All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to mb6

to mb6

Re: Just another example

So if broadband is a necessity what speed would be required to meet that necessity? 3-6Mb would be more than sufficient to meet today's requirement to be a necessity.

Vamp9190
Premium Member
join:2002-02-11
Chantilly, VA

Vamp9190

Premium Member

You answered you own question, nice.

battleop

battleop

No, my answer would be 1.5-3mb.

I still don't belive that it's a "necessity" on the same level as electricity or water. There are plenty of people who still get by just fine without highspeed internet.

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday
join:2001-09-07
Sudbury, MA
552.8 23.8

joetaxpayer

said by battleop:

No, my answer would be 1.5-3mb.

Is that enough to stream Netflix/Hulu with no issue? NF site shows 4.8Mb/sec for an HD stream.

I agree that most people don't care about the number itself, just like I don't know my car's horsepower, but they want enough speed to watch video and download files in reasonable time. I guess with all the gadgets that can stream video, it's really (5mbs * people) + a couple meg for simultaneous surfing.

battleop

battleop

Hulu and Netflix are hardly necessities.

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday
join:2001-09-07
Sudbury, MA
552.8 23.8

joetaxpayer

said by battleop:

Hulu and Netflix are hardly necessities.

I'm trying to parse out the "3-6Mb would be more than sufficient to meet today's requirement to be a necessity."

You're right, I suppose, if the ISP were to offer a level of bandwidth that was low end, to pass the good citizen test and help those who can't afford it otherwise. I'd even make a case that 1Mbs can be considered the 'need' level for $10/mo. It would cover browsing and picture transfer for grandma.
I see your point. I was probably answering a different question, minimum level for normal activity while paying a regular price ($50 or so).

battleop

battleop

Yea I was replying to those who seem to think that the internet is your civil right.