uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
reply to eschamp

Re: [STB] Deployment of Software Patch for SA/Cisco S25 Guide

Usually its anything along the line either from the company to the pole to the house to the splitter to the box.

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to eschamp
said by eschamp:

Russ,

When you say in (3), "the signal to the DVR", do you mean the signal to the cable box itself? I've been having problems getting On Demand shows to play. RNG-200,

Yes
Mike Wolf is correct. The problem can be anywhere from the cable plant to the box. Also, there can be a problem in the signal that is returned from the set-top box back to the cable plant. Your problem sounds like a return signal is not in the correct range. I had this problem years ago and Comcast fixed it by doing the following. The fixes were done when different problems happened over a period of years. Either you or Comcast can do it. Look at the diagnostic screens to tell if it is a return signal problem. Make sure all the connections are tight and the cables and splitters are rated for digital cable. Cables should be rated RG6 not RG59. Splitters should be rated at 1GHz. If you have multiple cable splits, they may need to replaced with a whole house amplifier and have a single cable run to each set-top box.
--
SA 8300 HD DVRs with Patched S25 Guide
Links:
'S25 Guide Blog' 'Schedule' 'Info' 'Patch Thread'

eschamp

join:2003-10-12
Columbus, NJ
I was confused by the use of the term "DVR" where I think you meant "cable box".

How do I get the diagnostics screens and what do I look for when I get them?

Where are the splitters located? How can I tell if a splitter is rated for digital TV or not?

Will Comcast change out RG59 cable if that's what they installed 11 years ago?

Thanks.

Russ6

Houston, TX

1 edit
My original post was about issues with DVR cable boxes, but some of the issues also apply to other types of cable boxes, for example cable signal issues.

View the SA Diagnostics
Note: These procedures also work with the cable box on.

SA diagnostics and status screens can be found these ways:
RNG cable boxes: Power off the box, Press down the power button on the cable box until the green light blinks twice, then press power button again.
All Other SA boxes: Power off the cable box, Press the OK/Select button and the Info button on the cable box at the same time.

Other ways:
Turn the cable box off and turn the TV on.

There are two ways to view the SA diagnostics

1. Press and hold Select on front of unit until Mail light starts to flash, then press INFO.
2. Press and hold Pause on remote until Mail light starts to flash (around 10-15 seconds), then press Page Up (-). On some remotes, Page (+) might need to be used instead.

View the Guide Diagnostics
Using the Comcast silver remote control, press the Menu button twice, then select Setup, then Cable Box Setup, then choose Configuration - press "Select to display" and then press the 'Fav' button on the remote control to go through additional diagnostic pages. Note: The guide diagnostics are different than the SA diagnostics.

On page 1 of the SA diagnostics, look at the RF PARAMETERS or it may be OOB tuner ( Out of Band Tuner), Tuner 1, FDC and RDC. If there is a problem the values will be in color instead of white. FDC is forward data channel for data from the cable plant and RDC is rear data channel for returning data to the cable plant.

Splitters are small devices that have 3 cable connections. One is the input cable and the other two are the output cables. They are located wherever you need 2 cables instead of one cable. The splitter should have a label with its rating. Splitters for digital cable should be rated for 1GHz. If it is rated for less or is bad, it needs to be replaced.

Comcast will change out RG59 cable for RG6 cable. They may charge you unless you are on the maintenance plan. Also, Comcast may charge depending on whether the cable is in the house or outside. This may vary between Comcast areas.

Comcast and its subcontractors have tools and methods to determine if cables or splitters are bad.
--
Links:

eschamp

Columbus, NJ
said by Russ6:

View the SA Diagnostics
RNG cable boxes: Power off the box, Press down the power button on the cable box until the green light blinks twice, then press power button again.

1. Press and hold Select on front of unit until Mail light starts to flash, then press INFO.
2. Press and hold Pause on remote until Mail light starts to flash (around 10-15 seconds), then press Page Up (-). On some remotes, Page (+) might need to be used instead.

Note: The guide diagnostics are different than the SA diagnostics.

On page 1 of the SA diagnostics, look at the RF PARAMETERS or it may be OOB tuner ( Out of Band Tuner), Tuner 1, FDC and RDC. If there is a problem the values will be in color instead of white.

