,hulu plus on my ps3 it streams at 3.2Mb/sec HD quality with no pixelation.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

At&t is too incompetent to get caps working on uverse. Seriously, they can't figure out how too. If they do they'll have caps the moment they do.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to doubleohwhat

Premium Member

to doubleohwhat
said by doubleohwhat:

Nope. No bundling here. All I have is the 24/3 business plan.

There might be a difference in price between the business plan, and residential plans.
doubleohwhat
Birmingham, AL

doubleohwhat

You could say that

»smallbusiness.bellsouth. ··· tml#tab2

Toss on one static IP at $5/month and local fees and you get the $109.