spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jrgarrett

join:2011-10-20

VOIP.ms Incoming Call Problem

I recently ported my parents pots line to voip.ms. The port completed without issue however, I have noted that when an incoming call is made from one of the towns local providers the caller gets a "this number is no longer in service" message. The best I can tell all other incoming/outgoing calls work fine.

I contacted voip.ms whose response was that the provider needs to update their routes. I contacted the provider (South Central Rural Telephone Co) and was advised:

"The VOIP service (Level 3) you have chosen to provide your parents service with has chosen not to get local interconnection with SCRTC to handle local calling service. We have addressed this issue with Level 3 in the past and they have chosen not to consider this. SCRTC has no way to complete the local call to that number. "

Is this something voip.ms could correct by switching to a different provider (I was under the impression that they broker their service out to wholesalers)?

Would another voip company allow this to be done?

Please note:

I also use voip.ms on the same exchange and don't have this problem however I originally ported my pots number to an AT&T GoPhone in an effort to port to Google Voice. I ported from AT&T to voip.ms after finding out that the number was not elegible for Google Voice port.

Any direction from someone knowledgeable on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

said by jrgarrett:

...when an incoming call is made from one of the towns local providers the caller gets a "this number is no longer in service" message. The best I can tell all other incoming/outgoing calls work fine.

I contacted voip.ms whose response was that the provider needs to update their routes. I contacted the provider (South Central Rural Telephone Co) and was advised:

"The VOIP service (Level 3) you have chosen to provide your parents service with has chosen not to get local interconnection with SCRTC to handle local calling service. We have addressed this issue with Level 3 in the past and they have chosen not to consider this. SCRTC has no way to complete the local call to that number. "

It appears that SCRTC is misunderstanding the issue. The problem is probably with their switch.

Once SCRTC ports the number out, when someone on the same switch dials your parents' number, the switch should see that the number is portable, check a database to see that it has in fact been ported out, and then send a query to get the LRN and SS7 point code of the switch to which it has been ported. Then it has to set up a route to the recipient switch and send your parents' number to the recipient switch. After that it's the job of the recipient switch to route the call.

The signaling should all be handled through SS7. To the best of my knowledge, having SS7 is a requirement for portability. As long as the recipient (Level 3) switch is handling incoming calls properly, the fault must lie in the SCRTC switch.

I don't think you've reached a person at SCRTC who understands the problem. You want to get the trouble sent to a person who handles switch translations for LNP.

I have dealt with this issue before, with the ridiculous result that techs were checking at the NID to see what they got. Most likely you will have to get the trouble escalated. Technically since your parents are no longer SCRTC customers, one of SCRTC's customers should make a trouble report that they are unable to reach that number.

If local calling is regulated in your jurisdiction, the caller or your parents may also file a complaint with the public utilities commission or other state or local authority responsible for this regulation.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

jrgarrett

ArgMeMatey, thanks for the reply however need to clear up one misunderstanding.

Prior to switching to voip.ms my parents had service with Windstream. SCRTC is just a local provider that we cannot receive calls from (our business uses SCRTC which is how we found the problem). Just wanting to confirm your response does not change with this additional information.

I am also curious as to why the service works for me and not for them (as relates to SCRTC)

Thanks again for your input.

ArgMeMatey

Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

said by jrgarrett:

Prior to switching to voip.ms my parents had service with Windstream. SCRTC is just a local provider that we cannot receive calls from (our business uses SCRTC which is how we found the problem).
I am also curious as to why the service works for me and not for them (as relates to SCRTC)

1. Whether your parents' number originally belonged to the local carrier or Windstream, the end result should be the same: The call goes through. The LNP lookup is the same, as far as I know, whether the ported number was originally on the same switch or an entirely different carrier.

2. Try looking up the info at telcodata.us and tnid.org. telcodata will generally give you the original switch info and location based on the NPA-NXX, i.e. 270-678, while tnid should show the carrier that was originally, as well as is currently, hosting their 10-digit number. (You can also reply with NPA-NXX and I'll look it up for you on telcodata, but don't post any full phone numbers.)

3. Your business, as the SCRTC customer, should report to repair that you are unable to reach your parents' number despite the fact that calls complete OK from other carriers.

You might suggest that somebody at SCRTC try calling your parents from a national mobile carrier (such as AT&T or Verizon) to confirm that the problem is not with Level 3.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
USNGWeb

jrgarrett

reply to jrgarrett

My parents/my area code - exchange is 270-651

Here is my parents info from tnid.us (note no current company listed):

tnID Database Record For 270-651-XXXX

Caller ID:
Fathers Name Here

Original Telephone Company:
Windstream Kentucky East Inc. - Lexington
Original Telephone Company Type:
Independent Telephone Company (ICO)

Estimated City:
Glasgow
Estimated Region:
Kentucky
Estimated Postal Code:
Equipment Location Code:
GLSGKYXADS0

Here is my info:

tnID Database Record For 270-651-XXXX

Current Telephone Company:
Alec, Inc.

Original Telephone Company:
Windstream Kentucky East Inc. - Lexington
Original Telephone Company Type:
Independent Telephone Company (ICO)

Estimated City:
Glasgow
Estimated Region:
Kentucky
Estimated Postal Code:
Equipment Location Code:
GLSGKYXADS0

Could the lack of a current company with my parents account be the source of our issues?

Thanks again for your insight.

ArgMeMatey

Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

said by jrgarrett:

Could the lack of a current company with my parents account be the source of our issues?

Sorry, I don't know.

I did look up a bunch of my numbers, and the only ones that do not have a "current company" are those that have never ported from the original carrier.

Have you tried calling the number in question from other than the problem carrier(s) and voip.ms, for example from a national cellular carrier or a distant local carrier?
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
USNGWeb

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
reply to jrgarrett

You should also send a private message on this website to one of the Voip.MS representatives (MartinM or Suppafly) and ask them to look into this at a higher customer service level.

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:12
reply to jrgarrett

Out of curiosity, has this issue been resolved yet?

Expand your moderator at work