spc
Search similar:

uniqs
monicakm
join:2005-03-12
Grand Saline, TX

monicakm

So Long "Dream"

So I get the email telling me how lucky I am that HughesNet has made all these wonderful improvements and no additional charge. I'm not seein' it. A few months ago I saw a tremendous boost in download times. At least 3 times faster than what I'd been getting (120-140kbsp). About a month ago all that came to a screeching halt. I barely reach my earlier numbers now. I never saw an improvement in browsing speeds. Buy hey! Thanks for the 50mb in extra downloads
Monica

smokey92070
@direcpc.com

smokey92070

Anon

I agree with Monica, I went to Texas to fight fire,when I returned I lost 25 % of my speed, thanks Hughes Net. Do not need the extra 50mb, would rather have the speed.
marsh_0x
join:2006-04-25
Tomahawk, WI

marsh_0x to monicakm

to monicakm
said by monicakm:

A few months ago I saw a tremendous boost in download times. At least 3 times faster than what I'd been getting (120-140kbsp).

I barely reach my earlier numbers now.
Monica

Hi monica

What modem 7000 or 9000 would help to know.

I got my double speed from 1.7 to always 3.4 Mbps, 16 Sept or before noticing.
9000 Pro Plus costs $84 with sales tax.

I remain in mystery why ?
EDIT in: ah forgot about the must be dreaming thread so now i remain in a dream...

Marsh

wa5sox1
join:2007-07-09

2 edits

wa5sox1 to monicakm

to monicakm
Same here. About a month ago I did notice an increase in speed, but it was short lived. ... Now speeds are Very slow. On Hughes speedtest, usually around 100-200 down. Early morning tests show improved speeds of just 400 down. ... Since these 'changes' were made, performance has gotten terrible. ... 'Flow Control' is ON for at least 14 hours per day. ... Another edit. Flow Control is now off. I've posted results of speedtest below. Plan speeds are 1500/300.

For those 7000/9000 owners who DID note a speed increase, I would be interested in knowing if latency went up when speeds increased.

Edit to add: For users of the HN7000S, would you please post your satellite and gateway (router address)?

tobicat
Premium Member
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ

tobicat to monicakm

Premium Member

to monicakm
This is what i get right now on a 1000Kbs plan.

chances14
join:2010-03-03
Michigan

chances14 to monicakm

to monicakm
still getting fast speeds on my end. HN9000 1mb plan

zeddlar
join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK

zeddlar

Still running at 4.2 here. The hughesnet test doesn't work for me any more. In fact I just tried it again to day but it showed my speeds at something like 350 Kb/s down and 50 Kb/s up but when I download I see actual download speeds of 200 to 500 KB/s depending on how popular the download I am getting is and thus how crowded the server supplying the download is, so at 500 KB/s that means my line speed would at least be capable of somewhere in the neighborhood of 4Mb/s.

With that said, if you are not seeing at least your plan speeds then hop on over to the HN Forums and post about it and Patrick or Sarah will be more than happy to address your issues, I am sure. Usually you hear back from them in a short while but don't give up if it takes a bit cause as you can imagine, they are getting swamped over there, lol.
monicakm
Grand Saline, TX

monicakm to smokey92070

to smokey92070
Thank you (from all us Texans)!
And yeah, I'd much rather have the increased speeds!
monicakm

monicakm to marsh_0x

to marsh_0x
9000. Wish I was still dreamin'. Now I'm in nightmare mode It's really slow. Sometimes in the double digits slow

Speaking of plan costs, mine used to be $70 and a few months ago went up to $73.xx. I haven't called about it yet. Anyone else?
monicakm

monicakm to smokey92070

to smokey92070
In the last 5 minutes, I've gotten speed tests that range from 271kb/s to 621kb/s and .22mbps download, 0.08 upload.
I think it's time to visit the new HughesNet forum.
Monica
chances14
Michigan

chances14 to monicakm

to monicakm
said by monicakm:

9000. Wish I was still dreamin'. Now I'm in nightmare mode It's really slow. Sometimes in the double digits slow

Speaking of plan costs, mine used to be $70 and a few months ago went up to $73.xx. I haven't called about it yet. Anyone else?

»[HN9000] Texas residents now being taxed on hughesnet service....
monicakm
Grand Saline, TX

monicakm

Thanks chances14.

This is getting really crazy. Just can't muster up the energy it takes to carry on a conversation with someone who's just reading canned replies and doesn't speak my language The maddest I've ever been (on the phone) was with Hughesnet. Can't afford to get that mad again and risk a stroke
testmy says my download is 4Mbps. Speedtest.net says 0.21Mbps download. I think testmy is a bit optimistic in it's reporting This site says 899Kb/s and this note...
"ISP upload compression was detected. Your upload speeds may be inaccurate". What is upload compression?
Monica
zeddlar
Jay, OK

zeddlar

If you pick an obscure file somewhere to download so your not downloading from an overcrowded server I think you will find that you are downloading in excess of 400 Kb/s which would make testmy.net accurate. The guys that take care of that site are extremly vigilant in making sure that test is accurate and they pay special attention to satellite testers. They have recoded the test many times to work out the bugs with satellite connections.

