how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

willzzz

join:2007-05-23
SE MI

New Level3/GBLX (Global Crossing) net is truly breath-taking

AS3356 and AS3549 are about to be a crap-load better!

Interactive Map: »maps.level3.com

Laminated Map: »maps.level3.com/default/Level3_L···_map.pdf

Truely amazing. Access to 4 of the 5 continents and 50ms from 90% of the world's population I'm guessing with business and intelligence that matter.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3

1 edit
Meanwhile.... internet routing in Canada continues to be absolute crap. Packets have a habit of taking the scenic route due to very limited peering between ISP networks, and very limited established backbone networks.

pstewart
Premium,VIP
join:2005-10-12
Peterborough, ON
kudos:1
said by TheMG:

Meanwhile.... internet routing in Canada continues to be absolute crap. Packets have a habit of taking the scenic route due to very limited peering between ISP networks, and very limited established backbone networks.

Depends on your provider - some providers have worked very hard to try and keep Canadian traffic in Canada with a huge focus on peering.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

2 edits
said by pstewart:

Depends on your provider - some providers have worked very hard to try and keep Canadian traffic in Canada with a huge focus on peering.

Maybe it's not so bad in Ontario, but in Alberta it's a compromise no matter which ISP you choose. Some have better routing to the west, and some have better routing to the east. No ISP has good routes to both east and west.

In general, if your ISP is Telus you have better routes to the east than anything in the west. For the most part, anything in the west ends up being routed through the east, which is obviously terrible.

If your ISP is Teksavvy or Shaw, then you've got good routes to the west, but your routes to the east are terrible.

If you want, post up a list of various IP addresses from a mix of eastern and western locations, and I'll run some traces comparing Telus and Teksavvy (unfortunately I don't have a Shaw connection anymore as it's not available where I am).

pstewart
Premium,VIP
join:2005-10-12
Peterborough, ON
kudos:1
said by TheMG:

said by pstewart:

Maybe it's not so bad in Ontario, but in Alberta it's a compromise no matter which ISP you choose. Some have better routing to the west, and some have better routing to the east. No ISP has good routes to both east and west.

In general, if your ISP is Telus you have better routes to the east than anything in the west. For the most part, anything in the west ends up being routed through the east, which is obviously terrible.

If your ISP is Teksavvy or Shaw, then you've got good routes to the west, but your routes to the east are terrible.

If you want, post up a list of various IP addresses from a mix of eastern and western locations, and I'll run some traces comparing Telus and Teksavvy (unfortunately I don't have a Shaw connection anymore as it's not available where I am).

Fair enough.... I was being Toronto focused in my post (my fault for being short sighted) Yes, the "west" definately doesn't have the same options as the "east" does overall - that's for sure and unfortunate.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to willzzz
said by willzzz:

Truely amazing. Access to 4 of the 5 continents and 50ms from 90% of the world's population I'm guessing with business and intelligence that matter.

Hmm, could be why the Dakotas and Alaska are excluded.