JALevinworth
@embarqhsd.net

JALevinworth to garys_2k

Anon

to garys_2k

Re: [Scam] Card Services relentless phone calls revisited

said by garys_2k:

.. I added to my "send to disconnected number/SIT tone list."

Ah.. You got the SIT tone going we talked about up thread. How did you get it incorporated? Has it been working so far for you?

-Jim

FairPlay
@verizon.net

FairPlay

Anon

My take on it is that turnabout is fair play. Do a google search. There are lots of free "callerID" programs out there that take it a step further and allow you to "zap" these calls. I use one called "Phone Tray". As long as your computer remains on, you can program it to play multiple messages in response to specific numbers. You can track the numbers, have it show on your computer caller ID as "Cruise Scam" or "Credit Card Scam", and have it automatically play a SIT tone message or no telemarketing message, etc. phonetray.com and others are out there. Turnabout is fair play.

JALevinworth
@embarqhsd.net

JALevinworth

Anon

said by FairPlay :

My take on it is that turnabout is fair play. Do a google search. There are lots of free "callerID" programs out there that take it a step further and allow you to "zap" these calls. I use one called "Phone Tray". As long as your computer remains on, you can program it to play multiple messages in response to specific numbers. You can track the numbers, have it show on your computer caller ID as "Cruise Scam" or "Credit Card Scam", and have it automatically play a SIT tone message or no telemarketing message, etc. phonetray.com and others are out there. Turnabout is fair play.

True there are alternatives and probably great ones too, although IMHO you don't have to spend $29.95 (or anything) and must have a phone line through a computer that has to remain on/awake (neither I have, but you might so that's fine) -- when downloading a SIT tone and incorporating it into your existing system works (for me, if you read up thread). Nothing against phonetray if it does for you. Might be a great product if you need/want all that other than just zapping robo-calls which plain and simple SITS does.

Also, a SIT tone isn't a message it's a special frequency tone, which is the one-in-the-same actual ZAP you refer too.

Ender3rd
join:2001-07-15
Connecticut
·Frontier FiberOp..

Ender3rd

I really shouldn't tempt fate, but the silent treatment seems to have worked for me. After sticking with that approach I have not received a credit card services call in months. I still do the silent treatment on the rare occasion when I see a number or entity I don't recognize showing up on caller ID. Hah! Screw 'em if they won't start the conversation.

I do like the SIT tone trick though, and grabbed the clean wav file recording to put at the beginning of my answering machine message. I figure it couldn't hurt with the onslaught of political calls that are about to start ringing phones off the hook relentlessly. Thanks for the link to the "Telephone Tribute" site!

Ender

FairPlay
@verizon.net

FairPlay to JALevinworth

Anon

to JALevinworth
I didn't spend $$$ on phonetray, and yes, it works for me. I don't have to waste my time. I have it set to answer these calls after one ring, play a variety of messages back at them, then disconnect. Also know what the SIT tone is. phonetray will reproduce it, then disconnect the call.

Either way, they usually get the message and stop calling.

JALevinworth
@embarqhsd.net

JALevinworth

Anon

said by FairPlay :

I didn't spend $$$ on phonetray, and yes, it works for me. I don't have to waste my time. I have it set to answer these calls after one ring, play a variety of messages back at them, then disconnect. Also know what the SIT tone is. phonetray will reproduce it, then disconnect the call.

Either way, they usually get the message and stop calling.

My mistake, Fairplay.. I misunderstood your reply to me saying other programs (phonetray) can "take it a step further and allow you to zap these calls." as if it was doing something different than CITs.

BtW, "phonetray" is not free past 30 day trial now, even though you didn't pay for it when you got it - others reading this would have to.

-Jim
JALevinworth

JALevinworth to Ender3rd

Anon

to Ender3rd
said by Ender3rd:

I really shouldn't tempt fate, but the silent treatment seems to have worked for me. After sticking with that approach I have not received a credit card services call in months. I still do the silent treatment on the rare occasion when I see a number or entity I don't recognize showing up on caller ID. Hah! Screw 'em if they won't start the conversation.

I hear ya, lol.
said by Ender3rd:

I do like the SIT tone trick though, and grabbed the clean wav file recording to put at the beginning of my answering machine message. I figure it couldn't hurt with the onslaught of political calls that are about to start ringing phones off the hook relentlessly. Thanks for the link to the "Telephone Tribute" site!

Ender

Hey, no problem Boss. Enjoy & Good luck
JALevinworth

JALevinworth to JALevinworth

Anon

to JALevinworth
CITs SITs

once again... my fingers knows not what my brain does.

Kibbles
Premium Member
join:1999-07-31
Mission Viejo, CA

1 edit

Kibbles to Ender3rd

Premium Member

to Ender3rd
I used to get one call from "card services" a year...now its 4-5 times a week...what I have learned is..

