antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

1 edit

antdude

Premium Member

Is anyone having problems with smtpauth.earthlink.net:25?

Hello EarthLinkers/ELNers!

Are you guys having problems sending e-mails on smtpauth.earthlink.net port 25 (STARTTLS) these days? It started a few weeks ago. Once in a while, my SeaMonkey v2.0.14's e-mail client will hang and time out in sending e-mails. Resending them will always work. I'd say one out of ten times, it hangs and times out. »support.earthlink.net/co ··· ages.php doesn't report this problem.

Thank you in advance.

starreem
Premium Member
join:2000-12-22
Raleigh, NC

starreem

Premium Member

I think you should be using port 587

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by starreem:

I think you should be using port 587

OK, let me try that (sent a test e-mail and that worked). What is special about 587? Less used since port 25 is used by a lot of people?

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

1 edit

DrStrange to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
Earthlink switched from SMTP on port 25 to SMTPAUTH on port 587 a long time ago.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Return-Path:
Received: from massmail01.mail.pas.earthlink.net ([207.217.120.250]) by strange.mail.mindspring.net (EarthLink SMTP Server) with ESMTP id 1fOQ4bYH3Nl3oW0 for ; Fri, 9 Jun 2006 19:06:59 -0400 (EDT)
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Reply-To: EarthLink Support
Subject: FINAL NOTICE: Update Your Email Settings
X-Mercury-CMT-ID: XXXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXX
Message-Id:
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 19:06:59 -0400 (EDT)
X-ELNK-SYS: 1
X-ELNK-Info: sbv=2; sbrc=-0; sbf=00; sbw=110;

Dear EarthLink Subscriber,

We're improving our network security to help us keep spammers from using our network to send you junk email. As a result of this security upgrade, you MUST update your email settings before July 6th, 2006, or you will no longer be able to send email.

Please follow the instructions below immediately.

UPDATE YOUR EMAIL SETTINGS
There are three ways you can update your settings -- each requires that you enter your EarthLink email address and password. If you've forgotten your password and need to reset it, just visit:
»www.earthlink.net/password

1. Use the EarthLink Email Update Wizard to make all of the changes for you:
»www.earthlink.net/go/elink_emailsettings

2. Install the latest version of EarthLink's free TotalAccess software, which will automatically use the correct settings. You can download the latest version or order a free CD copy at:
»www.earthlink.net/software

3. Manually update your settings using the step-by-step
instructions at:
»www.earthlink.net/go/emailsettings

NEED HELP?
If you need further assistance updating your email settings, or have other questions, you'll find step-by-step instructions at your Support Center:
»support.earthlink.net

Once there, you can also trade real-time messages with a friendly Live Chat representative:
»support.earthlink.net/chat

Or call 1-888-EARTHLINK.

For your protection, please do not email your password or other sensitive information.

Sincerely,

EarthLink Support

This is an Administrative Message from EarthLink. It is
not spam. From time to time, EarthLink will send you such
messages in order to communicate important information about
your subscription.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

»support.earthlink.net/ar ··· -faq.php

»EarthLink DSL FAQ »Trouble Sending Mail? - Earthlink SMTP Servers

»EarthLink DSL FAQ »How to set up ASMTP (Authenticated SMTP).

That said, Earthlink's outbound mailservers are occasionally a bit flaky. On several occasions in the past month, I've had to cancel and re-send mail. There was an issue like this two or three years ago and it was eventually resolved. I wonder if it's time for Earthlink to do whatever it was that they did then, again.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

Interesting. How come I was able to send 90% of the times on port 25 if EarthLink requires 587? Before a few weeks ago, 99%. FYI, I forgot to mention that I am on TWC RR's network. I do have ELN's $9.95 dial-up package

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
Bristol, CT

DrStrange

Premium Member

Back in 2006, they said they'd be phasing out SMTP on port 25. Maybe it just took them 5 years to do it.
DrStrange

DrStrange to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
AHA!

