Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

1 edit

DrStrange to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude

Re: Is anyone having problems with smtpauth.earthlink.net:25?

Earthlink switched from SMTP on port 25 to SMTPAUTH on port 587 a long time ago.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Return-Path:
Received: from massmail01.mail.pas.earthlink.net ([207.217.120.250]) by strange.mail.mindspring.net (EarthLink SMTP Server) with ESMTP id 1fOQ4bYH3Nl3oW0 for ; Fri, 9 Jun 2006 19:06:59 -0400 (EDT)
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Reply-To: EarthLink Support
Subject: FINAL NOTICE: Update Your Email Settings
X-Mercury-CMT-ID: XXXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXX
Message-Id:
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 19:06:59 -0400 (EDT)
X-ELNK-SYS: 1
X-ELNK-Info: sbv=2; sbrc=-0; sbf=00; sbw=110;

Dear EarthLink Subscriber,

We're improving our network security to help us keep spammers from using our network to send you junk email. As a result of this security upgrade, you MUST update your email settings before July 6th, 2006, or you will no longer be able to send email.

Please follow the instructions below immediately.

UPDATE YOUR EMAIL SETTINGS
There are three ways you can update your settings -- each requires that you enter your EarthLink email address and password. If you've forgotten your password and need to reset it, just visit:
»www.earthlink.net/password

1. Use the EarthLink Email Update Wizard to make all of the changes for you:
»www.earthlink.net/go/elink_emailsettings

2. Install the latest version of EarthLink's free TotalAccess software, which will automatically use the correct settings. You can download the latest version or order a free CD copy at:
»www.earthlink.net/software

3. Manually update your settings using the step-by-step
instructions at:
»www.earthlink.net/go/emailsettings

NEED HELP?
If you need further assistance updating your email settings, or have other questions, you'll find step-by-step instructions at your Support Center:
»support.earthlink.net

Once there, you can also trade real-time messages with a friendly Live Chat representative:
»support.earthlink.net/chat

Or call 1-888-EARTHLINK.

For your protection, please do not email your password or other sensitive information.

Sincerely,

EarthLink Support

This is an Administrative Message from EarthLink. It is
not spam. From time to time, EarthLink will send you such
messages in order to communicate important information about
your subscription.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

»support.earthlink.net/ar ··· -faq.php

»EarthLink DSL FAQ »Trouble Sending Mail? - Earthlink SMTP Servers

»EarthLink DSL FAQ »How to set up ASMTP (Authenticated SMTP).

That said, Earthlink's outbound mailservers are occasionally a bit flaky. On several occasions in the past month, I've had to cancel and re-send mail. There was an issue like this two or three years ago and it was eventually resolved. I wonder if it's time for Earthlink to do whatever it was that they did then, again.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

Interesting. How come I was able to send 90% of the times on port 25 if EarthLink requires 587? Before a few weeks ago, 99%. FYI, I forgot to mention that I am on TWC RR's network. I do have ELN's $9.95 dial-up package

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

DrStrange

Premium Member

Back in 2006, they said they'd be phasing out SMTP on port 25. Maybe it just took them 5 years to do it.