spc
uniqs
The Q
join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

The Q to Jefferson

to Jefferson

Re: Weekly Testing on Cablebox is everyday

Do you mean EAS testing? (Emergency Alert Testing?) If yes, the weekly tests are federally mandated by the FCC. Everyday would be unusual and yes annoying (and not required).

Actual EAS Alerts and messages are initiated by local, state and federal authorities and required to be passed along.

Jefferson
@comcast.net

Jefferson

Anon

Yes it is weekly tests that actually happen on mon tue wed. Sometimes as much as 8 times in one day.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

said by Jefferson :

Yes it is weekly tests that actually happen on mon tue wed. Sometimes as much as 8 times in one day.

if you are having trouble with recieving too many alerts from one source such as your cable provider you should speak with them and let them know there is a problem. This article should help explain things. »www.9wsyr.com/content/ne ··· rss=1420

Kimmie
@aol.com

Kimmie

Anon

It's almost 4 am & there have been 5 of these in the last 40 minutes or so...FIVE of them! I've been noticing this the last few nights. They come one after the other. It's very annoying. Looks like we'll need to call Comcast.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I know that Comcast has been doing alot of testing in various areas the past few days because we are testing new equipment ahead of the November 9th test. You can't really fault us because we ARE doing it in the middle of the night when most people are sleeping, Its not like its being done during primetime. Anyway I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

I know that Comcast has been doing alot of testing in various areas the past few days because we are testing new equipment ahead of the November 9th test. You can't really fault us because we ARE doing it in the middle of the night when most people are sleeping, Its not like its being done during primetime. Anyway I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Doing it in the middle of the night is one thing, but during prime time is another.

Here in Atlanta, during Project Runway Thursday night; I counted 13 times that Comcast ran the EAS test. 13 times! That is total BS.
keo eke
Razorback
Premium Member
join:2002-11-20
Georgia

keo eke

Premium Member

What County Guru? Atlanta testing has been 2 am to 6 am.

dot_null
Premium Member
join:2004-06-28
Kennesaw, GA

dot_null

Premium Member

I am in NW Cobb (the Kennesaw/Acworth area, specifically) and have seen the EAS tests multiple times in the early morning hours, 2-6 AM sounds about right. Family members have complained that some of their recordings (usually repeats of programs which aired in primetime but for which there were not enough free tuner slots on the TiVo at the time) have been interrupted by the multiple EAS break-ins.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

ah time sifting. arlght here is what you do, to into the tivo menu and go into settings then standby. use that standby mode, it will allow you to record your shows uninterrupted and it will ignore the EAS.

dot_null
Premium Member
join:2004-06-28
Kennesaw, GA

dot_null

Premium Member

Hmm, very interesting. Thanks Mike Wolf See Profile! Despite perusing a few TiVo forums the past year I somehow missed this little trick. Very cool... I had no clue!

GuruGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy to keo eke

Premium Member

to keo eke
said by keo eke:

What County Guru? Atlanta testing has been 2 am to 6 am.

Fulton County. I have it on Tivo from 9pm-1030pm....recorded proof that it happened during the hours I stated and 13 times.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to dot_null

to dot_null
no problem I learned it on »www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf to GuruGuy

to GuruGuy
youtube it?

Comcrap ATL
@comcast.net

Comcrap ATL to GuruGuy

Anon

to GuruGuy
I'm in the Atlanta area as well and I have been subjected to he massive amounts of EAS. And they have been testing this outside that window. 1am on October 31 She first screech began and kept at it all night long. Not everyone has the luxury of working normal hours, but to fully black out and interrupt a broadcast instead of just screeching and using a news ticker tape at the bottom of the screen is ridiculous! Also what good is EAS when my physical address does not match the guide listings. I get Tornado alerts for Bartow county but I live in North Fulton so to me that is a FAIL anyway. It has become so excessive that no one is paying attention to them anymore because its like crying wolf. I bet that in another 23 iminutes (1am) I will get my 1st of many weekly/monthly tests tonight. Radio Stations don't test this often, Broadcast TV doesn't either. As a matter of fact At&T hasn't been going berserk with tests alerts either and lucky Satellite dish owners aren't subjected to EAS at all. This is a Comcast thing, at least in the ATL area so its a huge problem for the subscribers. The FCC does have a complaint for excessive EAS testing, I've already reported on the website this weekend.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

2 edits

Mike Wolf

yes I remember your complaint, however this testing was already authorized by the FCC. With the implementation of IPAWS in the near future the EAS alerts will be more relevant to your location so you will only see alerts that are for your location. Also new technology is being implemented that will use a banner across the screen instead of a forced tune event which is what your describing when you see these alerts. I detailed the differences in »Nationwide EAS Test 11/9 2:00 PM EST
You are incorrect that sat users dont receive EAS alerts, when as of 2007 they are required to by FCC regulations or else they have their broadcast license pulled and well essentially go out of business overnight, this goes for all providers. Your welcome to search youtube for their tests. As I've stated here »Nationwide EAS Test 11/9 2:00 PM EST and here »constant eas messages Comcast is doing authorized testing for preparation of the national test November 9th at 2pm for a period of 3 minutes. This same issue occurred last Tuesday in New Jersey as well as in Florida, and has occurred in other parts of the country as well. I understand your frustrations and can simply tell you it wont be an everlasting issue. All I can say is I apologize for the inconvenience this has been to you.

»www.9wsyr.com/content/ne ··· rss=1420

Newsjunkie21
join:2011-04-19
Brick, NJ

Newsjunkie21

Apparently, there was some EAS testing on the Brick system around 5:30 this morning. That's according to my mom.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

yes they did testing in my area as well only this time they screwed something up and caused my equipment to force tune to channel 3, display EAS on the front panel and freeze up, and there wasnt even any notification, just QVC and the inability to respond to change channels or respond to remote commands. same thing happend to my Moxi.