All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
se224141
join:2008-11-18

se224141

SIP call between an Android Phone and Gigaset S685IP

Is there a free solution to setting up a android phone and Gigaset S685IP to be able to talk without going through Betamax or Skype or Google Talk?

I was trying to set up my free callcentric account on Android phone and on callcentric page I set up SIP URI of Betamax account (installed at S685IP) i.e. something like xyz@sip.rynga.com and got a code as 7501. I tried to call 7501 from android phone but it is not going through.

I also tried this method through voxalot a/c from android and it is not going through.

I am running CSipSimple on Android.

Any other solutions or how I can make it work.
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

1 recommendation

Stewart

said by se224141:

Is there a free solution to setting up a android phone and Gigaset S685IP to be able to talk without going through Betamax or Skype or Google Talk?

Are you trying to avoid any intermediate service? If so, why? Reliability? Security? Privacy? Latency? Or, are you just trying to avoid the three you mentioned?

A direct connection between these two devices is not possible in the general case, e.g. if the droid is connecting via 3G. It is IMHO only possible if the droid is connecting via a Wi-Fi router that preserves the source port number and you also have administrative control of the Gigaset's router.

Connection via Callcentric should be very simple -- use two separate free CC accounts. If it doesn't work:

1. Confirm that the CC site shows both phones as registered.

2. Test that each phone can call the CC test number 17771234567.

3. Test that each phone can receive calls, e.g. via SIPBroker.

4. Try calling the Gigaset from the droid, using the 1777 number.
se224141

se224141

I have rynga.com installed on Gigaset and nonoh.net on Android for outgoing calls.

How can xyz1@sip.rynga.com and xyz2@sip.nonoh.net can talk free of cost?

I am told rynga to rynga users or nonoh to nonoh users can talk free of cost using their ids through the desktop client. Is it possible without desktop client i.e. between Gigaset and Android.

Gigaset cannot handle skype and google talk easily.

I am unable to register callcentric on Android (CSipSimple). I have filed a report with callcentric but without any luck so far.
Stewart

Stewart

said by se224141:

I am unable to register callcentric on Android (CSipSimple). I have filed a report with callcentric but without any luck so far.

I have no trouble with CSipSimple (latest version offered by Market) with CC (set up with CC wizard built into app) on Samsung Captivate (Android 2.2) over Wi-Fi. My cell provider here (Orange) prohibits VoIP, so I can't test it over 3G.

What error do you get trying to register? Does your CC account work ok from another app or device?
se224141

1 edit

se224141

said by Stewart:

What error do you get trying to register? Does your CC account work ok from another app or device?

SIP 407 Proxy Authentication Required

Calcentric acknowledged the error and they seems to have fixed now but I am unable to do speed dial *7501 that is supposed to call xyz1@sip.rynga.com

I have filed another complaint with callcentric and hopefully they will update me as to what the problem is.

Meanwhile I figured out it can also be done through sipsorcery. I created two sip accounts and have the same dial plan for the both i.e.

when "*101" then sys.Dial("xyz1@sip.rynga.com")
when "*102" then sys.Dial("xyz1@sip.nonoh.net")

I registered one sip account on my Android and the other on Gigaset. It is working well.

I am further thinking to use sipsorcery only if the following is possible.

when "*103" then sys.Dial("xyz1@sipsorcery.com")
when "*104" then sys.Dial("xyz2@sipsorcery.net")

Unfortunately it is not working. Is it supposed to work this way? If yes, what should I check?

-----------------------------------------------------------

I had made mistake. It should be sipsorcery.com instead of sipsorcery.net. It works now.

mgraves1
Premium Member
join:2004-04-05
Houston, TX

mgraves1 to se224141

Premium Member

to se224141
I've done what you ask using my T-Mobile G2 and Counterpath's Bria Android Edition in conjunction with OnSIP. You could use GetOnSIP, sip2sip.info, or any other free SIP registrar.

At the house we have Gigasets and some Polycom phones. With the current Bria we enjoy HDVoice as long as the G2 has adequate bandwidth.
se224141

se224141

said by mgraves1:

I've done what you ask using my T-Mobile G2 and Counterpath's Bria Android Edition in conjunction with OnSIP. You could use GetOnSIP, sip2sip.info, or any other free SIP registrar.

At the house we have Gigasets and some Polycom phones. With the current Bria we enjoy HDVoice as long as the G2 has adequate bandwidth.

I was trying to achieve this through sipsorcery but found this to be very unstable in just a day of trial.

I created another callcentric account and went for callcentric for calls between android and gigaset.

Callcentric were prompt enough to resolve all the issues. Actually these were related to settings on android at my end.
Stewart

Stewart

For this purpose, SIPSorcery is a poor solution, because it doesn't proxy the audio, so if the router at the originating end alters the RTP source port number, you're SOL. IMO CC is your best bet, because it always proxies the audio and does connection-oriented media (often called symmetric RTP), even when the source router tries to make it appear that the client is on a public IP. And, since CC's DNS SRV records point to port 5080, they avoid all manner of port 5060 butchering done by various routers and cellular carriers.

I'm curious what "settings on android at my end" were involved. In my case, I selected the CC wizard in CSipSimple, it asked for user ID and password -- there was nothing else to set, it just worked.
se224141

se224141

said by Stewart:

I'm curious what "settings on android at my end" were involved. In my case, I selected the CC wizard in CSipSimple, it asked for user ID and password -- there was nothing else to set, it just worked.

They advised me to do the following:

1 Within CSipSimple please disable all codecs except for PCMU and PCMA.
2 Please make sure to uncheck "Enable Network ICE". First they had advised me to check.
3 please change your caller ID to be sent out as your 1777 number. Alternatively, you can block your outbound caller ID on a per call basis by dialing *67 before the number you want to call.
4 Under Settings click Network then Enable the following options:
Resolve Dns SRV

CanerisIlija
join:2011-01-19

CanerisIlija

You can set up a couple of Ekiga accounts. Have your Gigaset auth'd to one and your SIP client auth'd into the other. It will easily work if you call from your cell and it should work when calling with the Gigaset as long as the handset supports SIP URI's/
se224141

se224141

said by CanerisIlija:

You can set up a couple of Ekiga accounts. Have your Gigaset auth'd to one and your SIP client auth'd into the other. It will easily work if you call from your cell and it should work when calling with the Gigaset as long as the handset supports SIP URI's/

As much as I know Gigaset and also CSS (Android) don't support dialing a SIP URI. How would you handle Ekiga accounts in this case?

CanerisIlija

CanerisIlija

said by se224141:

As much as I know Gigaset and also CSS (Android) don't support dialing a SIP URI. How would you handle Ekiga accounts in this case?

Some Gigaset combos (handset and base) offer dialing by SIP URI.. You would put it in as the e-mail address and you could dial. My handsets are older generation so they don't support that, but newer generation handsets and bases do. There was a thread on that here, dig it up.

Here's the test that I did:
-Device 1: Android phone (Gingerbread port) running SIP Droid, authd to account1@ekiga.net, on mobile data network
-Device 2: Gigaset base auth'd to account2@ekiga.net on cable Internet

I called Device 2 from Device 1 and was able to talk to the person who picked up. There was a bit of lag, but that's due to the mobile data network.

By the way, I would be HIGHLY surprised if CSS didn't support dialing by SIP URI as it's more feature-rich than SIP Droid. However, SIP Droid meets my needs and I like its OS integration better, so that is what I use on my phone.
se224141

1 edit

se224141

Mine is S685IP and it doesn't support dialing SIP URI. Please suggest me any tip or trick for this purpose.

Similarly I couldn't figure out from CSipSimple's dialer how I can dial a SIP URI. Any suggestions!

CanerisIlija

CanerisIlija

I just installed and ran CSS.. To put in the SIP URI, you have to click on the man icon in the upper left corner and it will open the "Sip uri or autocomplete" field.
se224141

se224141

said by CanerisIlija:

I just installed and ran CSS.. To put in the SIP URI, you have to click on the man icon in the upper left corner and it will open the "Sip uri or autocomplete" field.

Thanx a lot. It was very helpful.
gweidenh
join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX

gweidenh to CanerisIlija

to CanerisIlija
To allow for SIP URI dialing using my Gigaset A580IP, I register the phone to an Onsip.com account. (Their hidden a la carte plan is free).

You then map extensions to sip uri's. Onsip is certainly not the only company that lets you do this. However, they are one of the few that allow you to have multiple sets of SIP credentials.

So your Android phone could be extension 7001 and your Gigaset could be extension 7002

If both devices are registered to Onsip, you just dial the 4 digit extension to dial the other party.

Within the gigaset, create a dial rule such that any number starting with 7-0-0 automatically uses the Onsip account for the outgoing call.

CanerisIlija

CanerisIlija

I've done the same with voip.ms. Since I use their service, I just created multiple sub-accounts and the devices just auth to them and dial each other as 101, 102, 103.
gweidenh
join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX

gweidenh

Yes, I thought voip.ms could do this as well.

To my knowledge, there are few providers that allow one to do both of these tasks:

Have multiple sets of SIP credentials
Allow extensions to be mapped to sip uri
se224141

1 recommendation

se224141 to gweidenh

to gweidenh
said by gweidenh:

To allow for SIP URI dialing using my Gigaset A580IP, I register the phone to an Onsip.com account. (Their hidden a la carte plan is free).

Thank you. Very helpful information indeed.

Does Onsip require only US number to sign up? It doesn't let me sign up with a non-US number?