Search similar:

uniqs
Russ6
join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX

2 edits

Russ6

[STB] Deployment of Software Patch for SA/Cisco S25 Guide

The Software Patch for the new Comcast SA/Cisco Guide S25 is starting to be deployed in the Houston/Galveston area based on the set-top box type. The patch addresses the following issues:
1) Truncated DVR Recordings
2) Not Authorized Message
3) Allows Pass Through

For more information about the patch click the following link to the post in Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog:

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· nt-40922
Donfish
York Pa.
join:2009-07-15
York, PA

Donfish

...3) Allows Pass Through...

I hope this gets to York Pa. soon. Thanks for posting this.
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

The current schedule for deployment of the Software Patch is by the end of the year for most SA/Cisco markets, but Comcast has failed to make most of its schedules.
lynxexp
join:2010-08-17

lynxexp to Donfish

to Donfish
said by Donfish:

December.
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

The RNG 200 & 200N cable boxes in the Houston and Galveston area are scheduled to get the software patch on Monday morning, October 24, 2011.

ctgreybeard
Old dogs can learn new tricks
Premium Member
join:2001-11-13
Bethel, CT

ctgreybeard

Premium Member

Any idea what the schedule is for Danbury, CT? I've been getting periodic "Not authorized" messages on my RNG200 lately. I used to have an SA8000HD but traded it in to get true HDMI output. So far I like it except for the occasional errors.
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

CT and MS were supposed to be first, but that was changed to Houston/Galveston. The deployment in Houston/Galveston should be complete by the end of October. According to Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog:

"We should have a deployment schedule for CT and MS (and other areas) soon and will add that information here as soon as it is confirmed."

Here is a link to his blog:

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· xes.html
Russ6

2 edits

Russ6

The Scientific Atlanta (SA) 8000 and SA 8300 cable boxes in the Houston and Galveston area are scheduled to get the software patch on Tuesday morning, October 25, 2011. Note: The software patch starting downloading at 2:35 am Tuesday morning on my SA 8300 HD DVRs. The download and reboot process took 10-15 minutes.
Russ6

Russ6

The Cisco RNG 100 cable boxes in the Houston and Galveston area are scheduled to get the software patch on Wednesday morning, October 26, 2011.

brhalltx
Premium Member
join:2002-12-09
Cypress, TX

brhalltx to Russ6

Premium Member

to Russ6
What are your software and firmware versions? (Comcast's last upgrade didn't go well on either of my SA8300HDs; I'm wondering if I have received the update yet.)
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

said by brhalltx:

What are your software and firmware versions? (Comcast's last upgrade didn't go well on either of my SA8300HDs; I'm wondering if I have received the update yet.)

The new version is
FLASH: S25p3.1109.r-27 8300
App(s): SCI VODMOD v0621P
S25 v3.0.25

The previous version was
FLASH: S25p2-7.1101.r-54 8300

Note: I didn't record the previous App(s)

I haven't yet tested if the truncated recordings issue is fixed.

brhalltx
Premium Member
Cypress, TX

brhalltx

Premium Member

Thanks; both of my boxes have same versions. Here are the versions (and dates) from screen #19:

ROM Image 1.0.0.136 08/25/11
OS 6.26.17.1 02/05/10
iGuide App 99.88.0.0 08/25/11
APL 3.0.25.0 08/25/11
PHAL3 Driver 2.0.13.3 02/05/10
firebus 1.9.12.1 06/07/05
fbdtcp 1.3.4.1 05/04/05
HAL Driver 2.0.13.3 02/05/10
PowerKEY LIB 3.9.12.6 02/05/10
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

Comcast's Ted Hodgins announced the next areas to get the software patch:

1) Houston/Galveston Texas: remaining cable boxes
Thursday morning - October 27, 2011

2) Areas in Louisiana & Mississippi
Thursday morning - November 3, 2011

Click the following link for the specific box types in Texas or specific areas in Louisiana & Mississippi:

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· nt-40972
Russ6

Russ6 to brhalltx

to brhalltx
said by brhalltx:

Thanks; both of my boxes have same versions. Here are the versions (and dates) from screen #19:

