how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

simba1994

join:2002-02-10
Largo, FL

[TV] ESPN3D Not Authorized on CableCARD

When tuning ESPN 3D (Channel 1772) on Brighthouse equipment, the channel works just fine, but on any equipment with CableCARDs, the channel is "Not Authorized". I have Tuning Adapters on both TiVos with MCards. All other premium channels work fine.

Channels that are not supported on CableCARDs (like On Demand) appear as "Channel not Provided by the Tuning Adapter". ESPN 3D, however, just says "Not Authorized".

I have read that folks in other markets with CableCARDs receive 3D channels just fine with TiVo. Any ideas? Is this something that someone can turn on so those of us with CableCARDs can try it out?

(PS. I realize the ESPN3D has very little content, but I just want to resolve the issue before any more 3D channels roll out)

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
kudos:2
Havent actually heard of that issue yet, Is the tivo Mpeg4 compatible?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:153
reply to simba1994
Tim thats my thinking as well. ESPN 3D requires an M type converter while other 3D channels do not.

tim tim tim

Lutz, FL
for now...

Id imagine MUCH more stuff is going mpeg 4 as it will use less bandwidth to accomplish the same outcome. Infortunatly a lot of equipment still isnt compatible yet.

simba1994

Largo, FL
I'm trying to get an answer from TiVo, but in my research, I also have read Comcast subscribers having the same problem. The cable company just has to authorize the channels for the cableCARDs, and the channel should work with TiVo Premier and Series 3 boxes.

Can someone at BHN try and authorize the channels for my CableCARDs so I can see if the channel actually doesn't work or is just turned off?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by simba1994:

I'm trying to get an answer from TiVo, but in my research, I also have read Comcast subscribers having the same problem. The cable company just has to authorize the channels for the cableCARDs, and the channel should work with TiVo Premier and Series 3 boxes.

Can someone at BHN try and authorize the channels for my CableCARDs so I can see if the channel actually doesn't work or is just turned off?

Please send me a pm...
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Einstein~

tim tim tim

Lutz, FL
reply to simba1994
you may be right with it just needing to be authorized but every cable company does things different. Just because it works for comcast doesnt mean itll work with ours. ( I would be surprised if it didnt, im just throwing that out there).

simba1994

Largo, FL
Oh, I'm not implying that Brighthouse and Comcast use the same technology for CaTV. I'm sure there are several different ways to transmit cable TV, even with standards in QAM and SDV.

Besides, I also read of tons of customer service horror stories with Comcast, so I'm very happy to be with Brighthouse .... regardless of TV technologies.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit
reply to simba1994
edited

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to simba1994
Strike that Simba...check your PM for important info.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to simba1994
In order to view ESPN 3D you need the 3D pass which is $10.00 per month and you must have an M type converter. Cable card will not work at least for now. I'm researching it and will post back later when I get an update.

tim tim tim

Lutz, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
If that's the case, he wont get any of the sports pass channels either (if you wanted them) because they require the same box.

I don't think Comcast even uses SDV. there on an all digital format so they have a lot more bandwidth to play with (even though were on an 860MHz system and they run a 750MHz system). Not that SDV has anything to do with the issue at hand, I think its more a compatibility issue, sounds like ISP is on to something so well see soon.

realjd

join:2012-01-10
Palm Bay, FL
reply to simba1994
Is there any update on this? Looking online, my TiVo series 3 works with ESPN 3D on other cable companies (it does support MPEG4 now I read), and I can see it in the channel list, but the guy on the phone said it still isn't supported by Brighthouse.

I have a series 3 TiVo with an m-card and a tuning adapter and am in Palm Bay, FL.