I am not saying you are wrong, just implying you could be so don't get mad, lol. Not really sure what upload compression is exactly but I have seen that as well. I havn't ever trusted speedtest.net, I wish they would ban that site cause it generally causes more trouble than it solves. Off a steady dedicated T1 connection which is a stedy and consistant 1.5 Mb/s up and down, I have seen speedtests of everything from 24Kb/s down to 185 Mb/s down and that connection never ever varied by 1 byte. the one here seems to be accurate for most connection and while it does vary with satellite a bit, it does seem to be more accurate than most flash tests. Anyhow with a little testing wqith real world downloads I have found that I really am getting 3.9 to 4.2 Mb/s download speeds so I bet you are too. Not everyone got speed increases yet but Hughesnet did aknowledge that they rolled out speed increases to some users and that they are planning on everyone that can getting them soon. They are also saying they might be able to increase the speed more later on.
jduck8
join:2010-10-01
USA

jduck8

I have the HN9000 and I'm still seeing faster speeds. On the 1M plan, during the overnight hours, I've been measuring around 2.5Mbit/sec, and it's been consistent since early July. Latency has not gone up. Right now in the middle of the day:

By the way, speedtest.net's current measurement method is useless for satellite (they changed it sometime after I got Hughesnet a year ago). It may be technically accurate since it measures the end-to-end download time, but the download is small and the high latency affects the results so much as to make them meaningless. Most of us are more concerned with "once it gets going, how fast can I receive data", not "how long in total is it going to take to download a pretty small file?"

The latency is tough on me when I connect to work (SSL VPN), and the download limit makes streaming anything significant impossible, but I have to say that Hughesnet does seem to be making efforts to improve the experience for its customers, which is something that's been lacking for quite some time. I really think it is coming down to new technology and competition. I still wonder why in 2011 the phone company still has not been able to come up with a technology that extends further than DSL has for the last 13 years (which would bring in eager customers), but between government programs encouraging broadband growth, and new wireless alternatives (which alas will probably never work for me due to terrain), more and more of us are able to switch away from Hughesnet all the time (and most jump at the chance).
marsh_0x
Tomahawk, WI

1 edit

marsh_0x to zeddlar

to zeddlar
said by zeddlar:

If you pick an obscure file somewhere to download so your not downloading from an overcrowded server

I havn't ever trusted speedtest.net, I wish they would ban that site I really am getting 3.9 to 4.2 Mb/s download speeds so I bet you are too.

Ditto, that Speed Test site is a comedy act at it's finest.
Regardless using with Hughes or Wild Blue test at any hour of the day/night.

Besides Hughes test I use TMN so to compare my 2 providers (ouch) at $84 each- yes we have have sales tax.

When I doubt any speed tests sites then I'm off to File Hippo with "dedicated servers" with a file size of 110MB math says time in minutes of download at a rate of 393KBps or if you relate better to Mbps is 3.144 or double my paid for speed.

Life continues to be good for 5 weeks now, remaining in a dream...

EDIT in: Hi jduck, very well explained.

Marsh

fish1000
@army.mil

fish1000 to monicakm

Anon

to monicakm
I am well pleased with the changes. I got a speednet reading of .89 down .36 up. This is over twice as much as my previous best! Plus I am now getting service all evening. I have posted harsh words against Hughesnet in the past, but they were true. Things are really getting better.
zeddlar
Jay, OK

zeddlar to monicakm

to monicakm
Dowloaded a new Nvidea graphics driver from Nvidea's website and averaged 473KB/s. pretty cool, got 105 MB in about 30 seconds or so. It started with a burst speed of 700KB/s but that didn't last long, lol.
jduck8
join:2010-10-01
USA

jduck8

said by zeddlar:

Dowloaded a new Nvidea graphics driver from Nvidea's website and averaged 473KB/s. pretty cool, got 105 MB in about 30 seconds or so. It started with a burst speed of 700KB/s but that didn't last long, lol.

To explain that apparent burst of speed... what is actually happening is that the file is downloading while the browser is waiting for you to tell it where to save it. After that, when the download progress thing opens, it starts measuring the time *right then* rather than from when it really started downloading. So it's really a measurement error that decreases in size as the download progresses.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

1 edit

compuguybna to zeddlar

to zeddlar
That equates to about 3.784 mbps. I didn't even think Hughesnet could produce speeds that high (never did on mine at least).

Not sure how you downloaded a 105mb file in 30 seconds.

I downloaded the same file on a 20mbps cable connection at a average rate of 18.08mbps and it took me 51 seconds.

So, there is NO WAY you downloaded 105mb in 30 seconds at a rate of 3.784mbps. Something doesn't add up. We could only WISH a satellite connection worked that fast!
said by zeddlar:

compuguybna

compuguybna to monicakm

to monicakm

Something doesn't add up.

Highest I ever got off a 9000 system was 1.6mbps which is ~ 199kb/s

1mbps only averages ~ 122kb/s when downloading.

dbirdman
MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa

dbirdman

MVM

said by compuguybna:

"That was then, this is now"

Have you not noticed all of the posts about the rather large increases in speed many Hughes users are/have been experiencing over the last few months?