I have an RNG200N.

I got the SA diagnostics with the STB off by pressing SELECT and then immediately pressing INFO.

I got the Guide diagnostics using the remote with the STB off simply by pressing HELP.

Nothing else worked.

The two sets of diagnostics looked identical.

The only colored item on page 1 was Tuner 1: 12 dB mV. Is that significant?

Thanks.

eschamp

Columbus, NJ
reply to Russ6
said by Russ6:

Splitters are small devices that have 3 cable connections. One is the input cable and the other two are the output cables. They are located wherever you need 2 cables instead of one cable. The splitter should have a label with its rating. Splitters for digital cable should be rated for 1GHz. If it is rated for less or is bad, it needs to be replaced.

Comcast will change out RG59 cable for RG6 cable. They may charge you unless you are on the maintenance plan. Also, Comcast may charge depending on whether the cable is in the house or outside. This may vary between Comcast areas.

I have three cable runs. I'll check the splitters at the entry point.

Thanks.

Russ6

Houston, TX
reply to eschamp
said by eschamp:

said by Russ6:

View the SA Diagnostics

Note: The guide diagnostics are different than the SA diagnostics.

On page 1 of the SA diagnostics, look at the RF PARAMETERS or it may be OOB tuner ( Out of Band Tuner), Tuner 1, FDC and RDC. If there is a problem the values will be in color instead of white.

I have an RNG200N.

I got the SA diagnostics with the STB off by pressing SELECT and then immediately pressing INFO.

I got the Guide diagnostics using the remote with the STB off simply by pressing HELP.

Nothing else worked.

The two sets of diagnostics looked identical.

The only colored item on page 1 was Tuner 1: 12 dB mV. Is that significant?

Thanks.

Since the value of Tuner 1 is not white, this indicates it is out of range. I don't know if this amount is significant. If there is no obvious problem with the cables or splitters and they are rated for digital cable, you may need to report the original problem to Comcast and have Comcast correct it.

Do any of the cable techs have suggestions?
--
Links:

Russ6

Houston, TX
The following quote is a post from Comcast's Ted Hodgins "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog:

quote:
Hello Kel and Happy New Year.

Apologies for the delay in responding but I did not have a good answer for you until very recently. Our current schedule has the software patch going to your area of northern Virginia the week of January 9.

I will be able to update specific information as each area gets confirmed. All of our SA-Cisco customers will be getting this software patch.

The plan is to get the software patch to the remainder of our Cisco-SA customers over the next 45 to 60 days. I will have more detailed information as we get closer. Thanks for your continued patience.

Ted Hodgins replied to comment from Kel | January 3, 2012 2:46 PM

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-gui···nt-41932
--
Links:

wadewood
Premium
join:2003-05-04
Houston, TX
reply to Russ6
I'm glad they have finally rolled this out. Great news for those who continued to pay $20 plus a month for DVRS that did not work. Myself, in Houston, I returned my 2 Comcast DVR after struggling with this issues for several months. Took my a long time to find the blog where they admit this was known issue. They sure don't tell the folks in the field about this.

I switched to Silicon Dust network tuner - HD Homerun Prime and windows PC. Been running this for 4 months and would never go back.

Russ6

Houston, TX
The following quote is a post from Comcast's Ted Hodgins "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog:

quote:
Hello again Mr. Levy.

The guide software patch that you recently received significantly alleviates the current Not Authorized issue on our cable boxes. Unfortunately it is not eliminated yet. As acknowledged it is not 100% fixed but certainly significantly improved. To 100% correct this requires a firmware fix from Cisco. Cisco has delivered those firmware fixes to us and we are testing those fixes in our labs so that we are confident that this issue is resolved.

Firmware changes rely on third party interaction and generally take more time to validate.

Apologies that it is taking as long as it is taking. We felt it was important to get a significant correction out to customers now rather than wait longer for the 100% fix. We are targeting a release that includes these firmware fixes (and other enhancements) to be available to customers by mid-2012.

The Pass Through with HDMI solution is also planned to be a part of the mid-2012 release.

On Screen Guide 2.0 »www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2 is still scheduled for Minnesota and other Scientific Atlanta/Cicso areas this year. I will be able to provide some more details on that schedule soon.

