spc
Search similar:

uniqs

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour

Cost?

What would be really interesting is a cost vs. speed and consumption comparison. If what my on-line friends and colleagues tell me is any guide: We in the U.S. are getting about the worst deal of any developed country, other than perhaps Great Britain and France?

I do know that my on-line colleagues and my in-laws in The Netherlands are appalled by what we get for what we pay in Internet access, cable/satellite TV and wireless phone service.

Thirty years ago I had the choice of staying in The Netherlands or moving back to the states. I chose the latter, because this was where the tech. was. Now the situation is reversed, and my wife and I are seriously thinking about moving.

Jim
Lotheron
join:2009-04-03
Wesley Chapel, FL

1 recommendation

Lotheron

I think its much easier to blanket just over 16 thousand square miles of land compared to almost 4 million.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

1 recommendation

thedragonmas

Premium Member

said by Lotheron:

I think its much easier to blanket just over 16 thousand square miles of land compared to almost 4 million.

that argument never holds water, if that was the case than NY would have the fastest and cheapest broadband in the country.

jseymour
Waterford, MI

jseymour to Lotheron

to Lotheron
said by Lotheron:

That would be true only if you were talking about roughly equivalent landscape. But it is likewise true that it's considerably easier to run copper, fiber or cable in rural areas, where there are few obstructions, than it is in cities.

Jim
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky to jseymour

to jseymour
isn't it cheaper and a little less ridiculous to just pay $100 a month or whatever the fastest package available to you is? than to move half way around the world solely to have faster Internet?
prairiesky

prairiesky to jseymour

to jseymour
easier is only good if there's revenue to pay for it. at $50/month it takes a lonnnngggg time to pay of a truck roll, or $1000 install for fiber

jseymour
Waterford, MI

jseymour to prairiesky

to prairiesky
said by prairiesky:

isn't it cheaper and a little less ridiculous to just pay $100 a month or whatever the fastest package available to you is? than to move half way around the world solely to have faster Internet?

It isn't just Internet connectivity. The U.S. is falling behind in every aspect of consumer telecommunications services. We pay more and get less for it than they do in much of western Europe and Asia.

This has been the case for years and, if anything, the disparity is growing. Once-upon-a-time the U.S. was the place to be if high-tech was your game. That is not so much the case anymore, and it's becoming less so as time goes by.

Jim
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky

so then it's internet, landline and cellphone that would make you move half way around the world? As far as i know, north american has really never been a front runner. People have always looked to the orient for their tech needs

jseymour
Waterford, MI

1 recommendation

jseymour

said by prairiesky:

so then it's internet, landline and cellphone that would make you move half way around the world?

It's more than just that, but those certainly figure into it.

You're trying to turn this into a discussion about me. This isn't about me. This is about how the United States of America, once a front-runner in tech. and telecommunications services (not to mention a bunch of other stuff) no longer is.
said by prairiesky:

As far as i know, north american has really never been a front runner. People have always looked to the orient for their tech needs

Wow!

How far we've fallen How depressingly sad

Jim