spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Tommm

@pacbell.net

what speeds can I expect with Fusion @ 7800' ?

I'm 7800 feet from the CO and currently get 3Mbps with AT&T. This is the fastest speed I can get (6Mps results in too many errors). My line quality is as follows: SN: 12db, Atten: 35db.

What can I expect with single Fusion?

Also, would Fusion be on Fastpath or Interleave? I play fps games.

xan_user

join:2004-11-18
Santa Rosa, CA

»Is ~7000 feet away from CO supposed to be about 6 Mbps?

CCNnorthcali

join:2004-03-07
San Francisco, CA
reply to Tommm

If Fusion is an option over AT&T, go with it. 3Mb is slow for that distance, but since Sonic don't artificially cap you, I would be surprised if you didn't get better speeds with Sonic. Also, you can decide if you want to use Fastpath or Interleave. Good luck getting better speeds and service!

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:9
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Tommm

It is very difficult to make accurate predictions of the final speeds of a DSL line. Your attenuation with 35db is ok, less would be nice but since attenuation is primarily determined by distance there isn't anything you could do to change it except move closer to the CO Note that the attenuation displayed by your modem is the attenuation at a single frequency (300kHz) and actual signal attenuation will be less at lower frequencies and more at higher frequencies. If the connection between your home and the CO was a good quality Cat3 cable then attenuation at 1MHz (upper end of the ADSL1/ADSL2 spectrum) would be 62db (2.6db for every 100m or 328ft).
Your 12db SNR suggests that there is still some speed increase possible even within the same protocol that is currently being used (assuming ADSL1 ?).

If you were optimizing for speed alone I would suggest to try the line with a DSLAM SNR setting of 6db (which may require interleave to handle line errors better). Since you need a low latency (fastpath) connection for gaming you may be better off with 9db SNR. A lower SNR setting makes your line more sensitive to noise but allows more signals to be transmitted (meaning higher speed, but potentially more errors due to noise).

My guesses:
Reducing SNR from 12 to 9 db may get you perhaps another 1Mbps (there is some uncertainty in that figure, it could be slightly more but it also could be substantially less).
Going from ADSL1 to ADSL2 may gain up to 50% more speed so you could be looking at close to 6Mbps.
Going to ADSL2+ is hard to predict. You are close enough to the CO that the higher frequencies used in ADLS2+ should improve your overall performance but far enough to make it hard to predict just how much gain there might be. See the comment above how frequency effects attenuation and consider that the additional frequencies added by ADSL2+ are the 1.1MHz to 2.2MHz range.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

Tommm

@pacbell.net
reply to CCNnorthcali

quote:
If Fusion is an option over AT&T, go with it. 3Mb is slow for that distance, but since Sonic don't artificially cap you, I would be surprised if you didn't get better speeds with Sonic. Also, you can decide if you want to use Fastpath or Interleave.
So Sonic doesn't put everyone in the same neighborhood on Interleave? Like AT&T does with Uverse DSL?

CCNnorthcali

join:2004-03-07
San Francisco, CA

Sonic lets you pick whether you want to use Interleave or Fastpath. It's customer specific, not neighborhood specific.