ROM Image 1.0.0.136 08/25/11
OS 6.26.17.1 02/05/10
iGuide App 99.88.0.0 08/25/11
APL 3.0.25.0 08/25/11
PHAL3 Driver 2.0.13.3 02/05/10
firebus 1.9.12.1 06/07/05
fbdtcp 1.3.4.1 05/04/05
HAL Driver 2.0.13.3 02/05/10
PowerKEY LIB 3.9.12.6 02/05/10

I have the same versions and dates.
Russ6

Russ6 to brhalltx

to brhalltx
said by brhalltx:

If you are still having problems, try doing a hard reboot by holding down the power button and unplugging and plugging the DVR back in. Release the power button when you see the boot screen. If the software needs to reload this procedure should do it.

brhalltx
Premium Member
Cypress, TX

brhalltx

Premium Member

So far, no problems; I did do some things while recording last night that should have invoked the recording truncation problem, but doesn't seem to have.
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

said by brhalltx:

So far, no problems; I did do some things while recording last night that should have invoked the recording truncation problem, but doesn't seem to have.

+1

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to Russ6

to Russ6
truncated recording? not sure what that means, and pass through of what? I've noticed that if I change from one channel to another the video would blank out, but only once in a while, and I've only noticed the "not authorized" message once on my RNG200N, its occurred more on my Moxi with the cablecard so maybe its an issue with the cablecard configurations?
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

said by Mike Wolf:

truncated recording? not sure what that means, and pass through of what? I've noticed that if I change from one channel to another the video would blank out, but only once in a while, and I've only noticed the "not authorized" message once on my RNG200N, its occurred more on my Moxi with the cablecard so maybe its an issue with the cablecard configurations?

Some of the DVR recordings would end early or be significantly cut off. If I started watching a prerecorded show when I had two shows recording, one of the shows being recorded would have the recording end early. The only way to know a recording is truncated is to watch it. For instance, a 60 minute show may only play for 15 minutes.

Pass through allows the signal to be output in the same resolution (720p or 1080i) that it was recorded in without the user having to switch resolutions.

Some customers may have seen a Not Authorized overlay occasionally on authorized HD channels that they are in fact authorized to watch. These Not Authorized incidences have been dramatically reduced. The Not Authorized overlay can show up on the SA 8300 HD DVR, which doesn't use cable cards. It doesn't happen as much as it does on the RNG 200 box that does use cable cards.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

whats going on with the programs not going into folders when more then one episode of the same series is recorded? like for example i have three seasons of Dexter recorded and they're not in a folder, even though the DVR Folder option is enabled.
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf to Russ6

to Russ6
hmm never saw it on the 8300, and I mainly always use the Moxi for my primary viewing. Would be cool to find out what exactly the firmware update did from last year besides rename the Scientific Atlanta cablecard "Cisco". Here's the info from the diagnostics page.

Bldr Ver: 124
OS Ver: PKEY1.5.2_F.p.2401
Build Time June 25th, 2010

and what Unambiguous EAS means in the iGuide configuration pages, and why its set to "no". I found this but it doesn't help alot. »EAS Alert messages take over DVR during plaback. since it describes it as message box. I'm not sure what that means but if you saw that youtube video I posted »Re: Nationwide EAS Test 11/9 2:00 PM EST thats what I see. Strangely the front of my equipment doesn't display EAS on the LED panel.
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6 to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

whats going on with the programs not going into folders when more then one episode of the same series is recorded? like for example i have three seasons of Dexter recorded and they're not in a folder, even though the DVR Folder option is enabled.

Folders are not implemented in the S25 guide. Folders will be in a later version. The Folder option was left in by mistake. The S25 guide is based on the Motorola A25 guide, which is old. I think the current Motorola guide is A28. Interactive Applications and myDVR Manager are missing from the S25 guide. The plan is to add these to the SA/Cisco guide.
Russ6

Russ6 to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

hmm never saw it on the 8300, and I mainly always use the Moxi for my primary viewing. Would be cool to find out what exactly the firmware update did from last year besides rename the Scientific Atlanta cablecard "Cisco". Here's the info from the diagnostics page.

Bldr Ver: 124
OS Ver: PKEY1.5.2_F.p.2401
Build Time June 25th, 2010

and what Unambiguous EAS means in the iGuide configuration pages, and why its set to "no". I found this but it doesn't help alot. »EAS Alert messages take over DVR during plaback. since it describes it as message box. I'm not sure what that means but if you saw that youtube video I posted »Re: Nationwide EAS Test 11/9 2:00 PM EST thats what I see. Strangely the front of my equipment doesn't display EAS on the LED panel.