Not everybody has them - the situation with Hughes remains that there are always those with terrible speeds - but overall speeds have easily doubled for most of us.
chances14
Michigan

chances14 to compuguybna

to compuguybna
i downloaded a couple movies last night and the download speed was consistently between 250-300 kb/s and i'm on the 1mb plan. their network improvements have worked wonders at least for my connection
zeddlar
Jay, OK

zeddlar to compuguybna

to compuguybna
Did you miss the "or so" on there??? I didn't set here and time it, I was just making a point that it was very fast and again I will tell you that you can't come back after 2 years or more and preach about how bad a service is and expect to be right if you don't even research whether anything has changed in that time. And just to settle your problem I am going to take 4 MB off that total of 105 for the first burst that got that 4 MB Probably lasted 15 seconds or so, didn't time that either but I did watch that one to see where it would settle. Ok now at a 473 KB/s average it took approx. 3 minutes and 40 seconds so there you go, without sitting here and timing it that is as exact as it is going to get.
zeddlar

zeddlar

One More Too
join:2010-09-09
Galena, IL

One More Too to dbirdman

to dbirdman
said by dbirdman:

said by compuguybna:

"That was then, this is now"

Have you not noticed all of the posts about the rather large increases in speed many Hughes users are/have been experiencing over the last few months?

Not everybody has them - the situation with Hughes remains that there are always those with terrible speeds - but overall speeds have easily doubled for most of us.

It certainly does appear to be a very different Hughes service than the one that existed even a year or two ago, and this seems to be true in many ways.

Not only do you have the significantly higher speeds that were first reported by 9000 system users and that now seem to be in the process of being rolled out to 7000 system users, but you have the modest, but appreciated, increases in usage caps. Further, the new Hughes-operated forum seems to be a big step toward remedying the significant complaints that many have had with regard to Hughes' virtually complete lack of communication with its customers. It would appear that, on that forum, there are two Hughes' employees (one of whom has posted here) who can, not only answer questions from customers, but who also are high enough in the support chain of command to actually be able to solve problems for those customers. And, for the first time that I can recall, Hughes seems to be showing an interest in listening to customers and in responding to their concerns.

I also think that there is further anecdotal evidence that Hughes is providing a different/improved product by looking at the posts on this board. Three or four years ago, you could have looked at this board and found multiple posts virtually every day from people complaining about sub-dial up speeds, prolonged service outages, etc. Now, you have the occasional posts from people who are requesting help with diagnosing problems related to failing equipment, and, while you have the very occasional posts from those complaining about slow speeds, they are quite rare in comparison to their frequency a few years ago.

While satellite service will always have limitations compared to terrestrially-based service and while Hughes may still not be a perfect company, I think that they should be given credit for making improvements in the quality of their service and in the way that they interact with their customers that, a couple of years ago, I would not have ever expected them to make.

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to zeddlar

to zeddlar
Zeddy . . I can visit the forum any time I choose and make any appropriate comment I wish. Please don't act as the forum police and dictate what forums I can visit and post in.

Furthermore, my brother 5 miles down the road still has Hughesnet, so I'll still continue to comment on it as long as anyone in my family has to put up with it. While he doesn't like it either, its the only source of internet at the time. Charter didn't go that extra 5 miles down.

Good night...
said by zeddlar:

Did you miss the "or so" on there??? I didn't set here and time it, I was just making a point that it was very fast and again I will tell you that you can't come back after 2 years or more and preach about how bad a service is and expect to be right if you don't even research whether anything has changed in that time.

marsh_0x
Tomahawk, WI

1 edit

marsh_0x

My dream continues in prime time.
Forgive me if this test doesn't work, a 1st time attempt to post proof and happiness with Hughes.
EDIT in : bingo learned how to

Hi compuguybna, lucky you, my motto is ~I live with the cards Dealt to me~ hard to miss something I never had.

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to One More Too

to One More Too
Are they shelling out HN9200 modems now?
said by One More Too:

said by dbirdman:

said by compuguybna:

"

It certainly does appear to be a very different Hughes service than the one that existed even a year or two ago, and this seems to be true in many ways.

tobicat
Premium Member
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ

tobicat

Premium Member

They are indeed selling 9200's.

septcasey
join:2006-09-07
United State

septcasey to compuguybna

to compuguybna
This is great news, however I would have much preferred my monthly $72 bill cut in half or lowered a bit. It is still a ridiculous amount to pay for what most others are paying $15 a month for.

Regardless, I think these changes are long overdue. I think if not for the mass amount of complaints these changes may not have happened. As wired and mobile broadband expand, more and more satellite dishes are being thrown in the dump. People aren't stupid. They know a good deal and bad deal when they see one when it comes to internet shopping. I know satellite internet will never be the ideal internet solution for residents because of the latency issues which is why the price has to go down. I will say my service is a lot better now but I still don't feel like I am getting my money's worth. $72/month for internet access really is too much to pay in this day and time.