They buy/subscribe to the Do Not Call list..that way they can verify it is a real number.
They charge $500-900+ for their services.
They have been based anywhere from Canada,Scottsdale AZ,Florida...my guess most are now off shore..Netherlands,Hong Kong,Mariana Islands,Augoura Hills CA

The latest number they are using is an AT&T Tracphone...AT&T won't/can't do anything since the number is being used for forwarding.
I remember a year+ ago reading Craigslist ads looking for people to work with consumer's credit cards...it was a "work at home" business opportunity.
If you answer the call from them...you number gets added to an "active" list where other scammers will try to text/contact you.

I have talked to one of them...she spoke normal English...she wanted my CC#,the phone number their system called,the CC security code,my name ,address and contact phone number.
She assured my she was going to follow all Consumer protection laws...I asked he if that was true...why did she call a number that is on the Do Not Call list...she hung up...then three more calls came in from "card services".

It looks like one way to stop the calls is not to register a number on the Do Not Call list..or block their current number.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by Kibbles:

They buy/subscribe to the Do Not Call list..that way they can verify it is a real number.

That seems to be standard operating procedure for US firms that call Canadians now. Once you sign up to the DNCL the telemarketers and fog horn call swarm your line like mosquitoes in Winnipeg.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview to Ender3rd

Premium Member

to Ender3rd
I have taken the steps to refuse to answer any calls where I don't recognize the number, basically if it's not in my whitelist, it's blocked, period. People that know me that need to reach me have other ways to get in touch, and I can then whitelist their number if needed, but these scammers, thieves, telemarketers, and political robocalls have left me no other choice.

I use Ascendis Caller ID call blocking software installed on a spare computer and routed thru a Zoom 56K USB Modem, and have had peace & quiet for the past 2 years.
Whip5
join:2009-01-23
Califon, NJ

Whip5 to garys_2k

to garys_2k
said by garys_2k:

said by Whip5:

Newest number I got a call from: 941-312-2238

Thanks, I added to my "send to disconnected number/SIT tone list."

You can add this one too from today:
503-563-0072

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

Thanks. I also had to add 213-550-3070 to the pile.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

As of today at 4:42 pm caller ID shows:

Lower Interest
503-457-1085

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

Let's see if they do:
»www.usatoday.com/tech/ne ··· 097276/1

They can bloody well add politicians to this list.

Apparently robocalling a cell phone is still illegal.

garys_2k
Premium Member
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to Doctor Olds

Premium Member

to Doctor Olds
said by Doctor Olds:

As of today at 4:42 pm caller ID shows:

Lower Interest
503-457-1085

Thanks, they must have a block of 503-457-1xxx numbers, as I also have 1025 and 1836. Scumbags.

FairPlay
@verizon.net

FairPlay to JALevinworth

Anon

to JALevinworth
Check the phonetray site. There is still a free version that has fewer features than the pay version. Works for me. As I explained, it allows you to track the numbers and "zap" the calls, either manually or automatically. When I get an unrecognized number, I run it through the various sites online, such as whocalled.us or 800notes, see what it is, and then put it on my zap list with an appropriate message. If I've answered a call myself, and let them know that I'm on the DNC, and tell them to add me to their list, I also add that number and let it play a message that repeats that they need to remove my number from their list. Most calls that I have personally answered ignore my request and just continue to call back, so this is what they get. Turnabout is fairplay!

Just trying to provide an option for others who don't want to talk to these scammers. I know that there are new rules going into effect about robo-calls, but it will never stop the scammers.

Kibbles
Premium Member
Mission Viejo, CA

Kibbles to Ender3rd

Premium Member

to Ender3rd
Looks like they are using an old number I started getting calls on my home answering machine from 406-224-9787 which appears to be over a year old...its the same old "we have been contacted by you credit company authorizing..."

FightBack
@comcast.net

FightBack to Doctor Olds

Anon

to Doctor Olds
I have multiple numbers for Rachel blocked. They just keep changing the number. Pressing the "opt out" number never works, nor does reporting the number to the real "Do Not Call" registry. Perhaps it is time we fight back. Battle plan:
1) don't ignore the calls anymore
2) don't press the "opt out" number
3) do press the talk to someone number
4) then do one of the following:
a) easiest - just set the phone down for a while - don't talk to the person, just tie up their line
b) better - talk to the person
1) try to keep them on the line for a while, just don't buy into their pitch
2) ask for more information such as:
a) new interest rate
b) what banks or issuing banks they represent
c) does it affect all of your cards
3) if you can keep them on the phone for a while, THEIR cost will go up considerably
4) you will tie up one of their lines and prevent calls to additional people

garys_2k
Premium Member
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to Ender3rd

Premium Member

to Ender3rd
I go with the whack-a-mole approach of blocking new numbers once they get a new one through. The DO recycle their numbers a lot so, while new ones can get through, most of the calls hit the SIT tone.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