I don't know much about EAS.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

ah no problem thats generally my department, just was curious cause seem to know alot of stuff
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf to Russ6

to Russ6
yeah lol so its gonna be added to the SA/Cisco guide but when, thats the big question, it seems that no matter what happens with this guide theres always going to be something they left out or left in or screwed up on, and with the amount of waiting we've done just getting the S25 guide in the first place we probably wont see any updates until 2014. Strangely my boxes restarted this morning without warning. Why the hell can't the SA/Cisco markets get the new stuff first!! I DONT MIND BEING A TEST MARKET!! We're always treated like an after thought and I'm sick of it. I wish they went with the Cisco Blue guide. »www.multichannel.com/art ··· able.php
HankStorm
join:2010-05-26
York, PA

HankStorm to lynxexp

to lynxexp
said by lynxexp:

said by Donfish:

December.

Glad I didn't wait. I switched to DirecTV. I couldn't take the not authorized messages when trying to view certain channels or when watching DVR recording and the box rebooting literally every five minutes for a full day any longer. No one could ever fix the rebooting issue but it would somehow clear up on it's own after a day or so. Same thing happened multiple times with different boxes.
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6 to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

yeah lol so its gonna be added to the SA/Cisco guide but when, thats the big question, it seems that no matter what happens with this guide theres always going to be something they left out or left in or screwed up on, and with the amount of waiting we've done just getting the S25 guide in the first place we probably wont see any updates until 2014. Strangely my boxes restarted this morning without warning. Why the hell can't the SA/Cisco markets get the new stuff first!! I DONT MIND BEING A TEST MARKET!! We're always treated like an after thought and I'm sick of it. I wish they went with the Cisco Blue guide. »www.multichannel.com/art ··· able.php

The SA/Cisco markets are supposed to get the On-Screen Guide 2.0 first. It will be on the SA/Cisco market RNG 200N AnyRoom DVR. I think the SA/Cisco AnyRoom DVR functionality is being delayed from a nation wide deployment because the On-Screen Guide 2.0 is not ready and is currently being tested.

Click the following link to go to my post about the new Comcast guides:

»Re: New on screen guide in 2012?

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf

ok cool. thanks, so will that thread have whats in the 2.0 guide? :P

I noticed that when I change from a 720p channel to a 1080i channel or vice versa my screen blanks out for a sec. Anyone else see that? My video setting is set to fixed video 1080i.
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

said by Mike Wolf:

ok cool. thanks, so will that thread have whats in the 2.0 guide? :P

Yes
Russ6

Russ6

I have had scheduled recordings not record after getting the software patch early Tuesday morning.

The shows were OutFront on CNN at 6 pm and Anderson Cooper 360 on CNN at 11:58 pm.

The shows are set to record using the manual recording method Monday - Friday. With OutFront at 6 pm there is no other scheduled recording at that time. OutFront recorded Tuesday, but on Wednesday, OutFront didn't record and it wasn't in the My Recordings list, but it was still in the Scheduled Recordings list even though the scheduled time to record had already passed. If I pressed select, instead of getting the recording summary nothing would happen. If I went to future scheduled recordings and pressed select, nothing would happen. I switched to the grid and selected the recording, it brought up the page that allows you to set or cancel a recording, set or cancel a reminder, etc. I pressed the red button to set or cancel the recording. No matter what I did, I couldn't remove the series recording indication in the grid. I had to reboot the DVR so I could remove the series recording and reschedule the recording. OutFront recorded on Thursday, but didn't record on Friday and if I go to future scheduled recording and press select nothing happens.

Note 1: I am using the manual recording method because the DVR will record the same episode later that night or early the next day even though the NEW and REPEAT flags are set correctly. These extra recordings cause conflicts with other scheduled recordings.

Note 2: The reason I record Anderson Copper 360 at 11:58 pm instead of 12:00 am is there is no option to record Tuesday - Saturday and I tried to use 11:59 pm but the DVR would not schedule a recording at that time.

Note 3: There was another Houston Comcast user that had shows not record that were scheduled to record after getting the software patch.