Search similar:

uniqs
colcorn
join:2002-02-27
Wolcottville, IN

colcorn

Slow Speeds in Indiana

Hello all,

I live near Wolcottville, Indiana and have been experiencing slow internet speeds only in the evening. I have ignored it for months because I have been told by the local tech's that the bandwidth is exhausted. Unfortunately its pretty bad from about 4pm till 11pm my 3 meg dsl crawls and ping times double.

Can anyone from CenturyLink put together something like a website that would tell us when and if you are going to resolve these bandwidth issues. I see alot of posts out here. AT&T and Verizon Wireless have nice sites that say when and where they are adding towers and capacities for cell phones. Why can't CenturyLink tell us when they are going to resolve these ongoing issues.

My speeds for tonight. Thanks CenturyLink for my high speed always on 3 meg circuit:

djpoptart
Yummy I like Pop Tarts Don't You?
join:2003-10-05
Rensselaer, IN

djpoptart

Howdy ColCorn,

Not quite sure where Wolcottville is in Indiana, but I am not to far from Wolcott, IN.

My speeds all day have been great, till about 8:30PM, then they took a nosedive into a pile of pigdung. I can't even get an upload speed higher than 30Kbs right now. And thats not helping out my business that requires a "high-speed" connection. Well I ain't getting a "high-speed" connection. My internet right now is slower than a turtle trying to crawl through molasses.

CenturyStink better get on the problems, or they are going to go the route of Netflix, and start losing customers, which then will drive their stock prices down, then hurt them financially.

I wish I had more alternatives than to this currently crappy DSL connection. And I don't bother to call them, cause they all do the same crap. Recycle your modem and router, disconnect the phone cord, BLAH BLAH BLAH! Last time I called customer service, the stupid customer service rep SCREWED UP MY MODEM! Luckily I knew how to reset it back to the way I had it. They got alot of morons working for them.
djpoptart

djpoptart to colcorn

to colcorn
Oh, you can see my speed tests in a new topic I started above.
colcorn
Wolcottville, IN

colcorn

Hello djpoptart,

Here are my speeds this evening. Can't even use it. My AT&T wireless devices are running edge faster.

Down right disappointing. Tech's tell me nothing they can do. So when are we going to fix these issues CenturyLink? Post up when the bandwidth exhaustion issues are going to be resolved. Give us an update.

Woodishi
@embarqhsd.net

Woodishi to colcorn

Anon

to colcorn
Talked to tech yesterday that said their engineers have isolated a problem limiting speed, but that it would take awhile to implement a fix. Wouldn't give me an ETA. My 10meg is crawling right now and is only good for text-heavy websites. Decatur, Indiana
heimdm
join:2008-06-22
Martinsville, IN

heimdm

That is because the fix is more upstream bandwidth which they are not going to buy because that costs money.

EmoHobo
join:2010-07-16

EmoHobo to colcorn

to colcorn
Is that what's happening to me right now in Warsaw Indiana

Today: »www.speedtest.net/result ··· 5932.png

Yesterday: »speedtest.net/result/156 ··· 6274.png
colcorn
Wolcottville, IN

colcorn

My speeds tonight.

These numbers are actually improving. Earlier I could not even get the test to run. Once again this is 3 meg DSL line.

Attached is a traceroute. Apparently the Indiana network is a holy mess.

Tracing route to www.l.google.com [209.85.225.105]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 3 ms 3 ms 3 ms 192.168.248.1
2 61 ms 48 ms 41 ms in-184-0-64-1.dhcp.embarqhsd.net [184.0.64.1]
3 334 ms 205 ms 101 ms 67.237.47.141
4 234 ms 200 ms 99 ms 208-110-248-225.lightcore.net [208.110.248.225]

5 134 ms 82 ms 101 ms bb-chcgildt-jx9-01-ae1.0.core.centurytel.net [20
8.110.248.14]
6 219 ms 140 ms 164 ms 208-110-240-26.lightcore.net [208.110.240.26]
7 71 ms 104 ms 100 ms 209.85.254.122
8 124 ms 129 ms 176 ms 72.14.237.108
9 351 ms 333 ms 85 ms 209.85.241.22
10 223 ms 207 ms 306 ms 209.85.241.27
11 * * 116 ms 209.85.248.102
12 143 ms 73 ms 233 ms www.l.google.com [209.85.225.105]