If you're on Earthlink via Time-Warner cable, TWC could have handed out new IPs and Eartrhlink isn't recognizing them as their own and blocking access to port 25 [Earthlink blocks access to port 25 from outside its network]. If that's the issue, you'll have to remind Earthlink to add the new IP block to its permit list for port 25, or just use SMTPAUTH on port 587 and skip talking to India.

EDIT: If your broadband ISP is TWC, port 25 shouldn't have worked at all. Use SMTPAUTH on port 587 from outside Earthlink.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by DrStrange:

AHA!

If you're on Earthlink via Time-Warner cable, TWC could have handed out new IPs and Eartrhlink isn't recognizing them as their own and blocking access to port 25 [Earthlink blocks access to port 25 from outside its network]. If that's the issue, you'll have to remind Earthlink to add the new IP block to its permit list for port 25, or just use SMTPAUTH on port 587 and skip talking to India.

I have had this IP address since 8/5/2010. Hmm, maybe ELN is finally phasing port 25 out. I will use 587 port since it seems to work so far. I will follow up if not.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
Bristol, CT

DrStrange

Premium Member

Just to alleviate confusion:
Do you have Earthlink cable via TWC or straight TWC?

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by DrStrange:

Just to alleviate confusion:
Do you have Earthlink cable via TWC or straight TWC?

Straight. Basically, I use my ELN dial-up account to send/receive e-mails on it and other non-EL networks.

I also noticed something else. Sending can be slow like twenty/20 second long.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
Bristol, CT

DrStrange

Premium Member

The sending issue is the problem I mentioned.

If you have straight-up TWC, smtp.earthlink.net on port 25 shouldn't work.

ADDENDUM: At least it's not supposed to work. I just checked smtp.earthlink.net on 25 on my non-Earthlink Covad connection [my ISP is Sunset Net; I have Earthlink Premium Mail to preserve my Earthlink and Mindspring e-mail addresses] and I was able to connect. Getting confused all over again...

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by DrStrange:

The sending issue is the problem I mentioned.

If you have straight-up TWC, smtp.earthlink.net on port 25 shouldn't work.

ADDENDUM: At least it's not supposed to work. I just checked smtp.earthlink.net on 25 on my non-Earthlink Covad connection [my ISP is Sunset Net; I have Earthlink Premium Mail to preserve my Earthlink and Mindspring e-mail addresses] and I was able to connect. Getting confused all over again...

Heh.
antdude

antdude

Premium Member

It failed again just now on port 587 with STARTTLS.
antdude

antdude

Premium Member

said by antdude:

And again the last two nights.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by antdude:

said by antdude:

I bet the Round Robin DNS that EL uses is hitting a bad server and you might try setting your HOSTS to use just one IP to see if you can find one server that isn't flakey.
quote:
Host info smtpauth.earthlink.net

Official name: smtpauth.earthlink.net
IP address: 207.69.189.201

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by Doctor Olds:

said by antdude:

said by antdude:

I bet the Round Robin DNS that EL uses is hitting a bad server and you might try setting your HOSTS to use just one IP to see if you can find one server that isn't flakey.
quote:
Host info smtpauth.earthlink.net

Official name: smtpauth.earthlink.net
IP address: 207.69.189.201

Hmm, I am using OpenDNS though.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

1 recommendation

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by antdude:

That's not a factor.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ro ··· obin_DNS
quote:
Although easy to implement, round robin DNS has problematic drawbacks, such as those arising from record caching in the DNS hierarchy itself, as well as client-side address caching and reuse, the combination of which can be difficult to manage. Round robin DNS should not solely be relied upon for service availability. If a service at one of the addresses in the list fails, the DNS will continue to hand out that address and clients will still attempt to reach the inoperable service.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by Doctor Olds:

said by antdude:

That's not a factor.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ro ··· obin_DNS
quote:
Although easy to implement, round robin DNS has problematic drawbacks, such as those arising from record caching in the DNS hierarchy itself, as well as client-side address caching and reuse, the combination of which can be difficult to manage. Round robin DNS should not solely be relied upon for service availability. If a service at one of the addresses in the list fails, the DNS will continue to hand out that address and clients will still attempt to reach the inoperable service.

Ah, interesting and thanks.