spc
Search similar:

uniqs
djrobsd
join:2002-01-24
San Diego, CA

djrobsd

Deceptive graph

This graph is VERY deceptive. First of all, due to hard economic times, not every customer on each provider's network is going to opt for a higher speed package. For example, on Cox, their default when you go for the triple play $75 a month special that they have (cable-phone-internet) is 3mbps.... So naturally, if most Cox customers are on that 3mbps tier, it's going to skew the results of this graph.

Same goes for AT&T U-Verse, or any other provider... Verizon's numbers are higher because the minimum package they offer on their FIOS is 15mbps.

BTW, speaking of that "minimum" package of 15mbps, when I was in New York City visiting a friend who had FIOS, download speeds never came any where near close to that, and netflix had buffering issues... So Verizon is better? Maybe in some markets, but definitely not in Manhattan. LOL

runzero
join:2005-09-16
DC

runzero

So? Netflix streams at low bitrates anyway, so the people using 3 Mbps are not going to affect the results too differently than those running FiOS 15 Mbps.

And another note about FiOS: While their customer service absolutely sucks, the service itself is fantastic. They over-provision you by about 20%, so 15 is actually 18, 25 is 30, and 35 is 42. I don't know what's wrong with your friend's connection, but Verizon should be pretty damn good in NYC everywhere even during rush hour. I'm surprised you haven't talked smack about U-verse considering you live in San Diego; AT&T truly is garbage.