1 edit

DrStrange to garys_2k

Premium Member

to garys_2k
FWIW:

406-224-9xxx = PACIFIC TELECOM COMMUNICATIONS GROUP in Livingston, MT
503-457-1xxx = PACIFIC TELECOM COMMUNICATIONS GROUP in Tillamook, OR
503-563-0xxx = PACIFIC TELECOM COMMUNICATIONS GROUP in Portland, OR

213-550-3xxx = BANDWIDTH.COM CLEC, LLC in Los Angeles, CA

941-312-2xxx = LEVEL 3 COMMUNICATIONS, LLC in Sarasota, FL

jkk
@rutgers.net

jkk to Ender3rd

Anon

to Ender3rd
I was able to get there direct line in Florida .. Call them relentlessly 772 344 2556 and give them a taste of what its like

Kibbles
Premium Member
Mission Viejo, CA

Kibbles

Premium Member

said by jkk :

I was able to get there direct line in Florida .. Call them relentlessly 772 344 2556 and give them a taste of what its like

I wonder if that is the company that the spam calls are comming from...from their site
"Company Pricing
Range $499.00 up to $1499.00 "

From what I have read that is the amount people were or going to be charged for the "Credit Services"

There is a physical address..looks like they are next to a vet office.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
Bristol, CT

DrStrange to jkk

Premium Member

to jkk
If we can confirm that this is the business where the calling originates, the next person who receives a call can fill in that info on a complaint to the FCC. That will help them shut down this particular 'card services' operation.

It's a pity there aren't rewards paid for turning these people in. If the feds cut victims and informants in for even 1% of the $11,000-per-call fines from a successful prosecution, some people could have a nice second [or third, etc.] income.

bobby
@bellsouth.net

bobby

Anon

People, all of the numbers that you have listed with the exception of 1-800-218-8787 are spoofed numbers. Frauduantly using someone else's number instead of their own. How do I know? They used my number to call me one day. This is in violation of FCC and FTC rules (laws?). FCC and FTC will not heed our complaints. Nothing will be done by them to stop this. The have no power to enforce the Do Not Call lists.
Shutting down the organization for a couple of days a year is not enforcement. Fines of $1,000,000.00 are.

Prove me wrong please.

I just received a call and explained to them that my number has been on both the Federal Do Not Call list and my states Do Not Call list for three years, the girl responded "the is no call list" and hung up.

Nothing will be done.

I will now call the 1-800-218-8787 number 10 times a day, which will coast me nothing, but will cost them $. Be sure to place *67 in front of their nomber, *6718002188787 to block your number from being displayed.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
Bristol, CT

DrStrange

Premium Member

Submit the 800 number in your complaint along with your evidence that the owner of the 800 number is calling you.

That's something the FCC can act on.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

*67 suppresses caller id, 800#s use a different system which is NOT suppressed by *67
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

harald to bobby

to bobby
The FTC is active in going after these folks, and has had some success, but they have the same problem we do - the number provided by caller ID is fake and there is no way to trace it after the fact.

If you are truly having trouble with repeat calls, get with the nuisance call bureau of your phone company. You'll have to push them and they will make you jump through hoops, but they will put an ANI trace on your line and pass the info to law enforcement.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

1 recommendation

Doctor Olds to bobby

Premium Member

to bobby
said by bobby :

I will now call the 1-800-218-8787 number 10 times a day, which will coast me nothing, but will cost them $. Be sure to place *67 in front of their nomber, *6718002188787 to block your number from being displayed.

As posted by others, *67 does not work with Toll Free calls like 1-800, 1-888, 1-877, 1-866, or 1-855. They have ANI. There is no star-code (*-code) to block ANI.

Automatic number identification
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Au ··· fication
quote:
Automatic number identification (ANI) is a feature of telephony intelligent network services that permits subscribers to display or capture the billing telephone number of a calling party. In the United States it is part of Inward Wide Area Telephone Service (WATS). ANI service was created by AT&T for internal long distance billing purposes,[1][2] and is not related to newer caller ID services. Inward WATS is purchased by customers so that other telephone users (for example, prospective customers) can call the number toll free. The customer is issued a distinctive toll-free telephone number beginning with a special area code such as 800, or more recently, 888, 877, 866, or 855. Subscribers to these numbers are typically called Inward WATS subscribers.

ANI has two components, information digits, which identify the class of service,[3] and the calling party billing telephone number.

ANI is also used to describe the functions of two-way radio selective calling that identify the transmitting user.
caps620
join:2009-01-18
Central NJ

caps620 to Ender3rd

to Ender3rd
We don't use our home phone all that much so a few weeks ago I decided to have our multifunction printer with FAX answer all the calls for a few days. So far so good, it's been quiet (for now) but I'm sure this is only temporary.