Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102

Re: The Carrier Response

said by pnh102:

And that would generally be true. Outside of people like us, most people don't care about speed in terms of numbers. Just as long as their favorite websites load "fast" things like speed don't matter to them.

Link? And as long as things are fast speeds don't matter?
tman852
join:2010-07-06
Columbus, OH

1 recommendation

tman852

Just go talk to any non technically savvy person that pretty much only uses the computer for facebook and random non bandwidth intensive junk which is like 90% of internet users. There's your link

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek

Premium Member

The only problem with that argument is that more and more people are streaming media rather than just using their connection for facebook.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102 to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
said by TheBionic:

Link? And as long as things are fast speeds don't matter?

Go ask the average non-tech user how fast their broadband connection is. They probably won't even know what you're talking about. For them, Internet (sic) is either "slow", "fast" or "down."

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
united state

1 recommendation

TheBionic to tman852

Premium Member

to tman852
said by tman852:

Just go talk to any non technically savvy person that pretty much only uses the computer for facebook and random non bandwidth intensive junk which is like 90% of internet users. There's your link

90% eh? Link?

Even if that number is true, (and I call bs) like thegeek See Profile said, more and more people are streaming media, and more and more people will want to as time goes on. Hell my mom uses a Roku box to stream Netflix and she doesn't know a meg from a hole in the ground. Just because she doesn't understand the jargon doesn't mean she doesn't need or want the speed.
TheBionic

2 recommendations

TheBionic to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102
Again, just because they don't understand the jargon doesn't mean they don't want and or need it. And regardless, I'd imagine you would get different answers depending on how you framed the question.

"Do you need ultra high speed broadband for your daily needs?"

Answer: No.

"Would you like to have the option to watch high definition movies streamed over the internet via a service like Netflix?"

Answer: Yes

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek
While I don't have an account, Facebook has a ton of media-rich content available now. It's not simply a text repository outlining a casual acquaintance's boring and embarrassing moments. Those addictive visits to Facebook might include several videos, some casual gaming, or even catching a UFC mixed-martial arts fight or similar special event.

In fact, Facebook is one of the few things that might have the power to eventually force the ISPs to rethink their cap and overcharge strategy, as it might be big enough to move forward with technology despite the providers' efforts to crush it with unwarranted restrictions.

Although, we may have a bigger issue on our hands if Facebook continues along as it has been; a bit like releasing the lions to take care of the hyena problem.

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek

Premium Member

good points about facebook. i don't use it either but my wife and oldest daughter are on it all the time. my oldest son is starting to use it regularly as well. i know they all post and view photos and videos on there all the time. i'm sure the bandwidth used for that site will keep increasing.

michieru
Premium Member
join:2009-07-25
Denver, CO

1 recommendation

michieru to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102
All of my customers have been wanting faster services that even includes people who just do business. Some are sending large file attachments now compared to maybe a year ago. Higher quality pictures and video are being demanded. More of my customers prefer remote assistance without the need of a local technician.

Online backups is another big one with some of my customers, like carbonite, skydrive and vise versa. Now that more and more devices can access the internet it's really not about the personal computer anymore but all the devices that need to run on a single connection at home.

Split a 6mbps connection with 3 computers and 3 wireless devices such as a cellphone and add 3 tv's per living room and all your left with is a bogged down connection.
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky to TheBionic

to TheBionic
said by TheBionic:

"Would you like to have the option to watch high definition movies streamed over the internet via a service like Netflix?"

those 2 are not relevant to eachother, you don't need ultra high speed broadband to watch hd movies. 5.8 mbit is more than sufficient

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by prairiesky:

said by TheBionic:

those 2 are not relevant to eachother, you don't need ultra high speed broadband to watch hd movies. 5.8 mbit is more than sufficient

I think you missed my point...we're talking about people here who wouldn't know the difference. So you could obtain whatever response you wanted simply by framing the question a certain way.