Trace complete.
HeavyHemi
Premium Member
join:2001-05-24

HeavyHemi to colcorn

Premium Member

to colcorn
You're not the only one. They tell me that maybe it will be fixed by the end of Nov...it's basically unusable. E-mail times out, pages time out etc etc. I got rid of Dish Sat for this? This result is actually 'fast'. What a bunch of crap.

colcorn
Wolcottville, IN

colcorn

Worked with tier 4 support on Monday. Everyone is telling me there is no bandwidth exhaustion issues. After doing testing with them and showing them traceroutes they finally admit there is an issue. I called last night to get an update since your supposed to wait 24-48 hours for a resolution. I was told lthat a facility is running at 100% utilization but since there are not many users reporting the issue CL will not fix the problem. There is no ETR on when this issue will be resolved. Very disappointing. I was told they are trying to find a way to resolve my issue and to call back in another 48 hours. Knowing how small of a town I live in I doubt that anything will be done. On Monday Ligtel will be installing a wireless internet link. If CenturyLink cannot provide a time on when this will be resolved I'm done. I can't believe CenturyLink would allow data facilities to run at 100% and not upgrade them. This is very poor strategy.
colcorn

colcorn

Update. No fix due till maybe 12/15 with additional work in the new year. In the meantime the issue only gets worse. Ping times during off peak hours hoover around the 200ms.

I think CenturyLink needs to be more proactive on upgrades. Why would any company that is trying to provide a service wait till its customers are screaming to act. If you see your facilities are running at 100% and your starting to see slow performance you should upgrade. I guess its all about the money.

EmoHobo

2 edits

EmoHobo to colcorn

to colcorn
I'm now getting my slow speeds like it's peak hours, even though it's barely noon now, I didn't think it could get any worse.

Edit: I swear these wait times get longer everytime I call them. It's almost been twenty minutes.

Edit: I just got off the phone with them, another promise of having it fixed in up to 72 hours, here's hoping that's true.
EmoHobo

EmoHobo to colcorn

to colcorn
They actually went out and replaced some damaged items they told me on the phone today as I had no service and I called them to ask why.

Things are back now, but they seem slow, speedtests are giving me only about half of what I pay for, I can't tell if this is congestion or if this is some issue with the new components they installed.

I'll update around 1 AM EST to find out.
colcorn
Wolcottville, IN

colcorn

I had wireless internet installed earlier this week. The provider will be upgrading in a few months but installed 7meg down 2meg up service. During peak hours I don't get the full 7 megs but I no longer have dial up speeds like I had with CL from 3pm till 11pm everyday and throughout the weekend. Sorry guys but I'm moving on. My pots line is set to port out to Vonage this week also. CenturyLink might resolve this in a few months but it seems they have a track record of overselling and continuing to add customers to there network with no plans of adding bandwidth until people complain.

EmoHobo

EmoHobo to colcorn

to colcorn
Things seem far better at night now due to this upgrade but congestion still exists.

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 7028.png
colcorn
Wolcottville, IN

colcorn

Your speeds look good. I could only get 3 meg tops because of my distance from the CO. The WISP tower is a bit busier at night but here's what I hit with a wireless link:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 6035 kbps (754.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1002 kbps (125.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 123 ms
Saturday, November 26, 2011 8:06:43 PM

Latency can be higher too but for us it works pretty good. I might plug my modem in tomorrow and see if these upgrades resolved anything in my area.

EmoHobo

EmoHobo

Well those speeds where post-congestion. I get about 1/4th that during peak hours which I know is still far better then most.
EmoHobo

3 edits

EmoHobo to colcorn

to colcorn
Just had an outage, for no apparent reason. Really hope it wasn't a problem on my end.

Edit: Another Disconnect, I really hope this isn't a pattern.

Edit 2: Just got another, but a friend on facebook confirmed they are having the same issue, so something must be up.

Edit 3: Went down again for even longer, called them about it and they said they couldn't offer me any help because their systems are down, I've never been denied support by any company before. They basically told me to call later.

Comradette
@embarqhsd.net

Comradette to colcorn

Anon

to colcorn
I am having the same problem as EmoHobo. My connection has died several times tonight for about 15-20 minutes each time. I haven't called them like EmoHobo has, mostly because they're extremely unhelpful. This isn't the first, or even the third, time this kind of thing has happened.