I really want to try out ESPN 3D, but I don't want to give up my TiVo to go back to the Brighthouse DVR.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that I do receive the sports pass channels like the Big Ten Network HD just fine with my TiVo.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to simba1994
Not at this time...sorry

simba1994

Largo, FL
reply to simba1994
The Rose Parade in 3D, which aired on 1770 in Tampa Bay worked just fine on my TiVo Premier and TiVo Premier Elite units, so there should be no technical reason for ESPN3D to not work on these devices. I think it's an authorization/CableCARD programming issue at BHN. However, after learning of the $10/month cost and the very limited content on ESPN3D, I'm in no rush for a resolution on this one.

realjd

Palm Bay, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
No problem, thanks for the info. I was going to pick up a second cable box anyway for another room. I just added ESPN 3D to that one. Since it's a more of a special event channel and not something that I'd just channel surf to, I'll just move the new box to my new 3d TV as needed.

Do the non-DVR HD boxes have guides? When I first plugged it in I could access the channel guide, but after I did a "box hit" over the phone to get ESPN 3D to work I stopped being able to access the guide. Even a full power cycle didn't fix it.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by realjd:

No problem, thanks for the info. I was going to pick up a second cable box anyway for another room. I just added ESPN 3D to that one. Since it's a more of a special event channel and not something that I'd just channel surf to, I'll just move the new box to my new 3d TV as needed.

Do the non-DVR HD boxes have guides? When I first plugged it in I could access the channel guide, but after I did a "box hit" over the phone to get ESPN 3D to work I stopped being able to access the guide. Even a full power cycle didn't fix it.

That's odd...very odd. So when you push the guide button what happens?
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Einstein~

tim tim tim

Lutz, FL
Every box should have a guide. I agree that its an odd issue.

realjd

Palm Bay, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
When I push the guide button, nothing happens other than the remote flashing. Pushing info shows a small box in the corner with the channel name, number, and logo but nothing else - not even a placeholder where the current program info would appear. It's a brand new Cisco 4742HDC that I picked up yesterday.

What's really strange is that it worked for the first two or three minutes, until I did the box hit over the phone. In addition to fully unplugging the unit and plugging it back in, I also tried doing a second box hit which also didn't fix it.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to simba1994
When you use the SAME remote on another box do you get the guide?

Oh wait....I know whats up

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to simba1994
Please PM me your modem MAC and IP addresses. I want to look at levels...

realjd

Palm Bay, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

When you use the SAME remote on another box do you get the guide?

My only other box is the Tivo with the cable card/tuning adapter so I have no way to check the remote.

I'll PM the MAC and IP address now...

tim tim tim

Lutz, FL
there is a guide button right on the box, try hitting that

tim tim tim

Lutz, FL
reply to realjd
Its booting in analog mode, are you able to get any channels over 99?

If it is, you either have a bad box or poor signal which is causing it to boot that way.

realjd

Palm Bay, FL
reply to tim tim tim
The only button on the front is a power button.

It has no problem tuning HD channels or ESPN 3D.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to simba1994
What is the status of this? Sorry it got lost in all of the other things going on last week.

realjd

Palm Bay, FL
No luck with the guide. Also, I only can receive 3D channel 1770 intermittently, and ESPN 3D has dropped out a couple of times as well. I've had no issues with any non-3D channels on the new box, my internet connection, or my Tivo.

realjd

Palm Bay, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
Last night ESPN3D wouldn't display at all ("not available") and the box kept showing "on demand is unavailable" errors.

You said you had a few ideas as to what may be going on, but I never heard anything more. Is there anything I should be doing? Would a box swap at the local BH office be a good idea?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to simba1994
You have me confised here...are we talking about a box or a cable card.

realjd

Palm Bay, FL
I originally asked about getting espn 3d on my , then mentioned that I got a non-DVR box for ESPN 3D that wouldn't show guide data. In addition to not having any guide data, ESPN 3d has been intermittent (not working at all this weekend), the other 3d channel never worked, and now I'm getting on demand errors.

You were trying to help me with the guide data problem. You asked for my modem ip and Mac address, then said you'd get back to me.

Look at my previous posts in this thread for more info.

Thanks!