Ted Hodgins replied to comment from Max | January 6, 2012 4:16 PM

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-gui···nt-42006
--
Links:

Russ6

Houston, TX

quote:
SCHEDULE UPDATE

Customers in northern Virginia and all of our customers throughout Connecticut with Scientific Atlanta or Cisco branded cable boxes are scheduled to start getting the referenced guide software patch next week. Due to the large number of customers in the Comcast areas listed below, the software patch is scheduled to be delivered over multiple nights. Different cable box models will be targeted each night. Schedules are subject to change. All of our SA-Cisco customers will be getting this software patch.

CONNECTICUT
All locations

VIRGINIA
Alexandria, Arlington, Dale City, Dumfries, Fort Belvoir, Gainesville, Haymarket, Lake Ridge, Manassas, Manassas Park, Occoquan, Prince William County, Quantico, Reston, Triangle

The plan is to get the software patch to the remainder of our Cisco-SA customers over the next 45 to 60 days.

Ted Hodgins replied to comment from Ted Hodgins | January 6, 2012 4:41 PM

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-gui···nt-42008
--
Links:

Russ6

Houston, TX

quote:
SCHEDULE UPDATE

Customers in Maryland, Delaware and parts of Pennsylvania with Scientific Atlanta or Cisco branded cable boxes are scheduled to start getting the referenced guide software patch next week.

Due to the large number of customers in the Comcast areas listed below, the software patch is scheduled to be delivered over multiple nights. Different cable box models will be targeted each night. Schedules are subject to change. All of our SA-Cisco customers will be getting this software patch.

MARYLAND
Carroll County, Church Creek, Eldorado, Berlin, Bethlehem, Brookview, Cambridge, Caroline County, Deal Island, Denton, East New Market, Federalsburg, Fruitland, Galestown, Goldsboro, Greensboro, Hampstead, Harford County, Harmony, Hebron, Henderson, Hillsboro, Howard County, Hurlock, Laurel, Manchester, Mardela, Mardela Springs, Marydel, Mount Airy, Nanticoke, New Windsor, Ocean City, Pocomoke City, Preston, Princess Anne, Queen Anne, Ridgely, Salisbury, Secretary, Sharptown, Snow Hill, Somerset County, Sykesville, Taneytown, Tyaskin, Union Bridge, Vienna, Westminster Wicomico County, Worcester County

DELAWARE
Bethel, Blades, Bowers Beach, Bridgeville, Camden, Cheswold, Clayton, Delmar, Dewey Beach, Dover, Dover Air Force Base, Ellendale, Farmington, Felton, Fenwick Island, Frederica, Georgetown, Greenwood, Harrington, Hartly, Henlopen Acres, Houston, Kent County, Kenton, Leipsic, Lewes, Lincoln, Little Creek, Magnolia, Milford, Milton, New Castle County, Rehoboth Beach, Reliance, Seaford, Selbyville, Slaughter Beach, Smyrna, Sussex County, Viola, Woodside, Wyoming.

PENNSYLVANIA
Eagles Mere, Hanover, Mill Hall, Turbotville, Williamsport, York

The plan is to get the software patch to the remainder of our Cisco-SA customers over the next 30 days.

As a reminder, some of the significant customer-impacting items addressed in the software patch include:

1. Truncated DVR Recordings - Some customers are experiencing DVR recordings that end early or are being significantly cut off

2. Not Authorized message on a HD Channel - Some customers may have seen a Not Authorized overlay occasionally on authorized HD channels that they are in fact authorized to watch.

3. Pass Through available as a HD resolution option via the HD Wizard screen (using component cables).

Ted Hodgins replied to comment from Ted Hodgins | January 20, 2012 11:14 AM

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-gui···nt-42164
--
Links:

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
When exactly does anyone know if Comcast is going to roll out the ability to change the "save until" setting by default so you can set it to "save until: I delete" automatically.

Russ6

Houston, TX

quote:
SCHEDULE UPDATE

Customers in northeast Pennsylvania with Scientific Atlanta or Cisco branded cable boxes are scheduled to start getting the referenced guide software patch next week.

Due to the large number of customers in the Comcast areas listed below, the software patch is scheduled to be delivered over multiple nights. Different cable box models will be targeted each night. Schedules are subject to change. All of our SA-Cisco customers will be getting this software patch.