IndyRTB
@embarqhsd.net

IndyRTB to colcorn

Anon

to colcorn
If CenturyLink is not delivering the speeds that they are charging you for....call them for a refund of service for the month. If they will not give you a refund, file a complaint with the Indiana Attorney Generals office:

»www.in.gov/attorneygener ··· 2434.htm

CenturyLink will not fix the problem until it starts costing them money.

EmoHobo

3 edits

EmoHobo to colcorn

to colcorn
Okay, from doing all these speed tests and trace routes, I noticed one server with lightcore in the name slowing everything down

That server is now down and my ping is nearly cut in half. It's really quite refreshing. I could actually feel my net speed up now that this Lightcore server is down in the Warsaw area.

Edit: If it's not the lightcore, whatever Century Link just changed and whatever server is down, it made my ping a lot lower.

Edit 2: and now I just came back from losing service. Also now that server is back online and my ping is back to where it was.

Edit 3: Maybe it's the chicken little in me but I always fear that one day my internet will not "recover" from the slow speeds and it seems tonight that's kind of the case, despite the fact it's passed the time where my net normally returns to normal speed, it's just not today.
EmoHobo

1 edit

EmoHobo to colcorn

to colcorn
Normally I have full speed during this time but now I have only 2 of my 8 Megs, I wonder what's going on.

Edit: If I switch to their business plan does the congestion still exist?
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink to colcorn

to colcorn
Hey everyone, this is B with the CenturyLink Help Team. If anyone needs further assistance with your service, I'll be happy to check your DSL line for any issues. E-mail me at TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com, and I'll be glad to help.

Thanks,

B
CenturyLink Help Team
RonR
join:2003-10-10
Ash Flat, AR

RonR to EmoHobo

to EmoHobo
said by EmoHobo:

If I switch to their business plan does the congestion still exist?

Nothing changes but your bill.

EmoHobo

EmoHobo to colcorn

to colcorn
All day my speed has not gone above 2.50 Megs, which is highway robbery for what I play.

Also I tried contacting talk to us and they haven't responded in several days.
ydoucare
join:2003-03-12
Lafayette, IN

ydoucare to colcorn

to colcorn
Typical CenturyLink practice: Sell, sell, sell, sell, sell, sell, sell, sell, sell, blow off customer complains, sell, sell, sell, sell, sell, sell, try to ignore customer complaints some more, sell, sell, sell, sell, sell, sell, maybe improve network, sell, sell, sell......

guy54435
Premium Member
join:2003-02-19

1 recommendation

guy54435 to colcorn

Premium Member

to colcorn
Here is a site to see outages events resolutions and such »support.centurylinkservi ··· 3f1f0eaf You have to signup for a account, and drill down a few menus to set what you want to monitor. After you have your notices pick just save and you will be notified of an event that happened and you chose to receive info on. Here is a link to a pdf that explains it better, »www.centurylinkservices. ··· uide.pdf Hope this helps.
ydoucare
join:2003-03-12
Lafayette, IN

ydoucare to colcorn

to colcorn
Merry Christmas to me. So tired of this garbage. I dealt with this BS for a year. They admitted the DSLAM was oversold, and it took them a year to complete their "bandwidth relief" project.....which has lasted a whole 6 months at best? Pathetic company!!

And pay no attention to the relatively decent latency reading. Speedtest.net is next to worthless in measuring latency, as i'm sitting here watching my first-hop ping in real-time jump all over the map 80+ while doing the tests.
djpoptart
Yummy I like Pop Tarts Don't You?
join:2003-10-05
Rensselaer, IN

djpoptart

Hello there fellow Rensseltuckian. I too am getting shit speeds tonight. I have the 5Mb down account, I live out in Madison Cottages north of town and they say I cant get the 10Mb service, yet a buddy who lives on Cullen has it. Go figure.

djpoptart

djpoptart to colcorn

to colcorn
To bad the cable in this town sucks just as bad. They got a bandwidth cap that sucks anus.

This ones a little better:

Its pretty sad when your upload speeds are better than your download speeds. This download speed ain't right, the test for the download didn't look like it was goin right:

This ones just pathetic: