Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JohnW

join:2011-03-13
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

[VA] DNS..

Hi.. got a curious question. I use OpenDNS for resolution ever since having Cox internet in Roanoke Va. I get a consistent avg ping of 15ms either speedtest.net or pingtest.net. not bad at all but what is the cox DNS servers in roanoke or in virginia?? I was thinking of testing it.
I hear OpenDNS is the way to go.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
said by JohnW:

Hi.. got a curious question. I use OpenDNS for resolution ever since having Cox internet in Roanoke Va. I get a consistent avg ping of 15ms either speedtest.net or pingtest.net. not bad at all but what is the cox DNS servers in roanoke or in virginia?? I was thinking of testing it.
I hear OpenDNS is the way to go.

Actually 4.2.2.1 / 4.2.2.2 is the way to go[unless you enjoy opendns's redirects]
--
Oh YES! let me drop everything i'm doing regardless of who it affects to deal with your petty little problem!

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to JohnW
changing DNS will only impact how fast the server will resolve the web address you type in and display the page. you ping like on a speed test or gaming will not be effected by changing dns as ping is more related to routing,distance and the computers at both ends

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3
reply to dvd536
Is there any reason you prefer Level3/Verizon to Google's DNS? They both use Anycast, but I personally find Google is on the ball with tracking down and resolve the odd DNS issue. I also ran name bench and got a little better performance out of Google DNS, but I imagine everyone's experience is different.

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:79
reply to JohnW
Keep in mind that DNS only affects name resolution, not ping times to a particular host. Certain DNS providers may have an advantage with regards to how long it takes to resolve a hostname however once name resolution is complete DNS is no longer a factor in terms to the path to a given host.

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI
Well if one DNS is returning a IP that is further away then the resolution from a different DNS, then it can effect distance. Also, I find it can effect the time it takes match making to finish and other jobs where the client is sending lots of DNS request over a short amount of time. Overall your right ofcourse, it is no magic bullet. I do see it as a small piece of the puzzle though. JMHO

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:79
Larger online services such as your Yahoo, Google, YouTube, etc. do indeed have servers distributed across many geographies. In these scenarios DNS servers are typically configured to return resolve the closest peer geographically to ensure the fastest response time. Using alternative DNS providers can sometimes undermind this effort.

basit

join:2003-11-25
Portsmouth, VA
reply to JohnW
Is using Google's DNS servers 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 a good choice over the regular Cox DNS servers?

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI
reply to CoxTech1
Well I will refer to your better judgement, but I personally have wonderful experiences, both streaming (Youtube,Netflix, Hulu, etc) and gaming (PSN,XBL and Battlenet) using Cox US as my primary DNS and 8.8.8.8 as my secondary. These were the suggestions after using Namebench, a free DNS scanning tool put out by Google. I highly suggest it if people are curious what DNS would work best for them.

stanley_qaz
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Gilbert, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to JohnW
Testing your options with Namebench is the place to start, you might also consider putting in a local caching DNS server.

My local DNS has a ping time of 0.510 ms so for cached things it is pretty good. I have it checking OpenDNS where I have a few things blocked.

OpenDNS isn't a bad provider and many of the things they offer can be of value to someone wanting a bit of filtering done at the DNS level. Not foolproof by any means but good enough to provide a bit of a deterrent for folks thinking of visiting sites you have blacklisted. The typo protection is also handy if you type URLs as badly as I do. The free service is enough for many, their paid plans offer more options at a decent price.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to Optimus2357
said by Optimus2357:

Is there any reason you prefer Level3/Verizon to Google's DNS?

Seems to be laggier[for me]
--
Oh YES! let me drop everything i'm doing regardless of who it affects to deal with your petty little problem!

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to basit
said by basit:

Is using Google's DNS servers 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 a good choice over the regular Cox DNS servers?

ANYTHING is better over cox dns.
many times 1 of 5 "page cannot be displayed" issue and slow youtube can be averted by not using cox dns.
--

basit

join:2003-11-25
Portsmouth, VA
reply to JohnW
The biggest thing I noticed using Google DNS is youtube is a lot faster.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
said by basit:

The biggest thing I noticed using Google DNS is youtube is a lot faster.

Expected: considering google owns youtube and its server farm
--

AJ_Z0

join:2009-05-12
Vienna, VA
reply to JohnW
OpenDNS, Google and several other providers work with various content distribution networks (CDN) to point you to the nearest hosted web content, which is one reason why you may see faster web conetent if you use their DNS resolvers.

See »www.afasterinternet.com for details.

If you create a (free) OpenDNS account and associate your IP then you can configure how the service works, including turning off the suggestion/typo correction/protection/interception/... feature.

JohnW

join:2011-03-13
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
thanks for the feedback all. Seems OpenDNS works best for me even better than google's DNS. The reason I brought this up when I had verizon DSL (which I will never have again lol) I used their DNS servers from northern va got great results using it.. even better than using my city's DNS. as a former DSL technician (support) I have found manually plugging in DNS makes the connection more stable than say auto detect DNS.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to AJ_Z0
said by AJ_Z0:

If you create a (free) OpenDNS account and associate your IP then you can configure how the service works, including turning off the suggestion/typo correction/protection/interception/... feature.

Lets see: 4.2.2.1 or jump through opendns hoops to get what 4.2.2.1 gives you out the door no hoops required. thanks but no thanks.
--

stanley_qaz
Premium
Gilbert, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·HughesNet Satell..
But if you want some of the OpenDNS features you can't turn them on with 4.2.1.1 since it doesn't offer them. Me I want the services that OpenDNS provides.

Read their information and see if you like their service and options or you just want a naked DNS and use whatever floats your boat.

This free service meets my needs: »www.opendns.com/home/basic/

More features, no ads but not free: »www.opendns.com/home/vip/

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
I just want "clean dns"!

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1
said by dvd536:

I just want "clean dns"!

roll your own.

q.

stanley_qaz
Premium
Gilbert, AZ
Easy to do for a very basic DNS setup but how do you get it to add features like Geo-tagging and such so you are always given the closest content server's IP?

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1
said by stanley_qaz:

Easy to do for a very basic DNS setup but how do you get it to add features like Geo-tagging and such so you are always given the closest content server's IP?

i've not noticed much of an issue.
using ms-dns on my primary domain controller -- i point to root servers for lookup, all of which are anycast within the us. from there -- the entry is cached for future lookup. aside from things that are cdn-hosted (netflix, youtube, facebook, etc) my lookups are pretty static.

additionally, most of the newer cdn hosting systems that are being used will look at the geo-location of the ip address performing the request, and not just respond based on the location of the dns request from the server. this way -- if you're hitting suboptimal location, it will redirect your request outbound to the correct datacenter/cdn location.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."