Abington Township, Alexandria, Archbald, Avoca, Benton Township, Berrysburg, Blakely, Brady Township, Broad Top Township, Carbon Township, Catherine Township, Clarks Green, Clarks Summit, Clinton Township, Coaldale, Coalmont, Covington Township, Dallas, Dallas Township, Dalton, Dudley, Dunmore, Dupont, Duryea, Edwardsville, Elizabethville, Elmhurst Township, Exeter, Exeter Township, Factoryville, Forty Fort, Franklin Township, Glenburn Township, Gratz, Harveys Lake, Higgins Township, Henderson Township, Hopewell, Hopewell Township, Hubbley Township, Hughestown, Huntingdon, Jefferson Township, Jenkins Township, Jessup, Juniata Township, Kingston Township, Kistler, Laflin, LaPlume Township, Lehman Township, Liberty Township, Lincoln Township, Logan Township, Luzerne, Lykens, Lykens Township, Madison Township, Marklesburg, Mifflin Township, Mill Creek, Moosic, Morris Township, Moscow, Mt. Union. Nanticoke, Newtown Hamilton, Newton Township, Nicholson, North Abington Township, Northmoreland Township, Old Forge, Olyphant, Oneida Township, Penn Township, Petersburg, Pillow, Pittston, Pittstown Township, Plains Township, Plymouth, Porter Township, Ransom Township, Roaring Brook Township, Rush Township, Saxton, Scott Township, Scranton, Shirley Township, Shirlesyburg, Smithfield Township, South Abington Township, Spring Brook Township, Swoyersville, Taylor, Throop, Tower City, Union Township, Upper Mahontongo Township, Upper Paxton Township, Walker Township, Washington Township, Wayne Township, Wells Township, West Pittston, West Wyoming, Wicionisco Township, Williams Township, Williamsburg, Williamstown, Woodbury Township, Wyoming, Yatesville.

The plan is to get the software patch to the remainder of our Cisco-SA customers within the next 30 days.

As a reminder, some of the significant customer-impacting items addressed in the software patch include:

1. Truncated DVR Recordings - Some customers are experiencing DVR recordings that end early or are being significantly cut off

2. Not Authorized message on a HD Channel - Some customers may have seen a Not Authorized overlay occasionally on authorized HD channels that they are in fact authorized to watch.

3. Pass Through available as a HD resolution option via the HD Wizard screen (using component cables).

Ted Hodgins replied to comment from Ted Hodgins | January 26, 2012 1:28 PM

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-gui···nt-42224
--
Links:

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
um, not sure what your telling me or what that has to do with my question.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
I still have the HDMI handshake issue on my motorola boxes. When will this be fixed?

Russ6

Houston, TX

2 edits
reply to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

um, not sure what your telling me or what that has to do with my question.

My previous post has nothing to do with your question. It provides information about the next areas that will get the patch, which is the purpose of this thread.

With regard to your question, Ted Hodgins has mentioned that his staff is looking at the defaults and some may change with future guide versions. It was a very general comment and he did not make a commitment to change anything. Since I didn't have a specific answer to your qustion, I didn't reply to your question. I agree that it would be nice to be able to change the default to keep until I delete.

EDIT: I found the post. Note, how old the date is. Here it is:

quote:
Hello Scott and thanks for your comments and questions.

Currently, the DVR recording's "Save Until" setting is program or series specific. The default is to "Save until space is needed". To change the default setting to "Save until I delete" would need to be set for each DVR recording.

We have been exploring the suggestion you listed and how to best implement that change for a possible future release.

Ted Hodgins replied to comment from Scott | October 25, 2010 11:40 AM

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-gui···nt-35437
--
Links:

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to mikedz4
who knows at this point. I'd recommend component cables for now, which sucks because of the inconvenience.

Russ6

Houston, TX
reply to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

I still have the HDMI handshake issue on my motorola boxes. When will this be fixed?

I think it will be a long time or it may never be fixed. HDMI handshake works OK with some TVs but not with other TVs.

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Russ6
those stupid not authroized as you switch channel messages are getting worse for me now! I never had this problem with the SARA guide..... now almost every channel says it randomly even locals

switch the channel up then back down and its back to normal..... annoying!